Phone screen brightness dimming after 20 mins of use

mike7877

May 30, 2023
Visit site
Like the title says...
Lately I've been using my phone (S22) a lot more than usual.

Apart from videos, the display of my phone wouldn't be on for more than 10 minutes straight with 5-10 minutes off in between (at least - I'd say my phone is probably on 10 minutes per hour through the day excluding video watching). Side note: OLED power draw during most of video playback is extremely low compared to web browsing/texting etc with white backgrounds)

Anyway, my use lately is a lot more - sometimes all day. Literally. Problem with this usage though is screen brightness ends up being severely limited from the maximum, probably down to around 20-25% of maximum after 20-30 minutes of semi-intensive use (for a mobile device, which is web browsing + light multitasking).

I used to have my phone processor speed set to maximum because it felt slightly faster during my more intermittent use. Now I have it on the most conservative setting, but this doesn't seem to make any difference. It seems stupid to me that the screen gets dimmed - even a completely white screen at 700+ nits only seems to draw about 0.8W, - less than the CPU and spread over a MUCH larger area. I usually like my phone at around 400 nits (up most of the way with extra brightness turned off) which, especially outside, isn't that bright.

Are there other phones that don't throttle the screen brightness? I might need a second line soon, and if I do I'd like to get a phone I don't have to worry about brightness not being available during periods of intense use

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Are you using adaptive brightness? What happens if you turn it off? If it's off what happens if you turn it on?

I use adaptive brightness, but my screen doesn't dim when I stream movies or shows for over an hour.

Last edited:
Reactions: mustang7757

SteveZeva

Aug 15, 2023
Visit site
I have the same issue. I use my S22 Ultra a lot for photography. I've had it for over a year. I really like the phone and the cameras are killer. But during the summer months I have the issue of the screen dimming when the temps start getting up around 90 F. (32 C.) I don't have adaptive brightness on, I do have power saving on. I wind up taking my case off and putting the phone in Airplane Mode so it's not working hard because of the wireless. Otherwise the display is almost useless in bright sun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter