After 6.0 upgrade, person on other end of call can not hear my voice unless on speakerphone

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
My wife and I both have Nexus 5 phones. Completely stock everything. We both upgraded to 6.0 last week. My phone works fine, but my wife's phone has a problem where the person on the other end of a call can not hear her voice. If she mashes the keypad the person will hear beeps, and if she goes on speakerphone the person can hear her, but when she is using the phone like a regular phone (holding it up to her face and talking), she can hear the other person fine but they can't hear her. She also can't voice-to-text dictate, either. Something up with the microphone.

I did some Googling and came up with fixes such as this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8XpdqOfZnM

But that would indicate that it is a hardware issue - but since this was introduced with the upgrade to 6.0, wouldn't that be a software issue?

We rebooted the phone and wiped the cache partition, neither of which helped. Any ideas?

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried a factory reset?
No, not yet. She doesn't use the phone as a phone very much so just realized today that there was a problem. I figured I'd throw the question out here while we're at work and see if there is anything obvious that people know. We're not against factory resetting as we barely bother to even change the default wallpaper or anything, so we'd be willing to try.

Last edited:

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
While I'd love it if I could get this phone fixed, on the other hand this does give me a reason to order the 5x...

Although with a non-working microphone, I wouldn't be able to unload the 5 on craigslist.

alvintimothyjr

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
No, not yet. She doesn't use the phone as a phone very much so just realized today that there was a problem. I figured I'd throw the question out here while we're at work and see if there is anything obvious that people know. We're not against factory resetting as we barely bother to even change the default wallpaper or anything, so we'd be willing to try.
Yeah...I'd try that first. Once you log back in to the phone your apps will be restored. Just back up whatever you want from your SD partition.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Just did a factory reset, and no dice. Still exact same problem. And furthermore, the hardware hack I read about (apply pressure to the back of the phone to better the mic connection) does nothing. At this point I have a completely useless phone thanks to marshmallow. Anyone have any ideas?

sictheangel

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Just did a factory reset, and no dice. Still exact same problem. And furthermore, the hardware hack I read about (apply pressure to the back of the phone to better the mic connection) does nothing. At this point I have a completely useless phone thanks to marshmallow. Anyone have any ideas?
Since you've already factory resetted, go ahead and see if you can flash back to the last working build of Lollipop. If it works then, it's definitely a Marshmallow bug.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Since you've already factory resetted, go ahead and see if you can flash back to the last working build of Lollipop. If it works then, it's definitely a Marshmallow bug.
Good idea, and right along with what I was thinking. Unfortunately, after I flashed to the last build of Lolipop, the mic still doesn't work. So either it was a coincidence that the mic went bad (a somewhat common thing with Nexus 5) right at the same time that the upgrade happened (or right around that time - my wife doesn't recall speaking to anyone on the phone since Tuesday and she upgraded Thursday night), or she did something to it and isn't telling me. Both very possible.

I've purchased this: USA Nexus 5 LG D820 D821 Charger Charging USB Port Dock Connector Mic Flex Cable | eBay

However, according to xda, it probably won't work:
Nexus 5 microphone only works in speakerphon… | Google Nexus 5 | XDA Forums

That would be OK if I could ever find the pressure point these threads talk about, but I've pressed on every part of the motherboard and never get it working, so in the end I really don't have a good feeling about it. I'll try once that part comes in, and if/when it doesn't work and I give up, I'll probably buy a 5x and give her my working 5.

ccrs8

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Oh well - the new flex cable didn't work - didn't break anything else, but didn't fix the problem nor allow any of the workarounds to work. I ended up buying a Nexus 5x, giving my wife my Nexus 5, and selling her mic-less Nexus 5 on craigslist "as-is" with full disclosure of the issue and some links to all the potential workarounds I could find.

Jonneh

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh well - the new flex cable didn't work - didn't break anything else, but didn't fix the problem nor allow any of the workarounds to work. I ended up buying a Nexus 5x, giving my wife my Nexus 5, and selling her mic-less Nexus 5 on craigslist "as-is" with full disclosure of the issue and some links to all the potential workarounds I could find.

How much are you asking for? I might be interested myself, if it's still available.

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1