Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By dv8info
  • 1 Post By dv8info
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Nanny Nag Go Away!

I'm still getting this Unsafe volume warning/nanny-nag. I first saw this issue posted on these forums in 2012, and STILL Google IGNORES their users! And for me this is not because of an old OS or proprietary phone software because this is a Nexus 5! I'm not interested in modding my phone, a factor in why I chose a Nexus. And as for "safety" - it is still confusing when I plug it in the car and expect it to work, whether it is the car stereo source or some problem with the stereo or the fact that Android has locked my volume down again - the safety issue for me is will this cause an accident!? I'm surprised Google isn't facing any lawsuits for something along these lines. I find the prospect of a driverless car produced by this company extremely disturbing. And I find this annoying piece of unusabilty increasingly frustrating and infuriating.

Nanny Nag Go Away!-nannynag.jpg
    crxssi and cbobb123 like this.

Default Re: Nanny Nag Go Away!

I've never had that prompt come up on a phone ever.
    Nexus 5 on Sprint

I had that once when I had my original Evo on android 2.3.x It was one time I dismissed it, and haven't seen it since

Posted via NSA Spy Van 37...... Free candy??

I get that all the time..

Posted from Google Nexus 5
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5

Me too. It's all about Health & Safety nowadays. But Google and others will be aware of the extended use of earphones by some users so will feel it's their duty to show warnings.

Posted via Android Central App
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Surely once we have had the warning we should be able to make it go away for good. Not crediting us with intelligence is one thing, but failing to acknowledge our basic human faculties like memory is taking things too far

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    crxssi likes this.

I agree but they have to allow for people who have learning difficulties...or indeed bad memories. It's how things are now. You can get bottles of milk which, to comply with food allergy regulations, say on the bottle, 'May contain milk'.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    6,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

It is an annoyance indeed and I don't understand why the OPTION to disable the nanny-nag is not present. ...but, its just an annoyance, that is all.

Hi5 from the sV
    Live long and prosper.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yes, it gets to be more than just an annoyance to me though. Especially if I want to listen to music in the car. I'm no UI expert but I would have thought something like a checkbox would do the trick

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

That warning only comes up once after each time you restart your phone.

Quote Originally Posted by bulletmark View Post
    That warning only comes up once after each time you restart your phone.
    Not on my Nexus 5. It comes up every time I use the music player.

Quote Originally Posted by dv8info View Post
    I'm still getting this Unsafe volume warning/nanny-nag. I first saw this issue posted on these forums in 2012, and STILL Google IGNORES their users! And for me this is not because of an old OS or proprietary phone software because this is a Nexus 5! ... I'm surprised Google isn't facing any lawsuits for something along these lines. .... Shame on you Google-Android.
    Ok, let's stay on the ground with this.
    I am not a fanboy of Google or somesuch, but I need to defend them here. AFAIK, in most EU countries, the warning is law. People, especially kids get more and more deaf and the reason seems to be nailed to the volume with which they are listening to music. More and more doctors are crying out alarms and the treatments are starting to put alot of stress to the insurance companies (most of them in EU are public, so the costs are paid by the citizens).
    Hence the law. I guess we can be happy, that they don't limit the volume directly, but just warn you.

So let's stop nagging about the nagging and accept the fact, that personal conveniance has to be overruled by public safety.
    ok?
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Thank you Buddy1969 for your calm, level-headed and conciliatory contribution to this discussion. Of course I totally agree with your statement about the dangers of earphone volume with these devices. However I suggest that the law can be complied with surely, while allowing the user to turn off this feature if they wish. There could even be a legal disclaimer associated with turning it off, which I wouldn't mind, as long as the user is at least given that choice. All I suggest is this solution offered by Google is not the only one, by any means, when considered with a small amount of creativity and openness, and I would like to think Google would take its users' comments in this regard into consideration, and apply such creativity and open thought to the problem.

And I disagree that the solution offered by Google is a mere "inconvenience" as you say, and I would add that the nature of this "solution" is in itself in fact dangerous. Perhaps you are not a regular user of your device as an audio input in the car stereo, but as such a user I can say that the difficulty and potential hazard here is beyond "inconvenience". In order to have an audible volume over my stereo (when it is set at a reasonable volume) the volume on the device must be full. If played at the recommended level for earphones, the stereo volume must be set so high that when switching to another input such as radio or CD it could potentially blow the speakers or cause a major distraction to the driver. And the fact that it is inaudible when the amplifier is set to an acceptable volume means one can plug it in and drive off expecting something to play, and then, when there iis no sound, be distracted by the fact that the volume on the device is not increasing as expected. Such distractions are the cause of road accidents and must not be underrated.

Therefore there needs to be a better solution as the current one is potentially just as dangerous as the "problem" it is trying to solve.

Global Posts
    6,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    Ok, let's stay on the ground with this.
    I am not a fanboy of Google or somesuch, but I need to defend them here. AFAIK, in most EU countries, the warning is law. People, especially kids get more and more deaf and the reason seems to be nailed to the volume with which they are listening to music. More and more doctors are crying out alarms and the treatments are starting to put alot of stress to the insurance companies (most of them in EU are public, so the costs are paid by the citizens).
    Hence the law. I guess we can be happy, that they don't limit the volume directly, but just warn you.

So let's stop nagging about the nagging and accept the fact, that personal conveniance has to be overruled by public safety.
    ok?
    Well, at least in the EU this nanny nag may be catalyzed by law...but those of us blessed not to live in the EU...why must we suffer as well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Live long and prosper.

I live in the US and the last time I had that warning was 3 phones, 4 years ago. Maybe it's an EU thing

Global Posts
    6,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by maverick7526 View Post
    I live in the US and the last time I had that warning was 3 phones, 4 years ago. Maybe it's an EU thing

Nope, I don't thinka so. I live in the old US too and the nanny nags me daily.

Hi5 from the sV
    Live long and prosper.

That's weird. Could it be because of the headphone jack? I use Bluetooth in my car, and I have Bluetooth headphones when I exercise, I never see that warning.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Yes it is just the headphone jack, bluetooth is no problem

I don't get that with headphones either. However, I use a headset. Perhaps that makes a difference?
    Pat

Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.4
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.4

Global Posts
    6,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by patruns View Post
    I don't get that with headphones either. However, I use a headset. Perhaps that makes a difference?
    Could you rephrase that?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Live long and prosper.

You mean, with an attached microphone, patrunis? I guess that might send a different signal to the OS when it is plugged in.

Quote Originally Posted by Haalcyon View Post
    Well, at least in the EU this nanny nag may be catalyzed by law...but those of us blessed not to live in the EU...why must we suffer as well?

I don't know where you come from, but there are states outside of the EU (*coff, cof* America *coff*) where companies even have to write on cups, that the beverage is hot, so that they don't get sued when people are dumb enough to burn their mouths on hot beverages ...

So nanny nags are even more common in some other countries, and not just on smartphones.
    [irony]
    Would I be the responsible guy at Google, I would add a nanny nag every time you pick up the phone, that tells you, that I am not responsible for any hurt or damage you receive, when using the smartphone. I've heared of people who nearly poked their eyes out with their thumbs, when they tried to raise the phone to their ear ... XD ...
    [/irony]

So if you are angry about Nanny Nags, say thanks to all the daft people who just have enough braincells to sue someone over their own dumbness...

Global Posts
    6,539 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy1969 View Post
    I don't know where you come from, but there are states outside of the EU (*coff, cof* America *coff*) where companies even have to write on cups, that the beverage is hot, so that they don't get sued when people are dumb enough to burn their mouths on hot beverages ...

So nanny nags are even more common in some other countries, and not just on smartphones.
    [irony]
    Would I be the responsible guy at Google, I would add a nanny nag every time you pick up the phone, that tells you, that I am not responsible for any hurt or damage you receive, when using the smartphone. I've heared of people who nearly poked their eyes out with their thumbs, when they tried to raise the phone to their ear ... XD ...
    [/irony]

So if you are angry about Nanny Nags, say thanks to all the daft people who just have enough braincells to sue someone over their own dumbness...
    Amen

The Note III
    Live long and prosper.