Google Nexus 6 Better to Buy from Google or Sprint?

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Title pretty much says it all. Is there an advantage to buying directly from Google or from my local Sprint store?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Better to Buy from Google or Sprint?

Title pretty much says it all. Is there an advantage to buying directly from Google or from my local Sprint store?

With the Nexus 5 it was $100 more and you only had the option of the 16 gig storage version..... for $50 less you could buy directly from Google and get the 32 gig model.... But with Sprint you could always sign a two year contract and only shell out $199 up front vs $349 from Google play (Again for the 16 gig model... $399 for the 32 gig)

If you LOVE Sprint and they offer the Nexus 6 on contract you'd probably be better to sign a new contract and pay the reduced price....

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site

If you LOVE Sprint and they offer the Nexus 6 on contract you'd probably be better to sign a new contract and pay the reduced price....
Do you remember, how fast did carriers come out with the Nexus 5?

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Do you remember, how fast did carriers come out with the Nexus 5?

I was on Sprint for over 15 years... I originally got my Nexus 5 from the play store and had it roughly two weeks before Sprint started selling them in store (actually I think at first you had to order it online from Sprint only to get the contract price... but they started taking preorders two weeks after Google was already selling it)

I used mine on Sprint for about 6 months before I took it to T-Mobile off contract.... Cheaper and way better overall speed/coverage in my area than Sprint....

TheDroidKid

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

Bought the Nexus 4 and Nexus 5 from the google play store. Both times I had something wrong with the device they sent me a new one no questions asked. And this was like 6 months after i bought it. I was never given a refurb always brand new sealed and would return my old one

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the info. T-Mobile doesn't get a signal in my area. Only Sprint & AT&T. I'm not a fan of AT&T data caps.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the info. T-Mobile doesn't get a signal in my area. Only Sprint & AT&T. I'm not a fan of AT&T data caps.

Totally understand that..... With Sprint I got better "In between" coverage... Like driving from Dallas to San Antonio you have a lot of almost no data coverage "Phone Only" coverage but in Dallas or most major cities in Texas T-Mobile blows Sprint away.... It's once you venture far outside the metro area T-Mobile can get spotty... Lucky for me I live in the heart of the Metroplex and rarely venture out for long.... Different everywhere... I tried T-Mobile when I was in TN and they were horrible compared to Sprint in all areas.... I'd love to be on Sprint if their network was better here...

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

The only way I'm sticking with Sprint if they carry the 32 GB version. If not, I'm going to gsm. In fact I may go to gsm anyway.

stylez619

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site

Food for thought, I ordered a Nexus 5 from the Play Store the day it launched. 3 weeks ago, I accidentally shattered my screen.
With the impending launch of the 6 coming, and a desire to deplete existing inventory, Google replaced my N5 with another brand new one for free. One of the qualifying requirements was that it was purchased through the Play store. Had I bought it through AT&T, they would have turned me back to them instead.

Now, it's not an official Google policy to replace devices with accidental damage by any means - and it very well could have simply been a perfect circumstance and timing, but the option would not even have been possible for me had I not purchased it through the Play store.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

The only way I'm sticking with Sprint if they carry the 32 GB version. If not, I'm going to gsm. In fact I may go to gsm anyway.

Man I was with Sprint 15+ years... and from the Original WiMax EVO to the Nexus 5 I kept waiting and waiting for that network to get better... Finally gave up on them and made the move to T-Mobile.... Amazing how much faster my phone is since making that switch, I looked back at my bills and I averaged about 1 gig per month of data on Sprint.. Since switching to T-Mobile I've only been under 5 gig once since April, I actually get to USE my phone now... (Granted your area might be better with Sprint)

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Man I was with Sprint 15+ years... and from the Original WiMax EVO to the Nexus 5 I kept waiting and waiting for that network to get better... Finally gave up on them and made the move to T-Mobile.... Amazing how much faster my phone is since making that switch, I looked back at my bills and I averaged about 1 gig per month of data on Sprint.. Since switching to T-Mobile I've only been under 5 gig once since April, I actually get to USE my phone now... (Granted your area might be better with Sprint)

Yeah I've been with Sprint since the original EVO. I'm worried about their phone selection for the future. I mean they skipped the moto x(not that I was going to get it). All they seem to cater to are the Galaxy and iphone crowd. Im not with that Lol. Im sure they'll carry the Nexus but Im getting tired of their network. I do have LTE but its so slow at times. I want to go to Tmobile but Im concerned about their coverage outside metro areas.

LonestarROB

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

Totally understand that..... With Sprint I got better "In between" coverage... Like driving from Dallas to San Antonio you have a lot of almost no data coverage "Phone Only" coverage but in Dallas or most major cities in Texas T-Mobile blows Sprint away.... It's once you venture far outside the metro area T-Mobile can get spotty... Lucky for me I live in the heart of the Metroplex and rarely venture out for long.... Different everywhere... I tried T-Mobile when I was in TN and they were horrible compared to Sprint in all areas.... I'd love to be on Sprint if their network was better here...

What is T-Mobile like further out of Dallas like McKinney/Princeton area? Been on Sprint and it is horrible sometimes. Been looking into T-Mo for a couple months.

Thanks.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

What is T-Mobile like further out of Dallas like McKinney/Princeton area? Been on Sprint and it is horrible sometimes. Been looking into T-Mo for a couple months.

Thanks.

I live down in Coppell... I've only been up through McKinney a couple of times on the way up to Choctaw... I know I got stuck in construction traffic on 75 going through McKinney and I had a pretty good LTE signal with T-Mobile... Signal was pretty good all the way from DFW up 121 through McKinney and 75.... Once you got 4 or 5 miles north of McKinney on 75 the signal dropped to HSPA+ and was pretty slow...

Frisco, Plano, The Colony, Lewisville, Grapevine (The main areas I roam around and work in) the signal was 10, 20 or 30 times better than on Sprint... BUT with Sprint I had a better signal in between major metro areas.... Not at all familiar with Princeton area... I see it on the map right now and I can't say I've really been over that way before.... When my Sprint contract was up I just went to Walmart and picked up a T-Moblie prepaid card and SIM and tested it out since the Nexus worked on both networks.... Only problem was you had to do a factory reset once you put the T-Mobile SIM in before you could get 3G or call service.. 4G/LTE worked with the SIM but not anything else.... So back it up if you are trying it....

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Yeah I've been with Sprint since the original EVO. I'm worried about their phone selection for the future. I mean they skipped the moto x(not that I was going to get it). All they seem to cater to are the Galaxy and iphone crowd. Im not with that Lol. Im sure they'll carry the Nexus but Im getting tired of their network. I do have LTE but its so slow at times. I want to go to Tmobile but Im concerned about their coverage outside metro areas.

Yeah just depends... The massive area of Dallas and Fort Worth Texas has amazing T-Mobile coverage overall... I lived here 3 years with Sprint and I almost never got and kept an LTE signal at all... It was horribly spotty all over.... Heck in my own back yard I couldn't even send text messages or talk on the phone... I had to go out in my front yard to do so.... Same thing in the kitchen (off the back of the house) was useless.... Master bedroom and living room (Front of the house) was better... and I went through a HTC EVO LTE, Galaxy S3 and Nexus 5 thinking MAYBE it was the device..... but it was the network.... Back home in Raleigh, NC Sprint was ten times better.... but not here in Dallas...

On my way to San Antonio I got decent T-Mobile reception but it's mostly 3G and HSPA.... You are basically going to lose all LTE once you leave a major metro area.... or it will be spotty.. but (at least in Dallas and Fort Worth) their LTE saturation is top notch.... With Sprint I'd constantly drop LTE and even when I had LTE 2 - 3 Mbps download was the norm.... with T-Mobile I am usually 10 Mbps in a bad area and 20 + most everywhere else....

stanleywinthrop

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site

I think the real question is whether sprint will even carry the nexus 6. Just because it supported the 5 is no guarantee. Sprint carried the original Moto X, but not the second Gen. We shall see.

Posted via the Android Central App

Storm24

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

I live down in Coppell... I've only been up through McKinney a couple of times on the way up to Choctaw... I know I got stuck in construction traffic on 75 going through McKinney and I had a pretty good LTE signal with T-Mobile... Signal was pretty good all the way from DFW up 121 through McKinney and 75.... Once you got 4 or 5 miles north of McKinney on 75 the signal dropped to HSPA+ and was pretty slow...

Frisco, Plano, The Colony, Lewisville, Grapevine (The main areas I roam around and work in) the signal was 10, 20 or 30 times better than on Sprint... BUT with Sprint I had a better signal in between major metro areas.... Not at all familiar with Princeton area... I see it on the map right now and I can't say I've really been over that way before.... When my Sprint contract was up I just went to Walmart and picked up a T-Moblie prepaid card and SIM and tested it out since the Nexus worked on both networks.... Only problem was you had to do a factory reset once you put the T-Mobile SIM in before you could get 3G or call service.. 4G/LTE worked with the SIM but not anything else.... So back it up if you are trying it....

My brother lives in McKinney and he and his family use ATT. He has never complained about service that I know of... Just throwing that out there...

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I think the real question is whether sprint will even carry the nexus 6. Just because it supported the 5 is no guarantee. Sprint carried the original Moto X, but not the second Gen. We shall see.

Posted via the Android Central App

I have a friend who's worked for Sprint for over 10 years and is a regional sales manager.... He told me he's not seen or heard of them carrying it as of yet... (that was last week) He said the Nexus 6 chatter had been relatively quiet compared to the Nexus 5 last year.... Doesn't mean they will or won't.... He's just not seen anything that would say yes or no yet........

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Put it this way. If Sprint is dumb enough to not carry the Nexus 6, they'll just make my decision to leave them much easier.

BRIVERS73

May 7, 2010
Visit site

Put it this way. If Sprint is dumb enough to not carry the Nexus 6, they'll just make my decision to leave them much easier.

I'm thinking the same. I might just switch to T-Mobile regardless. I have a funny feeling that we might have gotten skipped this time around