Nexus 6: $649.99

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the price is fine. You're paying a premium price for a premium phone.

A Nexus doesn't have to be cheap. The Nexus One wasn't. Same for the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus.

Plus, if I was HTC, LG, or Samsung, I'd be pissed if Google continued to undercut a similar phone that I'm trying to sell.

Posted via Android Central App (Moto X)

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
The price makes perfect sense. Top of the line everything in terms of hardware, and arguably the best software as well. The N5 was cheaper because there were some obvious corners being cut. This does not appear to do any of that.

And it isn't the first time a Nexus is $650 off contract. Only difference is this time it's actually fantastic hardware :D

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
HTC Nexus One = HTC Incredible

Samsung Nexus S = Samsung Galaxy S

Samsung Galaxy Nexus = ? (Samsung Galaxy S2?)

LG Nexus 4 = LG Optimus G

LG Nexus 5 = LG G2

Doesn't look like the Nexus 6 has a pair at Moto, though it does look like a Moto X. The insides are different, thus more expensive R&D.

You want a good device cheaper than $650? Get the Moto X.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I think the price is fine. You're paying a premium price for a premium phone.

A Nexus doesn't have to be cheap. The Nexus One wasn't. Same for the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus.

Plus, if I was HTC, LG, or Samsung, I'd be pissed if Google continued to undercut a similar phone that I'm trying to sell.

Exactly my sentiment.

It's a premium device in every respect. There's no reason why we should expect it to be half the price of other premium flagships. And it's not like they're charging an excessive amount either. It still works out the same, or even a little cheaper than other flagships out there.

And if $650 is too high for you, it'll be available on plans with carriers anyway.

People complaining because they're used to two years of cheap Nexus phones and now all of a sudden one is priced normally, and they don't want to pay that.

If you don't want to pay that much, that's fine, you don't have to. There are plenty of Android devices out there and there's still the Nexus 5 at the Play Store.

Eden Xu

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
plan w/ carrier turns out to be more expensive than off contract price... can't believe most people still think contract is the way to go. I agree the device is nice, but the camera and battery still could be improved to justify the price increase.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
plan w/ carrier turns out to be more expensive than off contract price... can't believe most people still think contract is the way to go. I agree the device is nice, but the camera and battery still could be improved to justify the price increase.

I think it's a lot easier for people to dish out $50-$200 upfront and go on a contract than it is to dish out $650+ for a phone outright.

Also, it depends on what plan you have and how much you're paying to determine whether it's cheaper to buy outright or buy on a plan. If you're on an $80 plan (like I am) and fork out $650 for a phone, then you'll be worse off than the person who paid $50 upfront (which is what I believe the Nexus 6 will be on AT&T?) and then the $80 monthly charge or whatever.

Agree with you about the camera and battery. This Nexus seems like a (finally) zero-compromise phone. Other Nexus devices were good, but I had issues with battery performance, camera quality, speakers, etc. This one seems to dispel all issues the previous phones had.

13mp, f2.0 camera with OIS - Sounds excellent
Dual front facing speakers - Great
3,220 mah battery - With Android Lollipop, should be solid battery life

Also comes with a nice metal band around the phone, 1440p AMOLED screen which critics seem to love and DisplayMate have rated as one of the best (if not the best) screens. Then of course it has the beastly Snapdragon 805 with 3gb ram.

Just sounds like a monster of a phone in all respects. On paper I really cant criticise anything about the phone, except that the physical size of the device might be too big for some. But if you're comfortable with that, I think it's really hard to pick a flaw with the Nexus 6.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
plan w/ carrier turns out to be more expensive than off contract price... can't believe most people still think contract is the way to go.

I have no reason to leave Verizon, so why wouldn't I sign a contract? My plan is only $60/month for 2GB of data, which I never exceed, and unlimited calls/texts. And that includes a subsidized phone.

Other people might have reasons for me to leave Verizon, but I have no reason to leave.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I don't see what the $649.99 price has to do with the carriers.

drathos

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
I don't see what the $649.99 price has to do with the carriers.

Take a look at the "off contract" price quoted for all those $200-$300 (on contract) phones they sell.

The thing that really says it to me is seeing the $649 price for the Nexus 6 right next to the $399 price for the Nexus 9.

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
HTC Nexus One = HTC Incredible

Samsung Nexus S = Samsung Galaxy S

Samsung Galaxy Nexus = ? (Samsung Galaxy S2?)

LG Nexus 4 = LG Optimus G

LG Nexus 5 = LG G2

Doesn't look like the Nexus 6 has a pair at Moto, though it does look like a Moto X. The insides are different, thus more expensive R&D.

Your wrong. nexus one = htc desire :) before htc stole the "One"

infinity12402

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Idk how people can keep using the battery and camera as a negative, when not one person has any reviews or real world testing on either. We know nothing about how long the battery lasts, or of they fixed the camera. So how can that be a negative already?

Posted via Android Central App

Kaido

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Google Nexus 6 Greedy Google! How could you?

Flagship pricing for a flagship phone? What has this world come to. :':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)':)'(

Jarvis73

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Greedy Google! How could you?

The real world they're a business. Sure after being used to cheaper phones they've stepped up. Samsung or Apple aren't gonna sell cheap phones why would Google. Sure it's not fair but it's life

BizzyGeek

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I get your point. I really don't understand all of the people whinging about prices on the new devices either.

It's clear that this new strategy of putting out a true cutting edge specced flagship level device accomplishes several objectives for Google.

First, they probably made such a concession regarding Nexus pricing as part of their deal with Samsung and other OEMs. This is probably why there's still a Nexus and no Android silver.

But more importantly, the upmarket positioning and pricing shift leaves some margin for carrier and retail partners to actually want to sell the device and to devote promotional resources to that end. And that's going to result in significant sales.

Stronger sales of nexus devices is a good thing for all of us in the long run. If more people choose a stock Android experience, maybe we'll finally see more Google experience devices with swift and reliable Android OS version updates and less crappy skins coming from OEMs in the future.

A guy can dream anyway.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: Greedy Google! How could you?

Disappointed in the pricing from a "My Wallet" and based off the N4, N5 and even the N7 pricing..... but at the same time I can't complain.... At least on paper and from the pictures it looks to be a very well made and premium device..... compared to other like smart phones it's actually still priced very competitively and actually cheaper dollar for dollar and spec for spec..... My plan all along was to unload my Nexus 5 & 7 with a phablet device... I was going to wait on the Note 4 until the rumors started on a Shamu sized Nexus coming out... Glad I waited and didn't preorder a Note 4....

drathos

Feb 19, 2010
Visit site
So you are comparing a price of a WIFI-only device to a LTE enabled device.

Makes sense....

So, you're saying that enabling an LTE radio will cost $250 or more?

Another point that's been raised elsewhere is that VZW quoted the retail price of the Galaxy Nexus as $649 when they sold it for $299 on contract, but when it showed up on the Play Store, it was $399.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site

The Moto X is a good option. I think you can get a 32 GB Pure Edition for about $550.

In any case, people really need to set up their own "Nexus" savings fund. They should put aside some money every month towards a new phone so when October rolls around, they'll be ready to buy Google's latest flagship.