How Do I Avoid Using Gmail Account???

xPiZZeRx

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
My first Nexus 5 was stolen from me about a week ago, so I picked up another one. I figured out on the last one how to set up the phone with my Hotmail account and avoid using my Gmail altogether. I did it on my Nexus 4 too. I can't figure it out on this new one though.

Like when I go to "Accounts" in the settings, and I click on "Google", it shows my Hotmail account. That's on my Nexus 4 and old Nexus 5.

Thanks for any help.

aspot72

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
My first Nexus 5 was stolen from me about a week ago, so I picked up another one. I figured out on the last one how to set up the phone with my Hotmail account and avoid using my Gmail altogether. I did it on my Nexus 4 too. I can't figure it out on this new one though.

Like when I go to "Accounts" in the settings, and I click on "Google", it shows my Hotmail account. That's on my Nexus 4 and old Nexus 5.

Thanks for any help.

Do hard reset and when setting up your phone add your Gmail instead of Hotmail.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Didn't realize this was possible. I know you can avoid using the Gmail account altogether, but to have hotmail show up when you click on google is odd.
If you just want to avoid using gmail account, you can just remove the google account from your phone. (settings, accounts-google, tap on the account, and click on menu at top right and remove)

Note that once you do this, you can't use any of the google services - no play store, no google music, no google calendar, no google contacts etc.

If you just want to not use gmail (Email), but retain all other google services, you can just set up gmail to not sync. But if you tap on the google account, it will show your google services listed there

xPiZZeRx

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I don't even know why it's possible lol, but I finally figured it out. I was just entering the wrong password lol. I'm not sure how I started this, but the password to my Hotmail account and the password to actually use my Hotmail account on my phone instead of Gmail are different. So, I just tried my other passwords and it worked.

And ya, I know you can just remove your Gmail account at any time. And with this Hotmail account set up as my Google account, I can still access the store and everything.

aspot72 -- I was trying to avoid using my Gmail account, but thanks.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
but the password to my Hotmail account and the password to actually use my Hotmail account on my phone instead of Gmail are different.
... Umm... what?

And with this Hotmail account set up as my Google account, I can still access the store and everything.
You can't really download/install apps from the play store without signing in, and you can't sign in with with a non-google account - https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/2521798?hl=en
But whatever...

xPiZZeRx

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
No, I already did sign in with my Hotmail, and I am able to use the store lol. Like I just did it. Everything works fine.

And the password thing...I was entering the wrong one, that's why it wasn't working. To sign into my Hotmail account on Outlook, I use "password A". But for some reason, to sign in to my phone as a google account, it uses "password B".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo