Battery consumption increses overnight

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Got a stock N5 on 4.4.4, that I do very little with - most of the Google apps are disabled, no social media, just use AquaMail for email & Textra for SMS. Data is always off unless I'm out & about when it's turned on as needed. Wifi is on.

During the day, doing the odd text & email, battery consumption is about 10% per 3-4h - this is both at work where phone signal is ok, and home and where signal is almost non existent.

Then bizarrely most nights just after I've gone to bed, battery use will then increase noticeably all night - often nearly double what it was. It's not a burst, it's a permanent step change to a new consumption rate.

Anyone else seen anything like this??

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It's a laugh isn't it? I sympathise because I've had, and continue to have, battery problems on all my phones. Lumia 1020....worse battery life after WP8.1 update. Nexus 5...worse battery after Lollipop update. LG G3...worse battery of late, coincident with nothing, unless it's colder weather. Lumia 930 okay, but here's an good one-off to make you laugh....an overnight battery drain from 100% to 3%, phone actually powered off to protect the battery. After a while you lose interest.

But excuse my gloom. What do your battery stats reveal to be the app or apps responsible for the drain? Also, are your sync settings okay, and is your location reporting, if On, set to battery saving mode?

Posted via the Android Central App

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
There's no apps that stands out as a battery hog - Kernel & Android System are by far the bigger users.
Overall Wifi used 46% of the last stats, but then that's on all the time.
GPS is off and location is on battery saving. NFC is off, BT is off..

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Try this once. Reboot your phone, and charge it to 100%. Then, if the battery drains more than expected, do the following
Tap on Battery in Settings, and share a screen print of what you see. Tap on the graph at the top, and share a screen print of what you see. Press the Back button to go back to the battery page, and tap on the top 3 battery drains one by one and provide screen prints of what you see.
That may help figure out what's going on.

davpic

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a Note 4 running 4.4.4. It has been doing exactly what you described. During the night, or more accurately, when I am home and connected to wifi, drain will increase. No specific apps are displayed as using more than normal battery. After a restart, battery drain returns to an almost flat line. The drain happens regardless of GPS mode. I even tried factory reset, but that didn't work. After reset, I installed only a handful of my most needed apps. I have also disabled almost everything the system allows me to. The last 2 days I have had Google search disabled, and have not seen the problem, but I'm not ready to conclude that is the problem. I love Android, but I hate that there's always some bug you have to troubleshoot with each new phone or update!

antilles76

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Just a thought that may help. Do any of you experiencing this problem have auto updat enabled for the Play Store? It could be that it is enabled and set to auto update over wifi only.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
^^^That's a good thought. Both my Androids are set to Auto Update via Wifi Only, but I seldom connect to wifi so for me it's not a problem but it may well be relevant to others in this thread.

davpic

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tip. I don't have Play set to auto-update, but I do have 2 apps that are set to do that via wifi (Amazon Cloud Drive and Pocket Casts). When I see the problem, I will try force stopping them one at a time and see if it corrects it.

davpic

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has been greatly improved by switching "keep wifi on during sleep " to "never". Contrary to what is stated on the Internet, it does not increase battery use.

Petros DIMITRIOU

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
Exactly the same stupid bug after updating to 501. I start to wonder whether I belong to google developers team or not...

Attachments

• 4894.jpg
    4894.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 9
Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Not had a chance to follow this up properly yet but I have seen an improvement after disabling the syncing of email every 15 mins overnight - it does this all day, but I'm wondering if a weak wifi signal at night is causing extra grief...

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
My battery life has been greatly improved by switching "keep wifi on during sleep " to "never". Contrary to what is stated on the Internet, it does not increase battery use.

Yes, I noticed that mine was set to Keep Wifi On....I think it must have reset to that as a default setting after I Factory Resetted. I've reset it to Keep On Only When Charging....I don't leave it charging overnight but it least it gets a bit of wifi time to itself if there's anything it feels like doing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty