Why is my Nexus 5 randomly turning off to not turning on at all?

holczol

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Nexus 5; randomly turning off to not turning on at all

A few hours before the update my Nexus 5 started to turn off and on randomly. The update then came through and I installed it, since then my phone carried on turning off and on randomly but now from last night through till this morning I can't get it to go past the 'Google' screen.

Any advice on what I can do?
My device started turning on and off randomly when the last update rolled through but it faded out. However, this time my phone won't even turn on.

holczol

May 29, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nexus 5; randomly turning off to not turning on at all

No, I can get to the screen with the Android laying down with his chest open but then the phone will go straight to the 'Google' screen and try and turn on but fail

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

At the screen with the Android lying down, the Power-then-Volume-Up button press sequence doesn't do anything?

holczol

May 29, 2015
Visit site

I managed to get to the part of the screen where it said wipe cache partition but it wasn't allowing to choose an option. So I left it. Since, my phone had started turning on fully again and I was able to use it for a few hours with a few random turn offs but now it is happening again. I'm probably going to go to my local phone shop tomorrow and see if they can do the recovery mode situation. When I had my phone on I managed to clean my cache & app cache but it obviously isn't the problem. Any other ideas you could put forward would be appreciated. Thank you for your help so far

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Hmm, I'd be concerned that something hardware-related is starting to fail. Make sure all of your data is backed up or synced, in case the phone becomes completely unusable.

holczol

May 29, 2015
Visit site

I've backed up all my data and I'm going to factory reset it. It's been vaguely on and off these past few days. If I factory reset it, it says that it will erase all the data from my google account? Is that something that I should be worried about. Or is that fine because it's not stored locally on my nexus?

fabian bonifacio

May 16, 2015
Visit site

When that happened to me I sent it in to LG luckily my warranty was still active, they replaced my mother board

Posted via the Android Central App

holczol

May 29, 2015
Visit site

Yeah, I'm going to try and contact LG or Google and see what they suggest. But when I went into one of my local phone shops they told me that I might have breached my warranty as it's had a few mishaps so they may not accept it if that makes sense

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

If I factory reset it, it says that it will erase all the data from my google account? Is that something that I should be worried about. Or is that fine because it's not stored locally on my nexus?

What it means is that it will erase all locally stored Google data. That data will still be safe in the cloud.

holczol

May 29, 2015
Visit site

I did it, but my phones still turning off and on barely getting past the Google screen :(

fabian bonifacio

May 16, 2015
Visit site

I'm almost positive your mother board needs replacement, the exact same thing happened to me

Posted via the Android Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez