Battery doctor and similar apps...

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I believe that they do although I find that so far I've usually been able to determine cause of drain from battery stats. I would only consider installing such apps if I felt that a greater breakdown were needed. Are you having a particular problem?

Posted via Android Central App

ianhanson85

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
I've always felt my phone battery was draining way to fast. 4.4.3/4.4.4 improved standby time a bit for me but I keep reading about people on here who easily make it through a whole day and in some cases 2. I understand for those folks its usually minimum screen on time but I get nowhere near that from my battery. I'm usually around 40-50 percent with light-min by the time I get home from work at night. If I want to use my phone in the evening, which is usually heavier usage, I have to connect to charger after only an hour or 2.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm fairly new to phones and am very new to the Nexus 5. I wasn't having a battery drain problem and was down to about half each evening. I downloaded a battery program and early on July 13th I ran their "healthy charge" which requires that you be below 20% capacity. This morning the program showed 83% remaining. I do power off when I go to sleep.

EnigmaticPsychotic

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm fairly new to phones and am very new to the Nexus 5. I wasn't having a battery drain problem and was down to about half each evening. I downloaded a battery program and early on July 13th I ran their "healthy charge" which requires that you be below 20% capacity. This morning the program showed 83% remaining. I do power off when I go to sleep.
Welcome to the vanilla android experience. To answer your question, I think the Snapdragon Battery Guru is the only one I've used that makes a difference. Even this savings was negligible, but I would say give it a shot.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...=com.xiam.snapdragon.app&hl=en&token=XUyCLBLj

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Best apps to help you figure out drain issues? Better Battery Stats, GSAM Battery Monitor and Wakelock Detector. Apps that listen, passively and report to you as to what apps and functions are using what resources on your phone. A lot of those battery saver apps do as much harm as they do good and often tease you with some functionality, but then turn around and require you to buy a premium version that has the features that would ACTUALLY make a difference. I threw that Qualcomm app on my wife's phone... not all that impressed.... even with all the fancy UIs, it's pretty crude. Would you want an elephant to paint your Easter Eggs? That's precisely how I view those battery saving apps.

You are better served finding the sources of your battery drain and handling the resolution yourself.

Personally? I went a more complex route.... I used those three apps above to give me a pretty detailed look at how every little millivolt is used... then I used automation to make my own battery saving system (Tasker + Secure Settings + Synker + Xposed/Location Consent Disable). Gives me complete and total control over what my phone does 24/7.

See, I HATE stuff that eats my charge without my needing it when my phone's off. Yes, I know that these background processes enhance my experience and get me good info.... but I want to have control over all the whens and wheres. Things like Location Services throwing wakelocks when I'm sitting at home or at my office. Like my kids, I want my phone to GET THE F TO SLEEP at night and don't make a peep..... Yes, I can turn off Location Services, but I LIKE those features... I just want to dictate when they are being used and since I am lazy, I want it to do it all itself without me fiddling with toggles all day long.

:)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. If you're saying that from 100% charge in the evening, you then power off, and on restarting the phone next morning it's down to 83% charge, there's something wrong. From 100% charge, my N5 loses usually no more than 5% overnight, without power off.
If I've mistaken your meaning I apologise.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I use the Snapdragon BatteryGuru app, which is specifically made to work with the chip in the Nexus 5. It has learning mode and after a few days, it has given my phone a longer battery life.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ils?id=com.xiam.snapdragon.app&token=xS2ynzuW

Thanks for the link. In your own case, could you give a rough percentage of improvement?

On a slight change if subject if I may, I've owned N5 for several months, long enough for me to be fairly confident in saying that there seem to be some days when, with broadly similar usage, I get better battery life. Could be mistaken, but...

macroguy07

Feb 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the link. In your own case, could you give a rough percentage of improvement?

On a slight change if subject if I may, I've owned N5 for several months, long enough for me to be fairly confident in saying that there seem to be some days when, with broadly similar usage, I get better battery life. Could be mistaken, but...

I get an overall average of about 15 per cent more out of the battery from day to day, but the total hours per day does vary from day to day depending on use from apps, number of calls, text, wifi, and LTE uses.
Did I say Day to Day enough? 😀

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply...that sounds worth investigating then.

Yes you did say that a fairish bit but I didn't notice until you drew my attention to it.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you mean here. If you're saying that from 100% charge in the evening, you then power off, and on restarting the phone next morning it's down to 83% charge, there's something wrong. From 100% charge, my N5 loses usually no more than 5% overnight, without power off.
If I've mistaken your meaning I apologise.

Sorry, I screwed up on the post. I start the day at 100%.