Question "Login information incorrect Try again" for hotmail

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Early 2024 I started getting
"Login information incorrect
Try again"
on hotmail accounts and I am 100% certain that I give the correct password. I have about 5 hotmail and outlook.com accounts.

I never had to enter passwords ever after setting them originally but suddenly I began getting "notifications" that I needed to login to the server, and I would ALWAYS get this message. On one of the accounts, I deleted the account and re-added it, and it worked. I had to do that twice.
Then even THAT stopped working. On 2 accounts. So I tried a (to me) risky move, "uninstall updates" under triple dot.

Now after that move, I MUST manually add each [Microsoft] account. And they're all giving
"Login information incorrect
Try again"

(One catch, and please just skip this topic instead of giving a sermon about this, I'm on Marshmallow. And I never update apps if humanly possible. The reason is because I very, very badly want to keep this particular phone for numerous personal reasons, and the bloat is so insane on apps (most of ALL, the Android system) that I have to tenaciously constantly fight against hitting my maximum wall of 16 gig. From what I can tell, Marshmallow itself is using 10 gig and every time I update the O/S, or ANY app, I start crashing into the wall again. So it's Marshmallow and minimally updated apps for me, I hope that you will be understanding and are willing to solve this new crazy problem for what it is.)

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried logging in on the website rather than the app?

If there's no problem there this would indicate the issue is with the app if you're not updating it, or equally the phone as its running a long unsupported OS.

Reactions: Daniel Detkowski

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
GRR-hotmail-login-on-phone-error.jpg
(Note before I begin: everything here involves Microsoft email domains, not gmail)
Thank you for your almost complete restraint to sermonize. "Long unsupported" - sigh :-O

I did have an adventure entering email on the browser. (BTW, seamless on other devices, and all passwords still work, and haven't changed for years).
On a non-Chrome browser that works on 98% of all sites:
https://outlook.live.com/mail/0 (or even if I omit /mail/0 )
involuntarily irritatingly throws me to
and clicking "Sign in" on THAT page is 100% nonfunctional. Tap, nothing. Tap, nothing.

In Chrome it doesn't enter outlook; it just gives me the google result for search term https://outlook.live.com !!
And how about this: under google result for outlook.live.com it says
Outlook - Microsoft
No information is available for this page.
Brrr! BUT I clicked it anyway; it goes to that same microsoft page but from there, shockingly, eventually I DID fully get to the outlook.live.com page and fully logged in to 1 account (after changing password). Just that account.

Now back to the email app. I did get set up and fully functional in that ONE account(only after changing port 80 to 443. But only that one.) For the next account, using the same info
m.hotmail.com (I also tried eas.outlook.com, not helpful)
Domain: left it gray or empty
Port: 443, NOT 80
CHECKED SSL (Client certificate None) and tap NEXT and, oh no,
"Login information incorrect.
Try again"
with UNchecked SSL, same infuriating message.

If it matters note I have NOT gone to 2-factor on any device, any account.

I'm keeping Marshmallow on this device. So some spitballs that occur to me if no one recognizes the exact solution:
- Here is how to reinstall the Android app "Email" as of a specific date or O/S.
- Here is how to clear data and cache (which I did). Remember to restart the phone (I did).
- Here is a "name brand" anti-virus link to try.
- Here is what I use instead of Email and it does everything Email did, integrates well w/ outlook/hotmail, faster, less memory, etc. etc.
- Here are the steps to reinstall a factory app version, short of a reversion to other items and short of "rooting".

As to that last one, that's what I attempted to do by clicking "uninstall all updates".
It seems to have had no beneficial effect. It seems to have a credentials problem, even when I issue correct credentials.

Gates Is Antichrist

Oct 25, 2015
Visit site
Great ideas. (I had heard of the "extra password" but was told it was connected to Two-factor which I haven't elected).

There's still something amiss. Everything worked for years, with no (well, occasional) password changes, no reinstalls for years. Then suddenly one account gave an Android notification that I needed to log in, and when I gave name/PW I got the image above. I removed that Exchange account, re-added it, and great. Then it happened again and remove/add did NOT work. So I (changed the password and) entered live.com in Chrome, and after that I COULD add the account to Email app. But 4 other accounts are refusing. Even after going to live.com and seeing all the Inbox.

I'm not disagreeing with those two solution angles; I'm just saying, that I don't appear to "inherently" need them, because something is plaguing SOME accounts that have always worked fine - with the original app version, and Marshmallow - and now suddenly, the image above - so some, but not ALL of the hotmail.com and outlook.com email accounts, refuse to work. "Suddenly!"

Last edited: