How do I know if my Nexux 5 has USB host support?

tomorrowisalongtime

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello.

I want to download an app to control my DSLR camera, but the app description says I should make sure I have a USB OTG cable and my phone has USB host support. I have a NON-rooted Nexus 5 running Lollipop 5.0.1. I've been searching the web trying to figure out how to check if my phone has USB host support, but I haven't come across anything that can confirm or deny this.

I'm a complete noob, so any help or input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS.- This is the app I want to try out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dslr.dashboard&hl=es

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
As far as I can find, the Nexus 5 supports USB host mode out of the box when it's running Lollipop. It supports OTG with "helper apps". According to the app's Play page, it works with 4.0 or later, so it may be one of those helper apps. (The app is free, and the only difference between an 84 cent [shipping included] OTG cable on eBay and a $39.95 OTG cable is the name on the connector. The 1/4" of wire that makes a straight microUSB-to-USB-female cable an OTG cable is just wire - even if it were gold it wouldn't be worth the $39 difference. [And if the Samsung OTG cable quality is anything like the quality of the connectors in the cable they supplied with the Precedent phone, I'd rather take my chances with a Chinese knockoff. The connector on that cable fell apart - and I'm easy on my cables. My $2 OTG cable has been working for about a year - with no problems, and it feels well made.] So buy a cable, install the app and try it. If it doesn't work, you still have an OTG cable and you can still mount flash drives, connect mice and keyboards, etc.)

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the question. I hadn't tried my SD card file transfer since installing LP.
My camera has a SD Card.

I have:
1. OTG cable - dangle cord with female USB connector.
2. SD Card reader - with Male USB connector
3. 2GB SD Card containing photos in the DCIM folder.
4. Nexus Media Importer app installed.

I plug the SD Card into the reader.
I plug the SD Card reader into the OTG cable.
I plug the OTG cable into my N5.
Nexus Media Importer app starts and shows CONNECTED to the SD Card.
The 2 part NMI file manager display shows the SD Card directory & my N5 storage directory.
I can select one or more files from the SD Card & the destination folder in my N5.
I can create a new folder in my destination directory if desired.
I then press the COPY option and the files are transferred.
I use the NMI Disconnect option when finished.
I then unplug the OTG cable.

Hope this helps

Note my N5 File Manager (X-Plore app) does not show the contents of the SD Card directly.

jvai

Apr 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the question. I hadn't tried my SD card file transfer since installing LP.
My camera has a SD Card.

I have:
1. OTG cable - dangle cord with female USB connector.
2. SD Card reader - with Male USB connector
3. 2GB SD Card containing photos in the DCIM folder.
4. Nexus Media Importer app installed.

I plug the SD Card into the reader.
I plug the SD Card reader into the OTG cable.
I plug the OTG cable into my N5.
Nexus Media Importer app starts and shows CONNECTED to the SD Card.
The 2 part NMI file manager display shows the SD Card directory & my N5 storage directory.
I can select one or more files from the SD Card & the destination folder in my N5.
I can create a new folder in my destination directory if desired.
I then press the COPY option and the files are transferred.
I use the NMI Disconnect option when finished.
I then unplug the OTG cable.

Hope this helps

Note my N5 File Manager (X-Plore app) does not show the contents of the SD Card directly.

lol.. you know, ealier today I purchased the Nexus Media Importer app, & did an online order for a utg cable from staples, from looking at this vid -

Expandable Storage on the Google Nexus 5, 6, 7, 9, and 10! (StickMount)

my goal is to simply mount a 64 gb usb drive filled with movies & screencast the play on a larger tv with chromecast, from vlc on the nexus 5..

camanokid

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Note the user in this video is using Stickmount app which requires root.
This gives him direct access to the usb device.
Nexus Media Importer does not require root...but does not give direct access.
With NMI you will need to copy your file to the N5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38