Why can't I log into Google Photos?

A

AC Question

Can't log in to Google Photos

Yesterday the screen on my Nexus 5 stopped working (same thing happened to my wife's right after the 5.1.1 update) and the only solution was to do a factory reset. I've got all my apps updated now, and I want to see the pictures I had taken before the reset. I had auto-backup enabled in Photos, but now when I run it it wants me to sign in (as I would expect), so I hit Sign In and it says Checking info for a few seconds before I get a screen saying "Add your account." I type in my email address and hit NEXT, but it says "This account already exists on your device."

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Can't log in to Google Photos

Welcome to Android Central! What does the Add Your Account screen look like? Does it look like part of the Photos app, or part of the system (i.e., is it taking you to the Settings>Accounts>Add Account menu)? Can you show us a few screenshots of that process? http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

In the meantime, go to Settings>Accounts-Google>[your Google account], and make sure Google Photos is checked on.

timousine

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

The forum wouldn't let me upload my pictures, said I can't post links because I have fewer than ten posts. I've tried everything I can think of but it won't let me post my screenshots.

timousine

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site

It's different from the Settings -> Accounts -> Add Account screen. I go to the Photos app and see this:

http://www.timousine.com/screenshots/1.png

I hit GET STARTED and get this:

http://www.timousine.com/screenshots/2.png

So I hit SIGN IN. It does this for a couple seconds:

http://www.timousine.com/screenshots/3.png

Then goes to this screen:

http://www.timousine.com/screenshots/4.png

I enter my email address and hit NEXT but I get this:

[redacted by Mod]

Settings -> Accounts -> Google -> [email removed] doesn't have Google Photos as an option to check.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

FYI, I redacted that last image link, since that image contained your actual email address. For others looking at this thread, it showed the OP's Gmail address entered into the sign-in account field, and a message underneath it saying "This account already exists on your device."

Go to Settings>Apps>All, select Photos, and Clear Cache/Clear Data, then Force Stop. Now try again.

I know you just recently did a factory reset, but if the above doesn't work, then go to Settings>Accounts, and remove your Google account. Now add it back again, and try Google Photos again.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

I had this problem on my daughter's Nexus 4. It had 2 "Photos" apps on it. I cleared the cache on both, forced stop, disabled 1 app, then restarted. Then enabled app again then did play store update of the new Photos app, then it worked.

BMukherjee91

Jan 2, 2011
Visit site

Great! Which suggestion was the one that fixed it?

B - I had the same issue after upgrading the Photos app. Guess, if you were using the older version, you have to clear cache once, before it can synch. up your active Google ID. Thanks.

bulletmark

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site

Actually, further to my post above. I also later experienced this on my wife's Nexus 5. I just stopped both Photo apps, cleared the cache (of the one that offered this option), and then entered the Photo app again and the problem was fixed. Seems like this is a very generic bug.

GoBosSox

Jul 8, 2015
Visit site

I'm still having this same problem after upgrading to Android Lollipop on my Droid Turbo. I've disabled and restarted both the Photo apps, tried reinstalling google photo from the App Store, and I've deleted and reinstalled my google account on my phone. I've also tired "Settings -> Accounts -> Google ->[My account]" but there isn't Google Photos as an option to check.

Jason Molter

Jul 9, 2015
Visit site
Same problem. Just got a new Galaxy S6 and trying to open Photos which I've used all along, getting "this account already exists on your device" after going through the Sign In step and entering my email. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling. Have tried removing my Google account on the device. Have even tried factory reset. Making matters worse, I went back to my Galaxy S4 where the app was still working, and uninstalled and tried reinstall, and now same problem on that device. This is maddening! I need access to my Photos (thousands and thousands there!) - yes, I can still get them through web browser, but app won't work, and usually only have my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty