Can't transfer files

RebusCom

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
My Nexus 5 has never been able to transfer files over USB to Win7 computers. The computers do not recognize the presence of the Nexus (no response and nothing in Device Manager). The Nexus shows it's charging, but that's it. I've tried different cables and computers. In addition, NFC and Beam also do not work but regular WiFi works fine for internet use. Bluetooth works but is too slow to be usable for data transfer. Ideas?

RebusCom

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
MTP is already checked. The phone is not recognized by Windows.
AirDroid is already installed on the phone, but I have not used it. Does it support direct phone to computer transfers without going over the Internet?

RebusCom

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
Try downloading the USB drivers linked in the first post of this thread - Diagnosing USB Driver and ADB issues in Wind… | Google Nexus 5 | xda-developers (just step 1 & 2 - sounds like you don't need step 3)

I already tried that. It assumes Windows at least sees the device but doesn't have the correct driver, but in my case Windows doesn't see it at all. Also, the zip file has no installer in it and the inf won't install. Perhaps if Windows saw the device I could point the driver installer to the file set and it would install the driver.

Firefyter

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but have you tried a different USB port? I have had things similar to this that were fixed by trying a different port...

Edited: Sorry, I missed the "different computers" in your OP..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If you have Wi-Fi in your home/office, then AirDroid works across your local network; nothing is transmitted over the internet.

As to the USB connection:

a) If at all possible, use the USB cable which came with your phone; at the very least, try a different USB cable

b) If you have Developer Options enabled, try turning them off

c) Reboot your phone and try again

RebusCom

Jun 20, 2014
Visit site
If you have Wi-Fi in your home/office, then AirDroid works across your local network; nothing is transmitted over the internet.

As to the USB connection:

a) If at all possible, use the USB cable which came with your phone; at the very least, try a different USB cable

b) If you have Developer Options enabled, try turning them off

c) Reboot your phone and try again

I've tried multiple cords, including the stock ones. My wife also has the Nexus 5 and it will connect. Same cord with my phone -- nothing.
Tried turning off developer options.
Rebooted the phone.
No joy.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Okay then, try this:

1) Disconnect your phone from your computer.

2) On your Windows computer, open Control Panel and click on Device Manager. Scroll through the list; if there is a section titled "Android Phone" or anything even remotely similar, open the branch and for each item within, double-click, then click the Driver tab, then click the Uninstall button. If prompted, be sure to choose the "delete the driver software for this device" option.

3) Reconnect your Nexus 5 and see if it is now properly recognized.

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay then, try this:

1) Disconnect your phone from your computer.

2) On your Windows computer, open Control Panel and click on Device Manager. Scroll through the list; if there is a section titled "Android Phone" or anything even remotely similar, open the branch and for each item within, double-click, then click the Driver tab, then click the Uninstall button. If prompted, be sure to choose the "delete the driver software for this device" option.

3) Reconnect your Nexus 5 and see if it is now properly recognized.

When in device manager go ahead and look for a device with no drivers installed and check that and click install drivers myself. You 1st must have the latest ADB Android drivers installed. Go to LG and down load the drivers for the phone to the computer.

LG Android USB device Drivers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress