Possible hack via car usb...

dewulfe

Jan 8, 2024
Visit site
Hi, first post here, please be kind :)

So I'm an Uber driver, and have a Kia Niro with two usb ports in the front console - one for connecting with the main screen (for media and navigation), and the other just for charging.
My phone is a Samsung S9+ (running Android 10), connected via usb to run navigation and music apps in the car.

Now I had an Uber passenger in my car yesterday who asked to use the charger for his iPhone. But when the passenger plugged his phone into the 'power only' usb, he said it didn't work....didn't charge. Not thinking about it, I quickly switched the apple cable into the main USB port, which he said did work. In hindsight, I feel like I shouldn't have connected a stranger's phone to my car's system.

Later on I checked the power usb port - it worked for my Android phone (but I don't have an iPhone to test it with).

And just today, I plugged my phone into my Win 10 laptop via usb - something I meant not to do until I was sure my phone could not be infected (doh!).
AND as soon as I did that, the 'Photos' application on the laptop booted up - and I haven't seen that happen for a long, long time. Usually plugging the phone won't do anything except make it available to browse via Windows Explorer. Tho sure, I think I've seen that sort of thing (booting an app on device connection) happen sometimes in the distant past, and Microsoft could have programmed that behaviour in an automatic update. Fwiw, it also opened a photo I'd looked at recently on the laptop.

So is this possible? An iPhone with malware connects to my car's system, leaves malware there, which then infects an Android phone when it's connected later, which in turn infects my Windows laptop when it's connected to that. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, especially because it felt like there were a few other weird/dodgy things about the passenger. But let's stay objective here - I've run virus scans (Trend Micro) on both my phone and laptop - nothing has come up. Should I be concerned? Is there anything else I can do?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't be too worried; car systems are way more locked down than mobile ones. If any 'malware' was installed, it would have affected your car system most likely.

That being said, the behavior you're seeing is consistent with Windows recognizing your phone as a 'media' device, so yeah, opening up Photos/Music/Video is standard Windows behavior.

As for the iPhone not working with the charging port, it could have been that the cable they used was not supported just for charging or the power port on your car doesn't deliver enough power for an iPhone to start charge (Android phones are less stringent when it comes to that, even if it'd take hours to charge your phone).

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TSFDeymos