Nexus 5: Google Updates

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
One of the things that has annoyed me about Android is the random/slow rate of updates compared to iOS. Apple seem to be able to update to a new version of iOS for ALL devices (old and new) at the same time. Given that, I suggest the 2nd reason above is not valid unless you think Apple have better and bigger servers than Google. To me it just frustrates users. Google should change it so that an update is available if a user manually/explicitly checks for it.

That's an excellent idea that I think Sprint was planning to try out for one of their recent OS updates (it didn't work, at least not based on the reports).
Basically, it would work just as you recommended. For enthusiasts who want the update NOW, and are mashing the "check for updates" on the OS update (or are visiting the play store for app updates), give them the updates then. For the large majority of folks, who don't even know about the OS/App updates, push it out at the current schedule.
There has to be more behind Google's current process, but we users don't know :)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
There has to be more behind Google's current process, but we users don't know :)

Nah... they just don't want to grenade an entire class of phones by releasing an update that had a defect that got one past the goalie.

Keep in mind that Apple only has to deal with an extremely limited number of devices and operating systems. And even then, they've blasted out updates that have caused some issues.

When Google sends out an update for, say, Google Play.... the number of different combinations of Android versions, device AND carriers is staggering... and impossible to check through. I saw a chart... I think it might have been on Gizmodo or something, that showed the fragmentation.... Phone models, versions of Andriod they are on and what carrier they were loaded on. It was an INSANE graphic...and the data was gathered from visits to some random mobile web site (might have been a store or something, can't remember, but it wasn't Google's data).

I can only imagine the DB Google is looking at when they say "OK, who is going to get this GMail update?"

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Apple seem to be able to update to a new version of iOS for ALL devices (old and new) at the same time.
I like that about Apple as well. But it's not like their method is without its hitches. An OS update immediately upon release usually takes several hours if it goes well, but often errors out. It's easier to just wait a day or two to install the update.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
An OS update immediately upon release usually takes several hours if it goes well, but often errors out.
Well I (and wife and kids) have had many iOS devices over a few years and never had a problem with any update. Apple do updates right.

Note this is not trying to start an Android/iOS flame as, on balance, I prefer my Nexus 5 to the iPhone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87