Battery life after three months.

camo15

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys!
After owning the nexus 5 for 3 months I wanted to share my battery life experiences with you all to compare. First off I adore my nexus. The battery life is the only thing that's a let down. On a normal school day 7am-10pm I wake up fully charged. Throughout school it's on stand by with wifi off and data off the majority of the time. I mainly check for notifications and the time. On my way home is when it starts to get used. I use my nexus 5 on 3s 4g lte. Once I come home I switch straight over to wifi. On an average school day I get in and around 4.15 minutes screen time. With brightness at 25% then when the battery gets down to the 30% mark or so I put it on the 10-15% mark. I'm interested in seeing what the differences between stock and custom roms are. As I have no experience with root. I'd love to hear what your experiences are with the nexus 5s battery life.

Posted via Android Central App

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
check signal strength at school and the routes where you travel. If cell signal is weak, your radio will drain the battery.
Look at battery usage - what apps/processes are high in percentage?

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Make sure your location history/tracking stuff is off. If you have a weak cell signal, it will also drain your battery faster. Check your battery usage history and see if any particular app is draining. Also can turn off Google Now and the hotword stuff on the launcher ("OK Google").

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm stock KitKat. Had the phone since early December. Very best I've had is 5 hours of SOT....once. Generally it is more like 3.5-4 hours of SOT on a good day. Basically my only real disappointment with the phone. RMA in process currently. Hoping replacement is better. Planning on rooting it day 1.

Last edited:

Thor20003

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I get no where close to that with my normal day probably around 2hr SOT. Never anywhere close to 4 or 5. I have most battery eating things turned off and brightness on auto.

JohnnyBroccoli

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Geez. Now you guys got me scared that the replacement device could be even worse than the one I'm returning.

To those only getting 2 hours of SOT: does this include playing games or using GPS for live turn by turn direction (while unplugged from a charger)? Because that 4 hours of SOT I have referred to definitely doesn't include any gaming beyond some Words With Friends and doesn't include any use of Google Maps. My best SOT scores are achieved by avoiding Google Maps and any advanced games. Solely using it for web browsing, texts, Facebook, and Instagram pretty much. Brightness usually around 20% unless I am outside in the sun I'll bump it up to about 50%.