Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 1 Post By TgeekB
  • 1 Post By onthecouchagain
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    andport's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

    Default Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Is this normal? Had my phone since December 2013. I don't really install that many apps and I uninstall ones that I don't use. Never had more than 3 pages. Majority of what I do on my phone is just browsing, Skype, and watching videos/TV/movies.
  2. #2  
    Golfdriver97's Avatar

    Posts
    19,687 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,118 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Could you post screenshots of the battery stats, please?

    Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    srkmagnus likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    I've found since the 4.4.3 & 4.4.4 update that Google Play Services has been devouring the battery at an unprecedented rate. Using more of the battery as a percentage than screen on time. It's to the point that I disable location services unless I absolutely need it and then turn it off again when done.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    andport's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Now its 40° C even though it feels cooler and not like overheating before!
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    andport's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    I've found since the 4.4.3 & 4.4.4 update that Google Play Services has been devouring the battery at an unprecedented rate. Using more of the battery as a percentage than screen on time. It's to the point that I disable location services unless I absolutely need it and then turn it off again when done.
    Yes I think this started since then too. Is 34-40° C quite bad though? I'm afraid my phone is going to get hardware damage because of this.
  6. #6  
    srkmagnus's Avatar

    Posts
    8,204 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,207 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Provide us with a screen shot of the battery stats after a full charge and a significant battery drop. Based on what you are doing, it could be possible to see that much battery drain, especially if you are viewing movies/streaming over the mobile network with full screen brightness.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    It's worth trying a cache partition wipe. Be aware it can take up to 10 minutes on a Nexus 5. [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery

    Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    It's worth trying a cache partition wipe. Be aware it can take up to 10 minutes on a Nexus 5. [GUIDE] Nexus 5 Recovery

    Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    This.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Quote Originally Posted by andport View Post
    Is 34-40° C quite bad though? I'm afraid my phone is going to get hardware damage because of this.
    No damage at those temperatures. Chips will run way hotter than that. At worst they will just "slow down" i.e. the processor speed will automatically reduce. Other components, meh; screen, it doesn't care. Battery... hmmm, not sure how happy it will be beyond about 50°, but maybe okay.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    andport's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Put on charge at 9:20 at 4%

    Checked at about 11:00 and it was 39% and saying 5 hours until full charge (while being used I guess)

    Being charged in a perfectly working wall socket with the stock charger.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    andport's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Last edited by davidnc; 08-03-2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: fixed broken link
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Quote Originally Posted by greatgoogly View Post
    I've found since the 4.4.3 & 4.4.4 update that Google Play Services has been devouring the battery at an unprecedented rate. Using more of the battery as a percentage than screen on time. It's to the point that I disable location services unless I absolutely need it and then turn it off again when done.
    I have had this happen to me a couple of times since the update. A reboot fixed it but it's a bit annoying. Hope they fix the issue.

    Posted via Android Central App
    tonyr6 likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Quote Originally Posted by andport View Post
    Post an image from the default battery usage screen. It will help us better.

    Clearing the cache helps a lot for folks with new onset issues after an upgrade.
    Nexus 5 on Sprint
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    andport's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Last edited by davidnc; 08-04-2014 at 11:04 AM. Reason: fixed broken link again
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Quote Originally Posted by TgeekB View Post
    I have had this happen to me a couple of times since the update. A reboot fixed it but it's a bit annoying. Hope they fix the issue.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I can confirm 4.4.4 does not solve random severe battery drain issue that the Nexus 5 seems to have. Every couple of weeks it happens to me. Reboot fixes it until the next time a couple of weeks later.

    Really unreliable. Really frustrating.
    tonyr6 likes this.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Two days in a row I left it on charge turned off overnight and when I turned it on after about 8-9 hours of charge it was 76%... I am starting to think the battery is broken and can't even charge past that anymore
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Quote Originally Posted by andport View Post
    Do you have auto-brightness set? If not, try that. Otherwise, set the brightness very low and see if that helps. 41% screen time tells me the screen is on too much or is too bright.
    Nexus 5 on Sprint
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    I've been trolling the forums and nobody seems to provide an adequate explanation for the solution to fixing the issue. First off, your phones are not defective. You configured the WiFi settings incorrectly. Second, I'm going to go out on a limb and make a generalization. If you are having battery drain issues, then you will see on the battery detail history screen that your WiFi is constantly on. On my phone once I fixed the issue, my WiFi battery usage displayed periods of on (blue) and off (black). Your battery history details for WiFi will show solid blue across this screen if you're having battery drain issues. To fix the issue disable Google Now and then go to WiFi, advanced, and disable the setting that keeps WiFi on even when you choose to turn WiFi off. For the next hour, check your battery history details field for the color black to see if your WiFi is actually turned (OFF). You will also notice that your phone runs cooler when you touch the back top side near the camera.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!-4876.jpg   Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!-4877.jpg  
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Nexus 5 battery 43%! Average 20% drain per hour!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nexass Phone View Post
    I've been trolling the forums and nobody seems to provide an adequate explanation for the solution to fixing the issue. First off, your phones are not defective. You configured the WiFi settings incorrectly. Second, I'm going to go out on a limb and make a generalization. If you are having battery drain issues, then you will see on the battery detail history screen that your WiFi is constantly on. On my phone once I fixed the issue, my WiFi battery usage displayed periods of on (blue) and off (black). Your battery history details for WiFi will show solid blue across this screen if you're having battery drain issues. To fix the issue disable Google Now and then go to WiFi, advanced, and disable the setting that keeps WiFi on even when you choose to turn WiFi off. For the next hour, check your battery history details field for the color black to see if your WiFi is actually turned (OFF). You will also notice that your phone runs cooler when you touch the back top side near the camera.

    Posted via the Android Central App
    I have tried this and unfortunately it does not fix the random battery drain issue that I detail in this thread: Nexus 5: Battery Very Inconsistent - What's the culprit?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-17-2014, 04:48 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 12:21 PM
  3. Nexus 7 seems to be stuck on x
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 12:15 PM
  4. Nexus 4 stuck in boot loop - Save photos?
    By Lobata24 in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-01-2014, 03:23 AM

Posting Permissions