Pixel 3XL, Note 9, Something else, Stick with what I've got?

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi all. Sorry this is a long post so massive thanks in advance for anyone that actually reads it and even more thanks to those that respond with their thoughts.

Before I go any further this video below is basically me when it comes to buying things (I, like Sheldon, also went HD-DVD rather than Bluray initially).

So about 6 months ago I decided to treat myself to a new phone (I do this often) and went from a Note 8 to an iPhone X. Why? Well I wanted something new and shiny, that happens a lot.

With Android I like the flexibility I have, I can make the phone my own, if I get bored of it a new launcher or some tweaks here or there and it's almost like having a new phone.

With Apple I like how everything just sort of works thanks to the fact that there is such limited range of hardware, the software and apps are made specifically for those devices rather than having to cater to almost infinite different versions. I also really like the Apple Watch.

I mainly use a phone for web browsing, watching videos whilst on the go and messaging. I generally like to have the biggest screen sizes I can get.

Decision 1 - Do I just stick with what I have or go for something else?

The iPhone X does everything I need it to but the Note 8 was one of my favourite phones and I've always been drawn to (but am yet to own) the Pixel phones.

Leaving Apple I'd lose:
- Face ID which is lovely for unlocking my phone especially since when at my desk I don't have to pick up my phone to interact with it. It's also nice because it works for my HSBC mobile banking App meaning I don't have to remember complex passwords to check my balance or to authenticate.
- Apple Watch. I've had one of the first gen Moto smatch watches, one of the Gear watches and the Gear Sport but none of them quite seemed to measure up. I like the square screen to me it's a logical shape for a screen it's also small and light enough that I don't notice it until I need to. It's also nice for being able to reply to messages quickly.
- iMessage. I don't care what colour the message bubbles are that said I do regularly text family and friends that live in the US and I live in the UK who have iPhones so I need to get them to use WhatsApp to get messages from me which is doable but not as convenient especially since WhatsApp doesn't seem nearly as popular in the US as it is in the UK.
- Animoji. I don't use these often but sometimes I do to crack up my wife or mother in law.

Going back to Android I'd get:
- Customisation. I don't like having apps on my home screen (other than at the bottom) so I can look at a lovely wallpaper. I can change launcher. I can change app icons and names. I can have real widgets.
- Something new. My iPhone X is fine as I've said but it doesn't excite me, it's functional, it's a very good piece of kit but for something that I use a lot on a daily basis and that costs so much I want it to be a joy to use, I want me to look forward to interacting with it. My upgrade path staying with Apple is basically a larger version of the same phone. That's not an exciting change to me. I remember going from a 6 Plus to a 6S Plus and thinking "Great I've just spent £X to buy the same phone I already had".

Decision 2 - Do I go for a Pixel 3 XL, a Note 9 or something else?

Firstly I think the Pixel 3 XL looks gorgeous, I've always wanted a Pixel device, if the 'Panda' 2 XL had wireless charging and a slightly bigger screen it would be mine right now. I know some people hate the notch, I've had a iPhone X so I can deal with a notch and rightly or wrongly I do look at it as space for information that I don't want taking up space on the main screen area.

I also like the dual front firing speakers. I often show people videos on my phone sometimes in fairly noisy rooms so that would help a bit.

I've never had a stock Android device and that appeals to me and sometimes all the bloat Samsung put on their phones is a bit annoying.

4GB of RAM. So I know the Pixel 3XL has less RAM and I know a lot of reviews picked up on Apps being closed in the background. Not sure this is an issue for me, I tend to close down Apps after I am done with them, maybe I'll have music playing whilst web browsing or on the BBC news App but that's typically about as multi-tasking as I get. I also understand the problem is due to how aggressive the memory management is rather than the 4GB not being enough and that is due to be addressed? That said I like things fast, I don't want to see stutter in navigating my phone, I want it buttery smooth for it's life which for me 12 months would probably be the max.

S-Pen. I really liked that I could write on the screen whilst the screen was off with my Note 8. Was pretty helpful for work.

Face Unlock. So I know the Note 9 allows for some facial recognition but it never really worked for me on the Note 8. I also know that Google have removed the trusted face and trusted voice smart lock features. If I go Android I will get a smart watch though so I believe I can still use that as a trusted device to keep the phone unlocked?

On paper the Note 9 wins but I think I want the Pixel 3 XL more, maybe it's because I had a Note 8 and as much as I liked it I don't want a phone where similar to when I went from a iPhone 6 to a 6S I feel like I've spent all that money for such a similar device.

HELP ME!

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
Gracious man ...:confused::confused:

Get a Note 9 if you're looking for a premium Android device. From your post, it doesn't sound like to me that you've defined what type of experience you genuinely want from your technology and you like new/different features.

Note 9 will have every feature under the sun. Keep your iPhone and just find a good price on a N9.

Just my one cent, because MHO isn't worth two...

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Gracious man ...:confused::confused:

Get a Note 9 if you're looking for a premium Android device. From your post, it doesn't sound like to me that you've defined what type of experience you genuinely want from your technology and you like new/different features.

Note 9 will have every feature under the sun. Keep your iPhone and just find a good price on a N9.

Just my one cent, because MHO isn't worth two...

Thanks for the response, it is very much appreciated.

The Note 9 definitely does seem to win on paper against pretty much everything else on the market which would normally mean I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, there is just something about the Pixel 3 XL that keeps tempting me.

Ultimately whatever option I go for is a lot of money to spend especially if I'm not sure about making the right choice.

I think at the moment my head is telling me stick with what you have and save the money but also it's saying if you do get a new phone anyway get the Note 9 but my heart seems to be pulling me to the Pixel 3 XL.

Most reviews I've watched or read talk about the features of the device but don't really go in to 'living' with the device.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
I think at the moment my head is telling me stick with what you have and save the money but also it's saying if you do get a new phone anyway get the Note 9 but my heart seems to be pulling me to the Pixel 3 XL.

What about the 3 XL do you think you would find value in? I'm asking as someone who has owned every Pixel from launch, and they have been perfect for me, but I'm one of the first to say it's not for everyone. The feature set is different and more subtle than something like a Samsung. It is definitely a function over form device, as Google intends for it to be.

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
What about the 3 XL do you think you would find value in? I'm asking as someone who has owned every Pixel from launch, and they have been perfect for me, but I'm one of the first to say it's not for everyone. The feature set is different and more subtle than something like a Samsung. It is definitely a function over form device, as Google intends for it to be.

For me I very much like the design of the Pixel 3 XL. That's not to say I don't like the Note 9 but with it looking so similar to the Note 8 having something that looks quite different appeals to me.

The stock Android and lack of bloatware also appeals and I like a few of the nice little software features such as the call screening and some of the camera tricks. I also like the cloud storage for photos that Google provides.

The dual front firing speakers are also a nice selling point for me.

Both at home and at work I use Google apps quite a bit and generally speaking I like the Google experience.

That isn't to say I've made my mind up on a course of action or that the Pixel 3 XL is the perfect device for me, just that I do find it appealing. I know you can get devices that do more, like the Note 9 but part of me thinks I'd rather have something a phone that just knows what it is (and what it isn't) and just does what it does well. Traditionally with Samsung phones I've found they've tried to almost throw too many features in to see what lands, that said the Note 8 I did find to be an excellent device.

anon(10092459)

Nov 25, 2016
Visit site
That isn't to say I've made my mind up on a course of action or that the Pixel 3 XL is the perfect device for me, just that I do find it appealing. I know you can get devices that do more, like the Note 9 but part of me thinks I'd rather have something a phone that just knows what it is (and what it isn't) and just does what it does well. Traditionally with Samsung phones I've found they've tried to almost throw too many features in to see what lands, that said the Note 8 I did find to be an excellent device.

Ok, I can understand this. I think there's something to fewer but deeper, when it comes to a UX. An edited, more curated experience is definitely a preference for myself. If that's the case, Pixel brand may very well speak to you if you already use a suite of Google's services. I think Pixels don't reach their maximum potential if a user prefers other services, like Microsoft for example. There are better devices suited for that space, IMO.

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
The only reason you get a Pixel device is Camera, camera, camera.
Aside from that once Google learns your habits, Adaptive Battery is amazing. I consistently get 6 hour SOT on my 2XL. My Pixel 3 is on it's way. The notch bothers me so I am getting the smaller device this time around.
Software and security updates are also nice.
Putting Qi charging finally brings Pixel inline with the other premium devices. Although locking down the fast charging to the Pixel stand is a dumb move IMO.

Note 9 is a great device but the ergonomics I didn't care for. I like the S9+ ergonomics better.

Hope you narrow down your choices soon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali