Can't transfer files (mp3's) to phone via Windows 8 file explorer anymore!

homerun79

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
This is bizarre, everything was fine until this morning, not sure what's going on but the phone still comes up in Windows 8 file explorer, however as soon as I click the Internal Storage directory, file explorer stalls as the green progress bar slowly crawls along and eventually times out.

The phone says it's in MTP mode.

I looked at the driver supporting this phone for Windows 8 and it says it's from 2006. I found a link for installing thhe Google USB driver but there is no instructions for installing it in Windows 8, although the problem this supposedly helps is the phone not connecting to the computer in MTP mode which isn't an issue for me.

Rebooted the phone and tried again, no luck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Which drivers did you find? (where?)
The Google drivers at Google USB Driver | Android Developers are fairly easy to install - download, and follow these instructions (OEM USB Drivers | Android Developers) - the instructions are the same for Win 8 (just remember to remove the old drivers first, and restart your PC after installing the new drivers)
For more detailed instructions, and for alternate drivers, go to Diagnosing USB Driver and ADB issues in Windows - xda-developers and follow the instructions (step 1, 2) for installing the drivers (you don't need to install ADB to transfer files using explorer)

homerun79

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Which drivers did you find? (where?)
The Google drivers at Google USB Driver | Android Developers are fairly easy to install - download, and follow these instructions (OEM USB Drivers | Android Developers) - the instructions are the same for Win 8 (just remember to remove the old drivers first, and restart your PC after installing the new drivers)
For more detailed instructions, and for alternate drivers, go to Diagnosing USB Driver and ADB issues in Windows - xda-developers and follow the instructions (step 1, 2) for installing the drivers (you don't need to install ADB to transfer files using explorer)

Thanks I got it! In Windows 8 the folders in Device Manager are slightly different, And the Other folder was hidden by default for me. Once I found the Nexus 5 in there, there were actually 2 of them listed which probably was causing some confusion! I uninstalled one of them and updated the drivers on the other one and we are good to go!

homerun79

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Update: Not working again, investigated further and in fact when I look at the "Other Devices" in Windows 8 Device Manager, it says the Nexus 5 is not connected. If I go to Control Panel/Hardware and Sound/Devices and Printers, the Nexus 5 is shown under Devices.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Remove all the Android drivers, reboot your PC, install the new drivers (follow instructions on that xda thread I linked to), reboot, and it should work.
(I would focus on device manager, not the "devices" in Win 8)

homerun79

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the help on this, found another thread that pointed out a glitch in the OS where you must enable daydream or clock when the phone is plugged in to keep the connection the computer...

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help on this, found another thread that pointed out a glitch in the OS where you must enable daydream or clock when the phone is plugged in to keep the connection the computer...
Glad it worked for you, but just so you know, that is not a requirement for MTP connection to the computer. I don't have that enabled, and can connect fine to my computer.
Regardless, as long as it is working, that's what really matters.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
As an alternative, you might also look into an app called WiFi File Explorer. It's great for transferring files back and forth without a cable. Speaking of a "cable," have you tried using a different mciro usb cable?

jaspercasper

Dec 15, 2015
Visit site
I had the problem that i was unable to copy movies from my windows 8.1 pc to my samsung galaxy tab A with lollipop android, I tried everything: copy paste in windows explorer (tablet shows in explorer), used Samsung link, Airdroid (nice program I like it much) with airdroid and video cutter I found out copying files worked, pdf, word, mp3 and small video fragments worked, I used video cutter to cut 30 seconds of movie and copied them to the tab. Usb mass storage does not work on this tablet, I searched for a way to enable it but could not find it also could not find it in developer mode.
I also tried gdrive, dropbox and box
Error messages were very short without a meaningful description, like copying in explorer (two ways convert to a tablet format or not) both had the same message: can not copy (movie name. extension)
Airdroid error message: failed to send file
gdrive, dropbox and box: smth similar
There were two ways that worked for copying movies 1 utorrent 2 copy to the sd card and then insert the sd card to the tabled. Vlc could open all the movies. But these two ways are not very good me.

Against all ratio I tried my old laptop with windows vista (bought 2006), I figured all the time this would not work since Vista was much older than lollipop or the tablet hardware. I started with problems about drivers, asked to search for ABD interface drivers and could not find them. This might be the solution because suddenly I could copy the movies in explorer to the tablet at an amazing speed from 50 seconds per movie (about 1 GB).

I hope someone can use this knowledge it took me a week to figure this out.