Phone Contacts not syncing with Google Account Contacts

sara9876

Sep 12, 2015
Visit site
What finally worked on my Droid Turbo was Contacts->Settings -> Contacts to Display.
List of options was displayed. Selected "Customize" from this list.
List of accounts was displayed. Selected my Gmail account from this list.
List of categories is displayed. Checked the box for "All other Contacts" on this list.
Then all contacts from my Gmail contacts were finally pulled in to my Phone Contacts App.

Lisa Schindler

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Nope. That doesn't work either. All my contacts are on google gmail and google drive. put the account info on my phone, synced and only synced 120 out of the 1000 contacts on my Galaxy note 5. Been on phone with samsung and google for 3 days and no one can figure this out. Can you?

Tried it and didn't work. Had to sign into samsung, etc. A pain in the ****.

Last edited by a moderator:

haneyman

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
Confirmed, you cannot have Outlook sync contacts and expect Google contacts to sync. As soon as I unlinked the Outlook account on my phone, the Google contacts appeared.

karennotageek

Dec 26, 2015
Visit site
Hi. I was having a problem with my computer data sync-ing to my phone but my phone data not sync-ing to my computer. I use google for both. Don't use a third party contact manager. I have a Samsung S5. Very frustrating. I just tried something that seems to have fixed the problem. Went under SETTINGS, hit ACCOUNTS, then hit GOOGLE, then hit "Personal Info & Privacy" and then "Activity Controls" and then "Device Information" and made sure it was set to "on". (It had been on "off" or "pause".) Now my phone seems to be updating my google account when I make changes to it. What is weird is that this has nothing to do with a "synch" feature and my husband spent over an hour a month ago messing around with "synch" buttons and whatnot and it did not fix the problem.

sanjayonnet

Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Normally if syncing is enabled and working then all your contact being made in google a/c automatically get sync. However, if you create contact in Device then at time it may not sync with google. So, try following --

Open CONTACTS, open the menu and choose MOVE DEVICE CONTACT TO option, now in pop up list select GOOGLE, and then specify the google account .. and its done!

Cheers!

andrasfuchs

Jun 24, 2016
Visit site
Contact option was not listed in Android's (v.6.0.1, Marshmallow) Settings / Accounts / Google sync menu.

The problem was that the Contacts Sync application had no access right to my contacts.

To fix this, I switched the Settings / Apps / Gear icon / App permissions / Contacts / Google Contacts Sync toggle.

After that it started to sync, but I got the same 'Sync is currently experiencing problems'.

It turned out that I exceeded the Google API call limit for the day, so after 24 hours it synced successfully.

To figure out what the problem exactly was I connected my phone through USB to my PC, enabled debugging on the phone, used the `adb logcat` command from the Android SDK and examined the errors/exceptions in that log. This way you can get to the bottom of your issue as well.

Ryan Christian1

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

I had been having issues getting ALL my contacts to sync. ie. I have 8090 contacts but only about 4400 would sync.

I turned off all syncs besides contacts and switch over to wifi, reran the sync and after some time, all the contacts were visible.

I did this a couple times, but the instance where it work, I specifically switch to Wifi and it worked.

On a side note, I have had more problems with my Android device in the last 6 months then in the last 10 years of using an Android device. I am nearly being forced to the dark side of the iphone universe but would hate that so much that I am willing to suffer through this super buggy 6.0 in hope the Google will make it right. Is anyone out there? Can anyone talk me off the ledge more that I have already done myself?

farmeunit

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I install Cyanogenmod 13.0 night from 09102016 and OpenGAPPS and couldn't find Google Contacts Sync anywhere. I had to install the APK manually, then followed andrasfuchs instructions and it was there. It still doesn't appear to be syncing though. Samsung S5 here.

I have tried clearing cache, delete storage, it was a clean wipe, etc..

I have similar issue when I first flashed to 13.0, but cant' remember what fixed it. It's still not working at this point, though.

alorlando

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem, I was syncing my Gmail. However, some contacts were Gmail, some Verizon cloud. What I was instructed to do was export all my contacts to external storage or my SD card, and then import them back. When I imported them back it asked where to import them and I picked my Gmail account. I then synced my Gmail account and they are all there!!

Cnave1215

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
Sync is currently exsperincing problems it will be back shortly is the error message I get when it comes to my contacts only every thing else is synching. Help please!

Jon battle1

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday, I added a contact to my People app on my Nexus 5. According to the settings for that app, Auto-sync is on and includes my Google account. The phone claims that Contacts has been synced for my Google account. Yet, sitting here at my computer and looking at Redirecting..., that contact is not present. Is there something else I'm supposed to do to get these things to sync? Does syncing only work down and not up?

EDIT: I just checked my contacts on outlook.com (which I also have set to sync with the phone's People app), and the contact IS there. My Google phone is syncing better with Microsoft than with Google, itself?

I have an alcatel onetouch from metropcs, i found how to do it, the problem what i realize is it was trying to backup google account contacts only on the phone. I fixed it using these steps,

Go to: people -> go to setting by hitting the right most button -> Import/expoort -> select phone -> click at top select all contacts -> OK.

after i did that the backup settings sync all contacts stored on my phone by default.

Lexamundo

Aug 11, 2016
Visit site
Manfred - Thank you for your geniousity ! Android 7.0, Samsung S6. 3 Contacts added to Google Contacts synced, 2 did not. 12 hour wait, still 2 did not sync. Added a new Contact in the phone, and it did not sync to Google Contacts. Turned off Medium Power Saving in settings, all Contacts synced both ways immediately. Thank you Manfred !