Google Nexus 6 All that screen and no multi-windowing

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: All that screen and no multi-windowing

Yeah, would have been nice if that multi-window mode was ready at launch.

Maybe they're still working on it and it'll be released in a future update.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site

Would someone give me some scenarios when they would commonly use the multi-window capacity? I am trying to think of some real-world instances when I might want to do that and, since I have little Android experience so far, I'm not coming up with anything.(The only thing I can think of is wanting to look something up while using the phone, but that's available without multi-window, isn't it?)

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Would someone give me some scenarios when they would commonly use the multi-window capacity? I am trying to think of some real-world instances when I might want to do that and, since I have little Android experience so far, I'm not coming up with anything.(The only thing I can think of is wanting to look something up while using the phone, but that's available without multi-window, isn't it?)
Not much on a phone since I find it to be too cramped, but on a Tablet in landscape mode is more useful.

I use an app called Viral which is a YouTube frontend, it have pop up window mode that stay on top of other apps. So one windows for video and another for a browser or news app would be alright. The thing with Android is the multitasking experience is very good as long as you have adequate ram, and it's generally fast switching between apps.

I would like multiusers enabled for phones.

P Ip

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

I use 2 factor authentication sign-in with my Google account. Having two windows side-by-side means I can have the sign-in webpage and Authenticator next to each other without having to flip screens.

Posted via the Android Central App

dankev

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site

I used multi-window on my Note 2 when I first got it. I played with it. I showed my wife how to use it on her Note 2, too. It's been two years, and I haven't used it since. Neither has my wife. It seems like such a great idea, but I have no practical use for it. I just switch between apps when I need to.

I put it in the category of great idea, great execution, limited actual value.

I'm curious if other people with Notes ever actually use multi-window.

nothinbutnexus

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

I'd like to be able to be on hangouts video chat and still be able to do other things without leaving the video

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

I actually agree with you, but think of it this way, those specs plus stock Android L means this thing will be screaming fast and multitasking will be a dream on it.

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site

I used multi-window on my Note 2 when I first got it. I played with it. I showed my wife how to use it on her Note 2, too. It's been two years, and I haven't used it since. Neither has my wife. It seems like such a great idea, but I have no practical use for it. I just switch between apps when I need to.

I put it in the category of great idea, great execution, limited actual value.

I'm curious if other people with Notes ever actually use multi-window.

I had a Note 2 and I currently use a Note 3. Although I initially thought it was a great idea and that I would use it often, reality is, I never do. Matter of fact, the little tab on the left of the screen that shows when multi window is active annoys the crap out of me. I've come to learn that many of the features that Samsung packs into their phones are gimmicky and useless for me. Looking into a more stock experience now (MotoX or Nexus).

Not sure if many people realize that not every app is compatible with multi window. IIRC, compatibility is a function of the actual app so if the app developer didn't include it in the program, it won't work with multi window.

Posted via Android Central App

MarqBland

Oct 13, 2009
www.facebook.com

I had a Note 2 and I currently use a Note 3. Although I initially thought it was a great idea and that I would use it often, reality is, I never do. Matter of fact, the little tab on the left of the screen that shows when multi window is active annoys the crap out of me. I've come to learn that many of the features that Samsung packs into their phones are gimmicky and useless for me. Looking into a more stock experience now (MotoX or Nexus).

Not sure if many people realize that not every app is compatible with multi window. IIRC, compatibility is a function of the actual app so if the app developer didn't include it in the program, it won't work with multi window.

Same here. I currently have a OnePlus One and a Note 4 (T-Mobile shipped it early). I was considering using the Note 4 since I really need WiFi calling due to my office being buried deep in a building. I had a Note 2 a while ago and hated it until I rooted it and flashed a rom on it. I thought I'd give the Note 4 a try because I read reports that Touchwiz had gotten better. I rarely used the S-Pen and also didn't do the two program multitasking very often.

I would have preferred a Motorola phone but since they also currently lacked WiFi calling, I passed on the unlocked versions. Now with this coming out, I have shipped the Note 4 back to T-Mobile and will wait to compare the Nexus 6 to the OnePlus One.

jeffreii

CrackBerry Convert
Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

Echoing the other comment above: multi-window seems really cool and useful but I rarely used it on my Galaxy S4. Granted it's more useful on a Note/Nexus 6 sized device, but the above posters have the same thoughts from their Note experience.

Absolutely agree with itinj6 and dankev...so many features on my Galaxy S3/S4 that seemed so cool out of the box...showed them off to everyone...and then NEVER used them again except when trying to "show off" my phone to others.

I still can't convince myself that multi-window wouldn't be useful, and maybe it was just the way Samsung implemented it, but I know that I'll be ok without it.

korguror

May 29, 2011
Visit site

I love the multi window module on xda when it works. I love being able to watch YouTube and chat at the same same on hangouts for example

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
Lack of multi window support is most likely what's gonna keep me from buying N6. There's simply no point in such screen size (phone) otherwise. At the very least they should do something similar to iPhone 6+ (added landscape features).

My scenario? I'd use it daily for at least 5 hours. Currently I'm running a live chat app (traders ) and my Ameritrade app. It's PITA to switch back and forth and I always wonder what information I might not be seeing.

At this age, it's a must feature on a stock Android

itinj6

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Lack of multi window support is most likely what's gonna keep me from buying N6. There's simply no point in such screen size (phone) otherwise. At the very least they should do something similar to iPhone 6+ (added landscape features).

My scenario? I'd use it daily for at least 5 hours. Currently I'm running a live chat app (traders ) and my Ameritrade app. It's PITA to switch back and forth and I always wonder what information I might not be seeing.

At this age, it's a must feature on a stock Android

A large screen is definitely good for watching videos.

I did download an app called Ultimate Rotation Control that allows you to rotate any screen to landscape, including the home screen. You can also control each app to work independently of the universal setting and they can be locked as well. Widgets included:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...ps/details?id=nl.fameit.rotate&token=YWAv0Wyo

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Really don't understand the TouchWiz hate, at least give them credit for what they do right. Android back in Gingerbread days was an awful mess and oem skins were needed for a complete OS.

I know people who use Note as a productivity tool, multi window, capturing with S-Pen etc. It works great! Do you think its easy to engineer all that?

I don't care for some of the lag TW introduces or its look, but I'm not going to bash it just for that. Samsung invented the phablet and Google are riding their coattails like every other oem.

Back on topic, there were some leaks about Google's concept for multiwindowing, who knows when it will ever get added to Android. Its true a big release like L should have something to support that huge screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mallory Knocks