RV Travling to Canada with Cell Phone Coverage

DLK1

Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
A little info and some questions. I have a Nexus 5 that I have been happy with for 16 months. It is of course Carrier Unlocked, Boot-loader Unlocked and Rooted. I live and travel in an RV permanently for 6 years now and will do so until I can no longer physically do it (long time I hope). I travel all 4 corners of the US. I am currently in FL. I will be making a trip this summer to Canada, New Brunswick, Prince Edwards Island, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland. My phone carrier is AT&T. I am grandfathered in on a plan that I have had forever, if has rollover minutes and unlimited data. I do not want to do anything that would disrupt this plan. Because if for some reason I got knocked off unlimited data I am sure I would never get back. Carriers these day are trying everything got get people off these plans. Now for my questions, what would be the best way to have cell phone coverage in these Providences and maybe others, for lets say 2 or 3 months? I could add international calling to my current coverage for that time period. But remember I do not want to do anything to disrupt my unlimited data. Another option not sure about this, I have an old retired iPhone 4, could I go to Canada go to a Walmart and get plan that that country offers on my iPhone? It is however locked to AT&T network, so not sure how that would work. I guess one could just buy a throwaway phone, however do you buy it in the US or in Canada? The last option that is not a good one, is I could turnoff my phone for 2 months and tell everyone I know I fell off the face of the earth (which would almost be true):D. I would appreciate any advice from someone who has done this or has worked in the cell phone business. Or anyone who is knowledgeable of such things. Here is my 2 cents worth, let me have yours.

Thank you in advance!

Danny:D

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
When you get to Canada, ask at various carriers (Rogers, Bell, etc.) if the phone is compatible with their system. (It most likely will be with most Canadian carriers.) Get a month-to-month setup with them, and put their SIM into the phone. (Don't lose the AT&T SIM.) People will have to call you on your Canadian number.

When you get back to the US, put the AT&T SIM back in the phone. As far as AT&T is concerned, you had the phone turned off this summer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez