How to export Contacts to Excel?

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Still having issues where my contacts are not showing up on my car via Bluetooth. Only a few show up, the vast majority do not. The only way I can get them to show up is if I change my work (Exchange) email client to say TouchDown HD or something like that, but I'd prefer not to add another email client to my phone (I likely would if Touchdown supported multiple email addresses via IMAP/POP, etc, but not sure if that is the case?).

I'm wondering if I can export the contact list to excel, whether I can see the difference between the contacts that show up and the ones that don't? I'm guessing the ones that don't are ones that were originally created in Outlook or something like that.

Thanks!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Still having issues where my contacts are not showing up on my car via Bluetooth. Only a few show up, the vast majority do not. The only way I can get them to show up is if I change my work (Exchange) email client to say TouchDown HD or something like that, but I'd prefer not to add another email client to my phone (I likely would if Touchdown supported multiple email addresses via IMAP/POP, etc, but not sure if that is the case?).

I'm wondering if I can export the contact list to excel, whether I can see the difference between the contacts that show up and the ones that don't? I'm guessing the ones that don't are ones that were originally created in Outlook or something like that.

Thanks!

Is this similar to what you are looking for?
Export contacts from Outlook to Excel - Outlook - Office.com

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
@pbc - where are your contacts stored? are they gmail contacts? If so, you can log into gmail (using computer) and download from there.

Regarding your issue, have you given access to your contact list in bluetooth settings after pairing? Or only call history?

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
@pbc - where are your contacts stored? are they gmail contacts? If so, you can log into gmail (using computer) and download from there.

Regarding your issue, have you given access to your contact list in bluetooth settings after pairing? Or only call history?

No, they are pretty much all Outlook Exchange contacts for my work email address, they wouldn't be gmail contacts. I just setup a gmail email address recently when I switched from my Blackberry Q10 to Android (Nexus 5).

I am giving access to my contact list and phone history after pairing. I think anyhow, I just say "yes" to whatever access it wants (can't recall off hand if I get one request just for history and one for contacts, or if it just says "history and contacts").

It's the oddest issue. But has to have something to do with how my car's bluetooth is interpreting the Exchange contacts folder. So I'm wondering if I export my contacts from my N5 whether I'll see some differences in the data between the ones that do import and the ones that don't to my car. Checking the "People" app though, it doesn't appear to be the case as 99% of my ~900 contacts are listed under my work email address and only 3 are listed in my gmail address. But I get about 30 or so contacts that show up properly in my car so it appears to be a mix.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if exchange contacts are sent to car over BT. (I know that Google contacts are).
The reason why some exchange contacts are showing up "might" be because they are in your recent call history or recent sms history

pbc

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
That's where it gets odd, the contacts that get ported over are a mix and mash of ones that I haven't used in ages (years in some cases). Recent ones (like my own house or wife's cell for example), do not get sent over.

They show up in my "call history" simply as a phone number with no contact attached.

It is literally the weirdest thing I've encountered on this phone so far.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I suspect those contacts are ones that gmail created for you (as contacts that are not in gmail-contacts, but are ones that you contacted at some time). You can delete those out of gmail if that is the case (go in using the computer's browser).

Your own house/wife's cell - are those in gmail contacts? If so, I can't think of any reason for those to not sync up (unless you aren't syncing your google contacts to your phone)