Stopped receiving e-mail notifications on stock e-mail app

maxq54

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I started having this issue yesterday--I have YMail, Hotmail and GMail accounts all in the stock e-mail app on my Nexus 5. I also use Lightflow for LED notifications and have had no problems. I noticed I was no longer receiving the taskbar icon notifications in the upper left for new e-mails, nor the Lightflow LED notifications. I still get Hangout/text notifications, not sure about missed calls. Based on a couple of posts here I:
1) Confirmed notifications set to On in the e-mail app for each of the e-mail acounts
2) Turned phone off and then back on
3) Cleared data and cleared cache in e-mail app -- didn't help
4) Uninstalled Lightflow app
5) Deleted all 3 accounts from the e-mail app, then added them back in; rebooted -- still no notifications

I don't use the stock GMail app for GMail since I prefer to just have one icon to use to keep track of all my e-mail accounts.

Any suggestions other than a full system restore? Thanks for any help!

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Look thru' the list of the apps that can access your notifications - settings/security/notification access - and see if there any app there that can access your notifications. Since you've removed lightflow, that list should be empty. I'm pretty sure that lightflow is not the culprit, but start debugging there.

maxq54

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, jj14x. Yep, I checked that. Before deleting Lightflow, it was the only app listed there. Now no apps are listed. I added back in the Gmail app, and it does seem to provide notifications. Still no luck with the stock email app notifications. .

maxq54

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Totally stock, and not connected to an Exchange server. I thought about uninstalling and re-installing the stock e-mail app, but it looks like it can't be uninstalled (and I don't want to make things worse!).

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Lots of people get into Settings -> Apps and start disabling things either because they are trying to save battery or because they imagine that big brother is watching them too closely. What they don't understand is the way many of these processes tie together.

So, my question for maxq54 is, have you disabled anything in Settings -> Apps? Especially any Google tools or services?

maxq54

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Nope, I've made no settings changes for several weeks. The notifications simply stopped arriving a few days ago. Last night though, they started arriving again. I'd previsoulsy uninstalled Lightflow and rebooted a few times, with no change in the lack of notifications. No apparent reason for them stopping, nor for them re-starting.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty