16 GB of space

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
How many folks are able to get by comfortably with just 16 GB of storage on your phone? I bought the 16 GB nexus 5 from a T-Mobile store back in late July. It was an emergency and I couldn't wait for a shipped phone from google. My plan was to get the 32 GB version later. But I've found that I always stream music and store most of my work related docs and spreadsheets on my work google drive as well as personal pics on my personal google drive. I've noticed that I always have at least 6 GB available on my phone. So I don't think I need to upgrade to 32 GB. Does anyone else find 16 GB to be enough?

Posted via the Android Central App

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
16 GB is more than enough for me, but I do not play a bunch of games.

I don't either. I think I have 5 games on my phone. The biggest is Simpsons tapped out which is huge but the total for all of them combined is under 2 GB.

Boby Irawan

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
The only reason for me if buying 32GB storage phone is for my movies. And I don't think it too necessary, so I'm comfortable enough with 16GB. If you using cloud service, it doesn't really matter.

kilskev

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
So you need more than that for your primary phone?

With cloud storage available no have 32 gig m8. With 64 gig card and I use about 10 gigs total. Love having space to spare with drive I can live with 16

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have the Nexus 5 with 32GB since it was release and I have 26.7GB of free storage space. I have all the App and music I want and a 16GB model would have been enough.

However if anyone wants a tiny low profile thumb drive with micro USB that only sticks out 1/3" then check out the;

diskGO® Micro USB Flash Drive

The 32GB diskGO Micro USB Flash Drive is on Amazon for under $26.

Very cool. Thanks for the tip.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
However if anyone wants a tiny low profile thumb drive with micro USB that only sticks out 1/3" then check out the;

diskGO® Micro USB Flash Drive

The 32GB diskGO Micro USB Flash Drive is on Amazon for under $26.

Do you own this flash drive? I ask because it looks like the "Micro" in that product name is referring to the size of the overall drive, not to it having a MicroUSB connector (a number of sites offering more than just the photo of it with the cap show it appearing to have a full-size USB connector).

I've been using Meenova's Dash Micro MicroSD reader with MicroUSB connector, which is a steal for only $15 including worldwide shipping (though you have to budget the cost for a MicroSD card). It's pretty compact, only sticking out about 0.6", and is compatible with up to 128GB cards and includes a USB adapter which make it much easier to transfer materials back and forth.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Keep in mind that with the 16 GB Nexus 5, you have a little over 12 GB of usable internal storage, after accounting for the OS and preinstalled apps. That may still be plenty for most people, but be aware that it isn't a full 16 GB available to you.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Keep in mind that with the 16 GB Nexus 5, you have a little over 12 GB of usable internal storage, after accounting for the OS and preinstalled apps. That may still be plenty for most people, but be aware that it isn't a full 16 GB available to you.

Always good to mention that.

Shilohcane

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Do you own this flash drive? I ask because it looks like the "Micro" in that product name is referring to the size of the overall drive, not to it having a MicroUSB connector (a number of sites offering more than just the photo of it with the cap show it appearing to have a full-size USB connector).

I've been using Meenova's Dash Micro MicroSD reader with MicroUSB connector, which is a steal for only $15 including worldwide shipping (though you have to budget the cost for a MicroSD card). It's pretty compact, only sticking out about 0.6", and is compatible with up to 128GB cards and includes a USB adapter which make it much easier to transfer materials back and forth.

Thanks I see the issue now when I looked at the Tech Specs that it is a full size USB stick not a true Micro USB interface. Sorry for the post and I have corrected it above.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
for me 32GB was needed, i have 7GB remaining but it will easily get filled. But i've also uploaded a lot of music for my commute driving (i also stream music as well) and take a lot of photos.

ncfanboy

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I have the 32gb Nexus 5 I have right now about 5gb free I still like to keep my music directly on the phone. If I do get the Nexus 6 I'll go with the 64gb I rather have too much space then to little.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have the 32gb Nexus 5 I have right now about 5gb free I still like to keep my music directly on the phone. If I do get the Nexus 6 I'll go with the 64gb I rather have too much space then to little.

I agree with having too much over too little. I don't store much music directly on my phone. I do listen to music on my commute but I find CDs sound much better. If I was storing music in large amounts on my phone then I would need 32 or 64 gb of space. But I don't and given all my work and personal documents are on drive I still have 6.5 gb left on my phone so 16 is still working for me but I haven't ruled out getting the 32 gb nexus 5 just to cover my bases.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I have always been fine with 16gb on all my devices. Thanks to Dropbox, play music and amazon music.

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I've never run out of space on my 16gb nexus 5 but I have noticed my cached data can get quite high (1.5gb or so) and photos/videos can quietly eat up space if you take a lot and don't delete unwanted shots periodically. Yesterday I was down to 2gb available space before clearing cached data, downloads and a bunch of videos and photos. And now I'm at 5.6gb free space. Since I use g+ auto backup it's not a big deal removing all that stuff I just need to remember to do it a little more often.

Posted via Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38