Pay as you go plan for N5?

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm contemplating getting an N6, if I do I'll probably hand my N5 to my girlfriend who prefers pay as you go plans (she's currently using a burner from tracfone). Has any used an N5 with a pay as you go service? Do nay of them support LTE?

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm using my nexus 5 on straight talk with their at&t Sim card.. It gets LTE.. $49 n some change every month.. Love it, works great for me and my girlfriend who has the nexus 4 on them as well..

Posted via Android Central App

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I like my Consumer Cellular provider.
No contract plan...no cancel fees....low cost...good customer service.
Good for users with average data needs.
My $35 / month gets me--> 2 users/200 minutes/2000 text/300 MB ($10 month included) data.
Other plans available. eg. 2.5GB is $30 per month.
Excellent app to track usage. Change plans on the fly if you need more or less minutes...avoids overages.
Yes on LTE.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually asking about Pay as You Go as opposed to cheap no contract plans. Pay as you go plans provide X amounts of minutes or data which don't expire so there is no monthly fee. They make sense for a phone that's hardly used for phone calls.

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
can you work with this, a global sim used locally, roaming on ither ATT or tmobile & at best hspa speeds? -

truphone rates in US.PNG

at those rates?

where you simply add credit that you can use to ither all data or voice, or both, tethering also, you're choice, which the credit doesn't expire, but you simply need activity on the account, with no dormancy longer than 3 months, or there's a $3.50 charge for that dormancy -

https://myaccount.truphone.com/en-US/Product/CustomizeProduct

which you can top off at any amount desired, from as little as $15, to as high as $150, or auto top offs when funds get low to a certain level..

(make sure you contact your bank beforehand, since truphone's processing is based in the UK, & your bank may flag the sim credit attempt as fraudulent & stop it)

workable?

Gary_Berg

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I ran my N5 on T-Mobile pay as you go. No data, just talk. This was the plan where $100 gets your 1000 minutes good for a year. Swapped Sim at store from my old flip phone because size was different. Worked fine beyond the limitations of TN coverage.

jimmiekain

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm contemplating getting an N6, if I do I'll probably hand my N5 to my girlfriend who prefers pay as you go plans (she's currently using a burner from tracfone). Has any used an N5 with a pay as you go service? Do nay of them support LTE?
Yes, it will work just put the Sim in and make sure the APN settings are correct and if you're in an LTE area you will get LTE. One thing to remember is that most MVNO's make you use proxies so your ping times will be higher than normal but not noticeable for most people unless your playing games online.

If you are going to use straight talk one thing you will want to consider is that straight talk said they give you unlimited data but actually will start to slow your speed down if you use more than about 2 gigabytes in one month. I for one had a very bad experience with straight talk as a service provider. They slowed me down after using only nine hundred megabytes and said it was because I violated the Terms of Service by using my phone as a hotspot on a laptop. I told him that was incorrect and I do not even own a laptop and had never use the hotspot feature. Nobody in their customer service department would listen to me so I took the sim out and started using tmobile prepaid service. As for T Mobile as a prepaid service provider I have not had any issues whatsoever other than a few areas where I had no service. Currently I use the 70 prepaid service that gives me unlimited everything at T Mobile. The most I have use in 1 month was about 19 gigabytes and they never did slow me down or cut me off it's totally awesome.

If your girlfriends reason for using prepaid is to save money she may want to consider the fact that prepaid service is for 30 days not for a month. What this means is she will actually make a payment 13 times a month versus 12 payments a month with postpaid service. This is because if you take 365 because that's how many days are in a year and divide it by 30 you get 12.166. Also that none of the prepaid providers let you use employee / corporate discounts. The reason why that is important is because right now AT&T has a special offering 30 gigabytes of data with unlimited talk and text for the same price as the 15 gigabyte data plan. The cost is 130 a month if you work for a large company like I do they will offer you a discount of 15 to 20 percent off of your monthly bill. My company allows 20% off at&t. Meaning that if I switch to AT&T which I plan to do later this month my wife and I will have a cheaper plan then us both being on tmobile. Now yes we will not have unlimited data anymore but the 30gb allowed is more than enough.

So depending on your situation, prepaid may be costing you more money than postpaid.

If her reason for prepaid is that she has bad credit; there's no need to fear... You giving her your phone means no contract so her bad credit (if that's the case) will make no difference.

Good luck!

nxbilly88

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
i know a lot of folk on here are probably outside the UK. but if anyone is reading this from the UK then i'd have to suggest Three.

£15 (that's about $21) a month you get 300 mins, 3000 texts and all you can eat data. this includes both 3G and 4G!!. I would be with them in a heartbeat if only their signal wasn't poor in my area. maybe if they improve it at some point i'll upgrade.