Nexus 5 keeps shutting off

glc650

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

Got a 16GB Nexus 5 that has started to shut itself off while being used even though the battery has plenty of charge left. Once it shuts itself off, only way to get it back on (and stay on) is to put it on the charger. Once I do that I get the Optimizing apps screen on start up. After that Android loads and the phone is usable again. Can even pull it off the charger and use it until it decides to shut off again. Running 5.1.1 after a clean install. Any ideas?

Thanks,

->g.

nexus5user

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Same thing has been happening to me. Would love any help or advice that anyone could offer. I love my N5 but I'm due for an upgrade soon and the restarts are getting old. Much prefer to keep my N5.

glc650

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Same thing has been happening to me. Would love any help or advice that anyone could offer. I love my N5 but I'm due for an upgrade soon and the restarts are getting old. Much prefer to keep my N5.
Mines not restarting. It's shutting off entirely as if there is no battery left but when I plug it into the charger there's still plenty of charge left. One time there was still 80%+ left. And every time I plug it into the charger and turn it on it goes to the Optimizing apps screen.

tony868

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Very strange. Nothing new to add other than my stock, non-rooted N5 started doing the exact same thing. This has been going on for about a week. I did get the 5.1.1 OTA a couple weeks ago. Anyone else with this issue install that...wondering if that could be the issue?

glc650

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
Only thing I can come up with is there is something wrong with my battery. I've tried rolling back to 5.0 and 4.4.4 and within minutes of pulling it off the charger it just shuts off. One time it showed 95% battery left and after shutting off and rebooting into Android (while on the charger) it showed 65%. Had another Nexus 5 do something similar except it wouldn't even take a charge after a while. That Nexus 5 got replaced with an Asus Zenfone 2. Looks like this one will be as well. Gotta love Google and their quality products experiments. Guess its time to seriously consider a real phone.

john d7

Jul 27, 2015
Visit site
Are there any updates or findings on this issue?? I've been having the same problem. Phone just shuts off with plenty of battery % left. Usually happens when I try to take a picture or do something that uses a bit of CPU.

I replaced the battery about 2 months ago and this issue started about 2 weeks afterwards. I'm pretty sure it's the replacement battery. It's a real pain. Been carrying around a charger/ battery pack to give it the extra boost when the phone shuts off.

Waiting for the new Nexus 5 (2015) before replacing. I hope it's released in October.

bluefalcon13

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
My reboot issue is from my power button. Suggestions that have worked for others:

Try using a normal USB cable and plugging the phone into a computer and powering it up.

Or the more dangerous way: precise percussional adjustment (a decent but gentle whack) located near the power button. This has worked twice for me, but I am not worried about damage, as I also have a Nexus 6. Use at your own risk.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk