Does free wifi tethering with AT&T unlimited plan work on the Nexus 5?

quietlybrilliant

May 12, 2013
Visit site
This never worked on my Moto X.

I just dropped the Moto X and the screen is completely shattered, meaning it is gone.

So I'm thinking of getting the Nexus 5, and being able to do small amounts of tethering again would seal the deal for me.

Thanks.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
I use my Nexus 5 with my Grandfathered Unlimited DATA plan and I tether from time to time without issue.

Dan

Posted via Android Central App

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
I use my Nexus 5 with my Grandfathered Unlimited DATA plan and I tether from time to time without issue.

Dan

Same here...With both an N4 and an N5(2 Grandfathered plans). My wife and I don't abuse it but we do use it a few times a week to tether our MBA's and never had a problem. Though I am not in a contract and really don't care if they have a problem with it or not. In this day and age you should only be charged for Data used and the carriers should just be dumb pipes instead of money printing machines.

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Oddly, I have been lightly tethering since the days of my Sony Ericsson W995a and I have not heard one iota from at&t, but friends who have tethered, sometimes just once, have notified by at&t that have been naughty by tethering and in some cases are going to have their DATA plans amended.

I think it is a case of each persons experience maybe different from my own.

Dan

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Everyone can get caught eventually . AT&T does packet analysis all the time but obviously not on all phones. If you somehow trigger their interest, a simple packet analysis will easily reveal your data pattern is from a PC, not a phone.

I have recently given up my unlimited data plan in exchange to 10GB family shared plan to save $40 a month. With that, any phone in my plan can tether legally. And it won't be capped after 5GB either. The advantage of unlimited data plan is simply not there once you received notice that you will be capped after 5GB limit.

Of course, if you are one of those intend to abuse it and rack up 10s or even 100s GBs of data, that's another story. For me, we barely break 4GB this month.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Everyone can get caught eventually . AT&T does packet analysis all the time but obviously not on all phones. If you somehow trigger their interest, a simple packet analysis will easily reveal your data pattern is from a PC, not a phone.

I have recently given up my unlimited data plan in exchange to 10GB family shared plan to save $40 a month. With that, any phone in my plan can tether legally. And it won't be capped after 5GB either. The advantage of unlimited data plan is simply not there once you received notice that you will be capped after 5GB limit.

Of course, if you are one of those intend to abuse it and rack up 10s or even 100s GBs of data, that's another story. For me, we barely break 4GB this month.
That cap doesn't really bother me, its still fast enough for everything I stream and only downloading podcasts takes a bit.

The new $115 share plan is the first plan that I have considered that would still provide me with enough data. I am paying $140 right now(24% FAN) for 3 lines and 13GB of uncapped data(2 unlimited 1 3GB plan) If that is the plan you got Fox...Do they allow your own phones on all lines or do you have to get next phones for the extra lines.

If they allow any phones for all lines I may consider it. It would save me around $35 a month for 10GB...Not too shabby The Next phones would be a fail though.

foxbat121

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Any phone. You only need to pay Next if you buy a subsidized new phone from them. In fact all my four phone lines are still under contracts and AT&T let me use the discounts without paying extra for. It is $100 base plus $15 any phone you added. The corporate discounts will only apply to your line which is $115.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I had to leave AT&T after they announced the throttle when they started caps.. Couldn't take it :p.

Either way though OP... You can tether on a nexus 5 with AT&T grandfathered unlimited plan but if they catch you.. They can force you to a capped plan.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Any phone. You only need to pay Next if you buy a subsidized new phone from them. In fact all my four phone lines are still under contracts and AT&T let me use the discounts without paying extra for. It is $100 base plus $15 any phone you added. The corporate discounts will only apply to your line which is $115.
Thats how I read it when I first saw it, then I must of got confused with one of their other plans. Even with just my fan on the $115 that still comes to $28 or $117(For 3 lines $145-$28=$117) for the 10GB. Since my wife uses almost no Data on her unlimited plan and the kid uses all of her 3GB every month. It should be a win win.
Thanks
I had to leave AT&T after they announced the throttle when they started caps.. Couldn't take it :p.

Either way though OP... You can tether on a nexus 5 with AT&T grandfathered unlimited plan but if they catch you.. They can force you to a capped plan.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.
Thats only half true...If you are no longer under contracts, they can't force you to do anything. Thats the beauty of having Unlocked phones.

Honestly I think they care less and less. Their new share plan allows tethering and costs less. So if they could force me to it, I would actually save money....

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
If you get an unlocked Moto X you should be able to tether with that too. I haven't tried it though, so I can't say for sure.

JConn_Lefty

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
i've been using my nexus 5 as a mobile hotspot to watch movies on youtube through chromecast since my first day of ownership. so far, att has not commented on my data usage. last month i think i used over 20gb. but then again, i've been a loyal customer for over 15 yrs (like any companies care...). but if they try and make a big deal, i'll just ship to tmobil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member