Galaxy s20+ no wi-fi calling option

swchance

Mar 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I purchased this phone from ebay. They said it was unlocked and would work with t-mobile, Verizon (my carrier) etc. Everything works fine but there is no option to enable wi-fi calling. I've contacted both Samsung & Verizon, both clueless as to why. The seller won't refund or exchange it, and ebay bots are bull_____. I live 15 miles from the closest cell signal, so starlink is it. Wi-fi calling worked on both my s10 & ulefon using the same sim. I've had the same phone number for over 35 years but now only works when I go to town. I can't afford another phone right now and could use your guys help.

Model: sm-g986u1

Service provider software version:
Tmb/tmb, tmb/vzw

Whatever the hell that means. I believe t-mobile & Verizon? Also hs audio is grayed out under developer options. Prior to this last android update wi-fi calling showed up in permission under phone, now its gone. Hmmmm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zain Shahid

Mar 13, 2023
Visit site
I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're experiencing with your phone. Based on the information you've provided, it seems that your phone is not allowing you to enable Wi-Fi calling, which is causing you difficulties in areas with poor cell reception. You've contacted both Samsung and Verizon, but neither has been able to provide you with a solution.

It's also unfortunate that the seller won't refund or exchange the phone, and that you're unable to afford another phone at this time. However, there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue with Wi-Fi calling.

First, make sure that Wi-Fi calling is actually supported by your phone model and carrier. Some older or budget phones may not have this feature, and certain carriers may not support Wi-Fi calling on all phone models.

Next, try resetting your network settings and restarting your phone. This can sometimes help to resolve issues with connectivity and settings.

If the above steps don't work, you may want to try contacting your carrier again and asking to speak with a higher-level support representative who may be able to assist you further. Alternatively, you could try visiting a physical store location for your carrier and speaking with someone in person.

Finally, if none of these options work, you may want to consider reaching out to a third-party repair shop or technician who may be able to diagnose and fix the issue.

I hope this information helps, and I wish you the best of luck in resolving the issue with your phone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! That's a frustrating situation. When you talk about eBay bots, are you talking about this? pages.ebay.com/ml/en-us/coverage/BuyerProtectionForBuyers.html

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Unlock version Samsung with Verizon sim should have Wi-Fi calling , where you looking for WiFi?
If it's not there then flash to the carrier version see if it's available.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app

swchance

Mar 13, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for your reply. Yes, wi-fi calling is supported by my carrier (Verizon) and my model of phone (Galaxy s20+). I've reset my network settings and even did a factory reset, nothing. The closest town of any size is over 50 miles. The Verizon store does no repairs, and the independant repair shops don't have terrible reviews; 90 day turnaround times.

I'll contact Verizon again about speaking to someone in tech support at the next level. I think that may have already happened though.

Don't know why, but I feel that whoevers version of android this is had this feature removed (blacked-out) for what ever reason.

Should Verizon tech support not pan out, I thought of looking into updating the os with another version. It seems similar to updating a pc's BIOS or when I used to jailbreak my iPhone back in the day.

Before I go this route I'd appreciate someone (if), I was hoping if anyone knew if it's feasible on this version of phone. And lend some advice as to what different version might would accomplish this. Left on my own I'd probably brick the darmn thing. Qwerty

As far as bots on ebay go, every move I made to either exchange or return fhe phone was met with some stock canned solution sending me around and around in an endless loop, including buyer protection.

Thanks again guys

swchance

Mar 13, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for responding mustang7757. Yes, im looking for wi-fi calling. Which carrier version would i need? Which carrier? If I understand it right the service provider software version tells something about this. Unfortunately I'm not knowledged in deciphering this.

tmb/tmb, tmb/vzw.

My guess is it references T-mobile and Verizon? Beyond that I haven't a clue. If that's even correct.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for responding mustang7757. Yes, im looking for wi-fi calling. Which carrier version would i need? Which carrier? If I understand it right the service provider software version tells something about this. Unfortunately I'm not knowledged in deciphering this.

tmb/tmb, tmb/vzw.

My guess is it references T-mobile and Verizon? Beyond that I haven't a clue. If that's even correct.
Tmb/Tmb/tmb/vzw means it's originally Verizon phone with TMobile esim or sim ?

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Model: sm-g986u1 this model number is carrier free /bloat free Samsung version firmware

If it was Model: sm-g986u that be carrier version

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
If you go settings>connection>WiFi calling do u see it listed like my screen shot?
cd90320b77e61724771c563de3d1c55e.jpg

swchance

Mar 13, 2023
Visit site
Wi-fi calling does not show up there. The sim that is in the phone is from Verizon. If I were to update the os who's would I use? Samsung or Verizon? Would doing this change the unlocked status?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Wi-fi calling does not show up there. The sim that is in the phone is from Verizon. If I were to update the os who's would I use? Samsung or Verizon? Would doing this change the unlocked status?
This my unlock Samsung version
ATT/Att/ATT/XAA

The XAA means =unlocked version
ATT=means ATT sim or esim installed

Screenshot_20230314_141545_Settings.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using AC Forums mobile app