Switching from S23 ultra to P8P?

BinuJeff

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
So I have the Galaxy S23U and moved to the Pixel 8 Pro when it came out then went back to the Galaxy S23U.

The Galaxy has much better battery life, faster, better reception, less buggy and if you play games - is much better for that. It basically has a far superior processor and modem which leads to a bunch of improvements across the board. It also has a more versatile camera in that it has an additional lense which can do more things with it, plus video recording is better on the Galaxy. The UI is much more customisable as well in that you can change basically anything you want and with Good Lock, it takes customisation to pretty crazy levels.

I do prefer the Pixel camera if you're pulling out the phone, snapping a picture and putting it away, but that isn't enough to overcome the plethora of issues I've have with it. I'm just constantly concerned about battery and reception. If I'm out on 5G, the battery tanks, sometimes I'll lose connectivity and so Google wallet won't work at my train station for me to swipe past the gates, so I have to use my travel card. Never had an issue with that on the S23U.

Also, from what I've been reading, the Galaxy S24Ultra is supposed to be titanium? If that's the case, it should be lighter than the S23Ultra?

But give the Pixel a shot. You might really enjoy it far more than your S23Ultra, so it'll be the better pick for you.
I am a PC gamer, on smartphone I am not a gamer so I don't need the fastest processor, coming from oneplus, Samsung's UI is irritating me, if sammy was not doing very good deals when launching new Ultras I wouldn't have lasted 3 years with them. But this time I want to go lighter and without sammy limitations, the rumors are saying the S24U will be only 1 or 2gm lighter than s23u.
As long as samsung is not letting us increase fonts in the statusbar and still using an akward double tap to open x, I will try either Pixel phone or Oneplus 12

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I am a PC gamer, on smartphone I am not a gamer so I don't need the fastest processor, coming from oneplus, Samsung's UI is irritating me, if sammy was not doing very good deals when launching new Ultras I wouldn't have lasted 3 years with them. But this time I want to go lighter and without sammy limitations, the rumors are saying the S24U will be only 1 or 2gm lighter than s23u.
As long as samsung is not letting us increase fonts in the statusbar and still using an akward double tap to open x, I will try either Pixel phone or Oneplus 12
If those things don't matter, then sure, try the Pixel. Battery life and reception is worse, but if you can put up with that, you might enjoy it.

Reactions: BinuJeff

BinuJeff

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
If those things don't matter, then sure, try the Pixel. Battery life and reception is worse, but if you can put up with that, you might enjoy it.
The S23U is the king of battery on Android it's hard to beat it, though from the latest review I saw the P8P is not that bad, perhaps as good as the S22U.
None smartphone is perfect
Early Snapdragon gen 3 testers are reporting heating and worse battery than gen 2 due to excessive power, if it's true then the S24U won't be as good as S23U in terms of battery

Beachboy63

Nov 28, 2017
Visit site
The S23U is the king of battery on Android it's hard to beat it, though from the latest review I saw the P8P is not that bad, perhaps as good as the S22U.
None smartphone is perfect
Early Snapdragon gen 3 testers are reporting heating and worse battery than gen 2 due to excessive power, if it's true then the S24U won't be as good as S23U in terms of battery
I have both the S23U and P8P. For my usage, the S23U does have better battery life. But the battery life on my P8P is still pretty good and I've always easily made it through a full day on a single charge. I just typically end the day with more battery left in the tank using the S23U.

Reactions: BinuJeff

BinuJeff

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
For some reason I experienced more eye fatigue and strain quicker on the Pixel 7 pro than on my S23 ultra.
I saw the notebookcheck reviews of both P8P and S23U, unfortunately both phones tend to have average pwm that could provoke eyes strain with some people. Looks like only the Oneplus 12 will have a better pwm

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
It all depends on why you chose a Samsung phone in the first place.

If it was for the “features” some folks don’t seem to do well with non-Samsung phones.

For me, you couldn't give me a Samsung phone.

BinuJeff

Nov 29, 2023
Visit site
I'm really tempted to try out the pixel 8 pro. I currently have s23 ultra unlocked on TMobile. How's the pixel December update going for y'all?
I switched to the P8P
I am really enjoying it
-It's lighter
-It's more ergonomic in hand thanks to the rounded corners and more manageable width
-UI is super smooth, like if the screen was much more snappy with touch response
-Camera is excellent, I also prefer 5x zoom over both 3x and 10x.
-Battery is great, really great, just only 5 to 7% less in the end of the day compared to the king of android battery 2023 aka the S23U, which is very impressive. Don't listen to paid by samsung/apple influencers who said that battery is weak
-Charging time is also another good surprise, I don't see a difference with the charging time my ex s23u needed, at most 4 minutes difference. Note that I am using a Samsung 65w charger with 5A cable, I didn't try with a 30 or 45w charger.
-I also liked many things in the UI like the possibility to increase the statusbar width when changing fonts size
-Personally I prefer the customisation on P8P, yes you have perhaps less AOD choices but the ones available are great and much simpler to set compared to the more complex goodluck app.
-Speakers are great once you apply a good equaliser like the one in Musicolet
-Android Auto in my car is much louder now, samsung was capping the volume which is irritating sometimes when you want to hear a song you love in full volume
In the end for my usage and taste I much preferred the P8P over samsung s23u. I am not missing any gimmick (from my point of view) app that was on the s23u

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I went from a Pixel 4 XL to an S22+ and am now back to the 8 Pro. I only reason I went to a Samsung was for the flat screen, but I was happy to get back to a Pixel. The Samsung UI has a few things I like but having both Samsung and Google apps on your phone was so annoying. I guess I could've only used the Samsung version of Phone, Calendar, etc., but I prefer the Google version. You also have 2 app stores which is overkill. Samsung also has so much bloat that's always running which you can't disable! I was constantly force stopping Samsung apps. All in all, I find the Pixel just more simpler to use.
Most things can be uninstalled in adb in 5 min

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm back on my S22+ and will take a look at the S24 line, so maybe I'll look into adb!
That's a first thing I do when I get the phone lol. But I have to be a bit more careful next time. Somehow stock gallery app is missing one small feature that I never used until I needed it, and somehow it wasn't there.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xak47d