Nexus 5 with Lollipop impressions

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Can we use a single thread for this?

Has anyone been able to install it? Try it?

I bought an Nexus 5 last week and called Google for a return. Want to try Lollipop first before sending it back.

If Lollipop can help with the battery life I may end up keeping it.

frenziedfemale

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what was your battery life? I don't find my battery life to be bad, but I guess it is subjective.
I will flash the update later today...after a nap..and let you know what I think.

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I've got no numbers for you.

Just comparing it to my previous M7 the battery was basically the same, not good.

Now to be fair, I refuse to pay $600+ for a phone right now so at the prices I'm willing to pay battery performance will be an issue with any device I pirchase.

I did order a Oneplus One (on its way to me) and will hopefully get better battery from it. I actually had one several weeks ago and dropped it (cracked screen) couple of days after getting so I couldn't really test the battery too much.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I've got no numbers for you.

Just comparing it to my previous M7 the battery was basically the same, not good.

Now to be fair, I refuse to pay $600+ for a phone right now so at the prices I'm willing to pay battery performance will be an issue with any device I pirchase.

I did order a Oneplus One (on its way to me) and will hopefully get better battery from it. I actually had one several weeks ago and dropped it (cracked screen) couple of days after getting so I couldn't really test the battery too much.

The battery on my one plus literally lasted double the time than on my nexus. You won't have issues there.

Soylent_Green

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Battery life isn't bad on the Nexus 5 so long as you don't have apps that drain your battery. The lollipop update really helps with battery life as well, I've seen a 50% increase in some cases.

Sent from my Nexus 5 running Android 5.0 Lollipop

davinwv

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
Please tell me the new radio makes WiFi hopping between 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz work better on the N5. My N9's WiFi is excellent!

Posted via the Kick-*** Android Central App

StealthTH

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I feel the radios have been hugely improved. I'm on sprint, and were I work I would be spotty between LTE, 3g, and just 1x. Last night at work I was solid LTE most of the time and very rarely dropped to 3g. Never dropped signal at all either which used to be common as well.

Posted via the Android Central App

leafs123

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think we'll see proper battery benefits from Lollipop until devs update their apps with respect to background and Google play services backend stuff.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I flashed the update today and I can't say much about how much battery life has improved because when I unplugged the charger it was at 70%.

Project Volta isn't some silver bullet regarding battery life but if developers start taking advantage of it we can see dramatic improvements in battery life not just on the Nexus 5, but many other devices as well.

The new power saver mode is pretty awesome btw. I'll report more detailed info on battery tomorrow.

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Battery states will take a few days to come in. A lot of people are going to be glued to their phones and using it more then they normally would because of setting up and stuff.

Anyway I must say I feel like i have a brand new phone now. I put on a new Case ReAarth ringke Fusion (gray) and a new screen protector. I am now not upgrading my phone. Although I wouldn't mind getting a 32 GB Damn Simpsons Tapped out takes a lot of space.

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
How about bluetooth?

One of the main reasons for me wanting to return the N5 is the awful bluetooth performance. More specifically audio streaming.

I listen to a lot of podcasts/music via Bluetooth on my plantronics headsets (m55, m165, m50) and they all suffer from awful connection issues with the N5. They all worked perfectly on my old M7 and even a spare Iphone 4 I have in my house.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I flashed the update today and I can't say much about how much battery life has improved because when I unplugged the charger it was at 70%.

Project Volta isn't some silver bullet regarding battery life but if developers start taking advantage of it we can see dramatic improvements in battery life not just on the Nexus 5, but many other devices as well.

The new power saver mode is pretty awesome btw. I'll report more detailed info on battery tomorrow.
Pretty much this. Lollipop will be providing some improvements to battery, but don't be blown away by dramatic increases to usage time between charges.

Also, for users comparing the Nexus 5 battery life to other devices, remember that it's wrong to compare devices that have significant battery capacity differences. For example, the 3000mAh size of the One Plus One will provide longer battery life than the Nexus 5's 2300mAh, simply due to capacity. Yes, software, device settings, etc. have a lot to do with it as well.

I'll be installing the update soon, and will report my experience.

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
How about bluetooth?

One of the main reasons for me wanting to return the N5 is the awful bluetooth performance. More specifically audio streaming.

I listen to a lot of podcasts/music via Bluetooth on my plantronics headsets (m55, m165, m50) and they all suffer from awful connection issues with the N5. They all worked perfectly on my old M7 and even a spare Iphone 4 I have in my house.

Really? I stream my Google Music to my car a lot and have never had a disruption.

javierlp

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Really? I stream my Google Music to my car a lot and have never had a disruption.

To be more specific, it happens at my house and in my daily walk/run. Sound just cuts off, in and out. This doesn't happen with the other devices I've mentioned.

Seems like the N5 bluetooth connection is bit more sensitive when I'm in movement.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
To be more specific, it happens at my house and in my daily walk/run. Sound just cuts off, in and out. This doesn't happen with the other devices I've mentioned.

Seems like the N5 bluetooth connection is bit more sensitive when I'm in movement.

Using bluetooth with my cheap August bluetooth speakers and Sony Bluetooth headphones is excellent, never once did I have any connectivity issues.

superblast

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 5 has had the best battery life of any phone I've had. I am not a power user by any means, but I've only had to plug it in to charge midday a couple of times in the year that I've had it. Typically, I drop it on my Qi charger each night and it goes all day. Having said that, I know there are better phones out there with respect to battery life.

I flashed it with Lollipop yesterday and it's been off the charger for about seven hours so far today and I'm at 83%. A lot of people have been checking it out here at work too so it's getting more of a workout than usual.

Really liking the new OS a lot so far. Google did a fine job. A nice surprise was the flashlight widget in the quick settings panel. Stupid I know but it should have been there long ago! I like the Messenger app better than Hangouts and I'm fine with the unified email app. Exchange mail has been working fine today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickness54