Nexus 5 likely to see Wi-Fi calling over T-mobile soon?

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Magic-8-ball-as-I-see-it-yes.jpg

Now 100% of new smartphones in T-Mobile stores will be Wi-Fi calling and texting capable (Source)

I read this as indication that any new models introduced in T-Mo stores will support this - not necessarily that models such as the Nexus 5 that had been available before the PR would necessarily be included. But it still gives me hope and what I think may be a reasonable expectation that the Nexus 5 (and even Nexus 4) may soon enjoy this ability as well. Below are a few assumptions and my reasoning....

1) T-Mo will offer the Nexus 6 for sale in their stores. Given the sales success of the Nexus 5 for T-Mo, and the anticipation surrounding the Nexus 6, it seems unthinkable that T-Mo would even consider otherwise.

2) The reason that the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 do not enjoy Wi-Fi calling on T-Mo's network is not because T-Mo specifically wants to deprive the users of those devices, because those devices are unaltered Nexus, not privy to the specific additional software/firmware T-Mo adds to the carrier-specific devices they sell.

3) T-Mo will not offer a carrier-specific version of the Nexus 6 to allow them to add code enabling Wi-Fi calling. To do so both defies the fundamental concept of Nexus and also would substantially hinder their ability to cater to those who buy their Nexus 6 directly from Google Play, or to attract customers who currently have their Nexus 6 with another carrier, as those customers' phones would not offer that functionality.

4) Given the above, there are only a few ways for the Nexus 6 to be compatible:

• Nexus 6 will have some native characteristic that Nexus 4 & 5 have lacked, enabling it to meet T-Mo's existing requirements for Wi-Fi calling.
    This seems extremely unlikely since, afaik, T-Mo has had to implement proprietary software/firmware to devices to allow for it. Of course, if it were something inherent to Android L that enabled it, the earlier Nexus will also also, upon update, enjoy compatibility.

• T-Mo will be changing the manner by which they perform Wi-Fi calling such that additional software is not required.
    Providing that it is even technologically feasible, the second doesn't seem too far-fetched, but it would open up a potential 'pandora's box' of customer support issues for those customers with phones that might be later determined to 'not play well' with Wi-Fi calling -- currently, T-Mo can control quality of service by managing which models are able to use the service.

• T-Mo will introduce an app to the Play store to enable Wi-Fi calling and SMS for those devices (e.g., Nexus, 'BYO' phones, etc) onto which T-mobile wouldn't have loaded their software directly.
    A Play store app seems entirely plausible to me as it shouldn't require any substantial changes to their current system, would allow for people to bring their phones from other carriers and enjoy Wi-Fi calling and would still allow T-Mo to identify and block select model phones a customer might choose to purchase elsewhere or carry over from another carrier if T-Mo determines that it does not work well in this capacity, by not making it 'compatible' and available for direct download for those models.

In consideration of the above, I can't really envision a realistic scenario by which we should not expect to enjoy Wi-Fi calling on T-Mo soon.

So, to those of you who successfully scaled my Olympian Wall o' Text, am I missing something, or does my assessment make sense? If the Nexus 6 will support Wi-Fi calling on T-Mo and the Nexus 5 will not, I'll almost certainly upgrade; if the Nexus 5 will gain this ability, along with the other benefits due to arrive with Android L (including a notable increase in battery life), I'll likely stay with the 5 another year.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The next Nexus I could see a maybe --- The ones that are already out no.

The 4? No
The 5? Possibly. The 4 doesn't have an LTE radio so it can't do volte. The 5 can do volte as it's just editing a little code baked into android similar to how tmobile released an update to enable volte on the gs5

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The 4? No
The 5? Possibly. The 4 doesn't have an LTE radio so it can't do volte. The 5 can do volte as it's just editing a little code baked into android similar to how tmobile released an update to enable volte on the gs5
The question isn't as to whether the 4 and/or 5 will support VoLTE, but as to whether they will be enabled to take advantage of Wi-Fi calling -- these are two distinct things.

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
The question isn't as to whether the 4 and/or 5 will support VoLTE, but as to whether they will be enabled to take advantage of Wi-Fi calling -- these are two distinct things.

they're more similar than different. volte is the only reason why wifi calling is now seamless.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
they're more similar than different. volte is the only reason why wifi calling is now seamless.
True - they serve a similar purpose, and their coexistence and allowance for smooth transition between can be a huge benefit if one is moving through areas of differing relative availability of the cellular and WiFi networks. But there is still an enormous benefit to be derived solely from WiFi calling.

So laying VoLTE to the side for a moment and getting back to the initial question, is there any argument I haven't considered that would hamper the expectation that we should expect WiFi calling compatibility on T-Mo's network shortly?

Bigballer

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
True - they serve a similar purpose, and their coexistence and allowance for smooth transition between can be a huge benefit if one is moving through areas of differing relative availability of the cellular and WiFi networks. But there is still an enormous benefit to be derived solely from WiFi calling.

So laying VoLTE to the side for a moment and getting back to the initial question, is there any argument I haven't considered that would hamper the expectation that we should expect WiFi calling compatibility on T-Mo's network shortly?

wait for android L. we may get lucky ;)

especially considering a huge chunk of tmobiles customer base (nexus, moto x, gpe, other unlcoked phones) are on tmobile

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
With what Google just did with Google Voice, one can argue the Nexus 5 (and any phone, really) now already has WiFi calling, and it's carrier independent!

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
With what Google just did with Google Voice, one can argue the Nexus 5 (and any phone, really) now already has WiFi calling, and it's carrier independent!

Without a T-Mobile issued wifi phone on the correct plan, aren't all wifi calls (Google Voice or carrier number) thru the new Hangouts on a T-Mo SIM charged as minutes? This means the only benefit here is a strong connection where there is poor T-Mo reception.

I would call T-Mo to ask this, but I don't trust the reps to always give accurate info.

From the Google Hangouts Dialer app description:

"Notes: Mobile carrier and ISP charges may apply. Calls to Hangouts users are free, but other calls might come with a charge."

Sent from my Nexus 5 via Android Central App

banzaiwolfe

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Without a T-Mobile issued wifi phone on the correct plan, aren't all wifi calls (Google Voice or carrier number) thru the new Hangouts on a T-Mo SIM charged as minutes? This means the only benefit here is a strong connection where there is poor T-Mo reception.

I would call T-Mo to ask this, but I don't trust the reps to always give accurate info.

From the Google Hangouts Dialer app description:

"Notes: Mobile carrier and ISP charges may apply. Calls to Hangouts users are free, but other calls might come with a charge."

You can currently make free calls to the US and Canada (from the US and Canada) through Google Voice on a computer without it being tied to your phone, so I don't see why they couldn't also do that through a phone over Wi-Fi while only using data.

"...other calls might come with a charge." could just be referring to international rates and, if they ever change it, domestic calling that would be billed to you, it doesn't necessarily mean it would use your minutes.

Paletta2

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I think, it's a great thing that the Nexus 5 doesn't have any of the T-Mobile's firmware, because that always takes space, also they incorporate so many things that you don't need, I think wifi calling would be great only if they add that feature alone.

Posted via the Android Central App

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Without a T-Mobile issued wifi phone on the correct plan, aren't all wifi calls (Google Voice or carrier number) thru the new Hangouts on a T-Mo SIM charged as minutes?
Nope. I just took out my SIM card and the Google Voice call came through just fine on my Hangouts (phone was connected to WiFi). Calls received through Hangouts have nothing to do with carrier minutes, but may cost carrier data if you are not connected to wifi.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Good News!

Thanks to the Hangouts Dialer, just recently released, anyone with a Google Voice number can make Wifi calls. Even on T-Mobile. With no hardware support required.

You need to use the Hangouts dialer, and the updated version of the Hangouts app (rolling out now). You need a Google Voice number. You need an internet connection (of any kind).

I have been able to make VOICE calls on my nexus 7 tablet! So my tablet is a phone now. This will work on any device that has a mic and speaker.

This is not like Hangouts video calling...this allows you to call normal phone numbers exactly as if you are using your cell phone on a network. It's not tied to gmail accounts or anything...you can call any voice number. Only limitation (for the moment anyway) is you cannot receive calls, only dial out. It is faster than I expected...as fast as my normal cell calls. Quality is exactly the same.

All of it is free, and will work on any carrier, and any platform you can install hangouts dialer on. This will probably even work on a laptop or on iOS eventually.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...le.android.apps.hangoutsdialer&token=kh3LVqS3

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
Good News!

Thanks to the Hangouts Dialer, just recently released, anyone with a Google Voice number can make Wifi calls. Even on T-Mobile. With no hardware support required.
Lol that's what I have been trying to say! I think this is pretty huge btw. People will now be able to get data only plans and cut out the carrier bloat on calls and texts (I wonder if I can activate one of T-Mobile's data only 30-day passes on my Nexus 5 as a prepaid plan. $10 a month? Beat that!

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Lol that's what I have been trying to say! I think this is pretty huge btw. People will now be able to get data only plans and cut out the carrier bloat on calls and texts (I wonder if I can activate one of T-Mobile's data only 30-day passes on my Nexus 5 as a prepaid plan. $10 a month? Beat that!

It is just bizarre how well this works. It is seamless. I can dial numbers on my tablet just like a phone...no IM voodoo to deal with. No email addresses involved. It work for all numbers. As long as I have internet access of any kind, it works.

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
It is just bizarre how well this works. It is seamless. I can dial numbers on my tablet just like a phone...no IM voodoo to deal with. No email addresses involved. It work for all numbers. As long as I have internet access of any kind, it works.
It's everything everywhere. It took a long time, but Hangout is finally what it promised to be: the one hub you need for all instant communication. Phone calls, IMs, texts, all not just in one place but in one place independent of the device you are using. I can't wait till the port (back) of my Google Voice number completes so that when I get to the office or come home, I can just put the phone down on the wireless charger and whatever device I'm on, that's what my phone calls and texts are on. No fussing around with always having to keep the phone in arm's reach.

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Nope. I just took out my SIM card and the Google Voice call came through just fine on my Hangouts (phone was connected to WiFi). Calls received through Hangouts have nothing to do with carrier minutes, but may cost carrier data if you are not connected to wifi.

"If you have a Pay In Advance line, calls made over wifi deduct from the plan bucket just like regular calls." (support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9997)

According to T-Mo my wifi call minutes are charged, but things might have changed with the new Hangouts Dialer app. I'm going to test it this month. (I hope I don't have to remove my SIM to make it free!)

Edited to add:
This has been a good week. My free Google Voice home phone VoIP is back, and now free outgoing wifi cell calls. Google, can you do anything about the cable companies?

Last edited:

yfan

Nov 28, 2009
Visit site
"If you have a Pay In Advance line, calls made over wifi deduct from the plan bucket just like regular calls." (support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-9997)

According to T-Mo my wifi call minutes are charged, but things might have changed with the new Hangouts Dialer app. I'm going to test it this month. (I hope I don't have to remove my SIM to make it free!)
I can tell you it isn't charged, and you don't have to remove your SIM. As far as T-Mobile is concerned, it isn't even a call. It's just an app using data. Tons of VoIP apps do this - Vonage Mobile, Facebook Messenger, and even Whatsapp (I think). Besides, you can do it on a Nexus 5, and Nexus 5, according to T-Mobile isn't even WiFi calling capable (heh, heh, heh).

This has been a good week. My free Google Voice home phone VoIP is back, and now free outgoing wifi cell calls. Google, can you do anything about the cable companies?
They already are. It's called Google Fiber. Comcast is running so scared they just doubled their speed in a bunch of markets, mine included. I dumped cable TV about 6 months ago though (now I just get OTA channels... and Netflix, etc. on my Chromecast).

akuki

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I can tell you it isn't charged, and you don't have to remove your SIM. As far as T-Mobile is concerned, it isn't even a call. It's just an app using data. Tons of VoIP apps do this - Vonage Mobile, Facebook Messenger, and even Whatsapp (I think). Besides, you can do it on a Nexus 5, and Nexus 5, according to T-Mobile isn't even WiFi calling capable (heh, heh, heh).

Reworking my setup...

So, Hangouts app is taking the place of my Mobile Vonage app's free, wifi-only, outgoing-only calls. And, I expect because it's Google, and we've been waiting for this incredible upgrade, a much higher sound quality.

And, Hangouts is taking SMS & visual voicemail duties away from the Google Voice app (because I asked it to).

Do I keep the Google Voice app to receive my GV incoming calls? Or does Hangouts app receive my GV calls?

While outside wifi range, do
outgoing Hangouts calls use mobile minutes or mobile data?

I'm going to test, but from a look at the settings, I think this one is a yes: Can I use another GV# (with it's respective Gmail account name) to call out using the same Hangouts app?

[Edit: Yes, you can switch between Google Voice numbers when calling out of Hangouts.]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87