Nexus 5 with Lollipop impressions

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
I do not like the notifications at all.
I want to see an icon on the lock screen but without giving my email address when mail arrives.

Posted via the Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I do not like the notifications at all.
I want to see an icon on the lock screen but without giving my email address when mail arrives.

I think you can adjust how much info is given in notifications?

Posted via Nexus 5 with Lollipop!

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Really liking L so far, animation transitions are nice, lockscreen notifications rock and everything just seems fluid as a whole. Sad the OK google via screen off (ala moto) doesn't work.

OK Google worked when screen was off? Wasn't that only when your phone was on charging as well?

zedz

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
OK Google worked when screen was off? Wasn't that only when your phone was on charging as well?

There's a 3rd option that allows it to work when the screen is locked. My Nexus 9 works when the screen is locked and off but on my Nexus 5 the screen needs to be on.

Posted via the Android Central App with Nexus 5 or 9.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site

Nope it didn't but its been introduced with lollipop to devices that support it, I believe the nexus 6 supports it. I meant I wish we could wake up the device saying "OK Google"... No we never had it. Moto x does as a feature based on its design.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
There's a 3rd option that allows it to work when the screen is locked. My Nexus 9 works when the screen is locked and off but on my Nexus 5 the screen needs to be on.

Posted via the Android Central App with Nexus 5 or 9.

Ya we had that in KitKat as well. Its cool but not the same. I would like it to wake up the device, since my commute is long and sometimes text my wife or others using voice I wouldnt need to turn it on manually but rather just say OK Google.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
Nope it didn't but its been introduced with lollipop to devices that support it, I believe the nexus 6 supports it. I meant I wish we could wake up the device saying "OK Google"... No we never had it. Moto x does as a feature based on its design.

I was expecting that this feature arrives on the Nexus 5, but I have a number of possible reasons why it didn't arrive.

First of all the Moto X 2013 and 2014 both have a special low power voice detection chip, if you check the specifications page:

1416149254799.jpg

This special kind of chip is limited to high end Motorola devices and I hear that it is on the Nexus 6 as well, maybe that's why it has voice control when screen is off.

However! The Nexus 9 also has this feature and it's an HTC device and all Snapdragon 800(and above) devices have their own DSP for low power voice detection(albeit not as good as Motorola's chip).

Maybe they decided not to give it to the Nexus 5 because it would cause battery drain and the Nexus 5 doesn't have the best battery life as is.

I personally might be moving to a Custom ROM soon if it offers voice control when phone is off, *cough* ParanoidAndroid maybe *cough*. :p

Benjamin_NYC

Banned
May 15, 2014
Visit site
Also haven't noticed any battery improvement...its exactly the same so far but maybe it will improve over the weeks.

Because there isn't. But the N5 battery is perfectly sufficient, so none was needed.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Because there isn't. But the N5 battery is perfectly sufficient, so none was needed.

You're certain the battery life for all devices running L won't be better optimized to sustain longer battery life? Im not but that's why I'm asking here ;)

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
You're certain the battery life for all devices running L won't be better optimized to sustain longer battery life? Im not but that's why I'm asking here ;)

There will be eventually when app devs take advantage of the changes of Volta. Just updating to Lollipop itself is not a big change in battery life according to reports.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevinrshay1984