Why does tapping to turn the screen on or off turn the phone off?

Genevieve Bloom

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
Tapping to turn screen on or off turns the phone off.

A quick tap to turn the screen on or off now on my Nexus 5.1.1 Android now results on the "power off" sign to come up on the screen, and then it shuts down. (If there is any way to abort it at this point by pressing something else, that would be nice to know also.) Sometimes it is hard to get restarted and I may have to turn it on repeatedly, holding down the power button a long time before anything happens. Still, sometimes it doesn't finish turning on past the "swirls" that come on screen, and other times, it goes through the whole reboot (10+ minutes as it loads each porgram.) How can I fix this? I can't avoid hitting the power button once to bring up the screen, but I am worried every time!
If there are ways to fix this, I hope people can give me the exact instructions, or at least where to find them. Telling me to do things like "soft reboot" doesn't mean anything to me without more specific instructions, as I am not a tech-head. Thanks!

Genevieve Bloom

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
belodoin: I did what you suggested, but it now is worse. I got to the part where I "wipe cache partition" and the screen went black. I was able to get it going again, and got as far as the reboot instruction but it doed again and now won't do anything. If attacjed to a chage, the screen blinks slowly on and off saying "Google" but if not attached to power, it does nothing, even thought the phone was charged and probably at 90% when I started this. If I hold down the volume and power buttons, I can now get the home screen for reboot recovery, but it shows only briefly. I can get it to the "start" or power off command, or one other about rebooting, but I can't get it to accept a command for these before it disappears and google starts slowly blinking again. Any ideas now?

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I will ask some friends who are far more knowledgeable than I am.

Edit, later: One of the friends suggested that the Power button may be sticking.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

chaingangritesh

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Re: Tapping to turn screen on or off turns the phone off.

Even I have started facing the exact issue since yesterday night :confused: I don't know what happened to my phone. Is there some software issue or something? because I use my phone very carefully so suddenly such things happening might not be due to rough usage.

A quick tap to turn the screen on or off now on my Nexus 5.1.1 Android now results on the "power off" sign to come up on the screen, and then it shuts down. (If there is any way to abort it at this point by pressing something else, that would be nice to know also.) Sometimes it is hard to get restarted and I may have to turn it on repeatedly, holding down the power button a long time before anything happens. Still, sometimes it doesn't finish turning on past the "swirls" that come on screen, and other times, it goes through the whole reboot (10+ minutes as it loads each porgram.) How can I fix this? I can't avoid hitting the power button once to bring up the screen, but I am worried every time!
If there are ways to fix this, I hope people can give me the exact instructions, or at least where to find them. Telling me to do things like "soft reboot" doesn't mean anything to me without more specific instructions, as I am not a tech-head. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38