Nexus 5: Cell Signal Problem(s) Fix

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Will Swfl

May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have two galaxy s 4 g, older models and a new nexus 5. Have T Mobile service... it was fine till two weeks
ago.. it's like they turned the towers signal down.
Can you help resolve the signal interruptions, it is exasperating...
Just learned my spouse is terminal (a lot to absorb), they are trying to keep her alive longer...
just turned 50.
Any help you can assist with the signal issues or suggest a better phone and I'll dump the ones
I have. I'd appreciate good advice, feel as though my life is crashing. I need to be capable of receiving
and making calls to the doctors and hospital Chief handling my spouse....the phones are always losing
signal the past 2 weeks, never had an issue before, Nothings changed except the bad news re my spouse.
Thanks. I'm in debt with medical bills, yet would fly to you to fix this for me, I need the phones due to my wife's failing sometime this year and need good phone service.
Very sincere.

Last edited:

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I have two galaxy s 4 g, older models and a new nexus 5. Have T Mobile service... it was fine till two weeks
ago.. it's like they turned the towers signal down.
Can you help resolve the signal interruptions, it is exasperating...
Just learned my spouse is terminal (a lot to absorb), they are trying to keep her alive longer...
just turned 50.
Any help you can assist with the signal issues or suggest a better phone and I'll dump the ones
I have. I'd appreciate good advice, feel as though my life is crashing. I need to be capable of receiving
and making calls to the doctors and hospital Chief handling my spouse....the phones are always losing
signal the past 2 weeks, never had an issue before, Nothings changed except the bad news re my spouse.
Thanks. I'm in debt with medical bills, yet would fly to you to fix this for me, I need the phones due to my wife's failing sometime this year and need good phone service.
Very sincere.

Hi, have you tried turning airplane mode on and off? The cell signals are notoriously bad in many areas in and around hospitals, that wouldn't be a fault of the phones. But it could be that the areas you're trying to call to or from the past three weeks are different than usual. Try the OpenSignal app to see what your signal is in any given area. It can point you towards the nearest towers, too, if you're driving or taking transportation. Best of luck.

Sent from my LG-LG870 using Tapatalk 2

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Cell Signal Problem(s) Fix

Yes you in the Darth Vader mask lol.

I apologize that what I'm about to say isn't relevant to the topic, but....

I've always found it amusing to imagine reading posts as if voiced by the avatar when it's a recognizable figure, such as Kermit the Frog, John Wayne, Barack Obama, etc. In this case, James Earl Jones's Darth Vader makes for a standout example when paired with a tech topic!

omondra

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
None of the modem images listed on the indicated page seem to work.

But I went to Google's repository for factory images and downloaded the full OS archive, decompressed it, extracted the modem file and ran the whole process to flash it. It worked! :D

shawal444

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I am seeing the same issue with my Nexus 5 on Tmobile. The phone connects at LTE, then drops down to H then 3G within a few minutes.

Question: When you say that I can try any of the modem images, should I be trying out the modem images with older versions as well? (I am on 5.1.1)

Thanks

matze0611

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Hello,

is it possible to use this modem on Android M? If not, is there anywhere a modem file for Android M?

Thanks in advance.

Matthias

maulikvora

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I have strange problem, don't know if its related to hardware or Software.

I have Nexus5 bought on December 2013. I have activated HSPA/3G data plan.
I don't get HSPA connnection on my phone, I always get EDGE network and hence need to wait long on EDGE internet.
I tried setting preffered network to LTE, 3G. none worked. dialed *#*#4636#*#*, choose WCDMA only, WCDMA Preferred, nothing worked.
at this moment, I thought this must be a hardware problem.

After reading so many help forums online, I decided to downgrade my phone to Kitkat and see if its a Lollipop update problem.
I reset and downgraded my phone to Kitkat, HSPA signal worked for first 10 minutes and then dropped it. EDGE network again all over the day, night and so on...
Then I upgraded back to Lollipop, first 10 minutes, HSPA worked and then gone forever. disappointed.
So I think, there should be no hardware problem.

Today I got Marshmallow update, I was expecting that this will solve my HSPA/2G problem
After upgrade, I again got HSPA signal for first 10 minutes, then gone. Right now its 2G and I am writing this with disappointed face.

I tried to factory reset my phones few times, all times HSPA signal works for first 5-10 minutes and then never works. I tried to shutdown Google services which may be interrupting my phone software, but nothing worked. My phone is obviously our of warranty and LG Google just can't help me. I went there if they can fix, they reset the phone, They see HSPA, I see HSPA, I got out of the service center, I don't see HSPA :(
They told me to change the some part, I forgot the name but it costs around $125. and it may solve the problem. I think there is a problem with my 3G antenna. don't know I am stuck.

Do you think, trying your solution, may solve this issue for me?

P.S - my friend too have same phone bought after few days then me. Sitting next to me, he always gets the HSPA signal. but I am not. exchanging my simcard to his phone, gives HSPA signal. trying his simcard in my phone, doesn't get HSPA signal.

Devilain55

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
I made a backup with clockwork and when I applied the backup and rebooted my phone, it got stuck in the boot animation. It's been 2 and a half hours and nothing has changed.

Roland Van

Dec 12, 2015
Visit site
I just fix my problem with Nexus 5 signal GSM lost. this problem made me crazy so I open the back and looks inside and put my finger
on the bottom there where is antena and boozer and in this moment my gsm signal back.
So I took very thin wire (about 10cm) and put it in the middle hole and now I have super strong and sharp signal.
IMG_20140711_160634.jpg

evandre

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Thank-you for the walk-through! I'm confused on Steps 2 & 3:

2. Extract the SDK you downloaded to your desktop and navigate to "sdk".

3. Press and hold shift and right click on platform-tools. Click "Open Command Prompt Here".

I used the All-In-One installer for ADB, Fastboot, and Drivers — as Step 1 recommended. That installed a folder C:\adb, with four files in it. I'm not sure what the "SDK you downloaded to your desktop" is referring to. (Please excuse my obvious ignorance; I'm a first-time Android tinkerer). I googled Android SDK, and then I came across an official SDK at 1.1 GB. Do I need to install that, also; or is there a way around doing a 1.1 GB installation? Or am I missing something different?

evandre

Jul 23, 2016
Visit site
Never mind, I think I found what I was looking for.

An article I found provides a file called adb-tools-treiber.zip, which seems to fit the description of platform-tools from the walkthrough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress