Confirmed - no double tap to wake on Nexus 6

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
After so much doubt on this issue, first Wired said it did, then phandroid confirmed it did, then people speculated it really didn't, we finally have word from Google.

First Impressions Of Google's Nexus 6: Really Big, Really Beautiful [Update]

"After some confusion over the seemingly inconsistent tap-to-wake functionality, I reached out to Google for official confirmation and was informed that the Nexus 6 does not include tap-to-wake functionality. It would seem my review unit responded to tap-to-wake simply because of the very slight motion caused by tapping the device, not because it's an actual feature of the device."

So there you go, confirmed by Google. I have to say I'm disappointed by this, since its tap to wake/sleep is a great feature and I love my G2 due to it.

The Nexus 6 does have 'lift to wake' but apparently its not very sensitive (otherwise phone would turn on all the time with any movement) so its not a substitute.

radyoactive

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Still not a deal breaker for me.

It's not clear if the hardware supports it and can be added as an OS update later.

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I find it a very strange decision as L specifically says one of its features is 'double tap to wake if hardware supports it'. And its strange for Google not to include it in their flagship.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
No, not a deal breaker, but I was looking forward to that feature. It would be nice if it could be added later, though.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
not a deal breaker at all.. I honestly didn't see the benefit of this to start with...... I've grown accustom to just picking up the device any time I want to wake it anyway.... Looks like the power button is comfortably placed in the middle right where my thumb would rest anyway.....

Crispy

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Remember how we went from hard keys (4 of them, for search, menu, home, back) on early Android phones, to capacitive, to soft keys. Hw buttons are redundant and can and will break over time. Its much easier to use double tap etc.

anon(826501)

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks God, this knock on knock off the screen broke my former LG G2. This problem was vastly point out at Android Central, XDA, etc. My G2 dies before its first year of use thanks to the knock knock. Then I bought my first Nexus phone, Nexus 5, and just wainting Nexus 6 arrival to Google Play Store or Amazon. I bought my Nexus 5 at Amazon and never a problem with it. I'm not going to buy the Nexus 6 at AT&T cause I don't want bloatware surprises.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

royfripple

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
not a deal breaker at all.. I honestly didn't see the benefit of this to start with...... I've grown accustom to just picking up the device any time I want to wake it anyway.... Looks like the power button is comfortably placed in the middle right where my thumb would rest anyway.....

Where I saw this being really useful was at work with the phone lying back-down on the desk. Obviously, it's not a deal breaker or anything but I feel it really would be much more convenient to be able to just double-tap the screen to read notifications rather than have to reach to the side to hit the power button or pick it up.

Granted, I also recently got a Moto 360 so I don't look at my phone nearly as often as I used to. It's definitely not a deal breaker but I do feel like it would've been a nice value-add feature.

I also don't think it'll be supported later. Lollipop supports tap-to-wake natively so if they are saying it doesn't work, my guess is it doesn't have the hardware to do it. Obviously that's just my opinion but I'd like to think it's based on an educated guess. :)

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Where I saw this being really useful was at work with the phone lying back-down on the desk. Obviously, it's not a deal breaker or anything but I feel it really would be much more convenient to be able to just double-tap the screen to read notifications rather than have to reach to the side to hit the power button or pick it up.

Granted, I also recently got a Moto 360 so I don't look at my phone nearly as often as I used to. It's definitely not a deal breaker but I do feel like it would've been a nice value-add feature.

I also don't think it'll be supported later. Lollipop supports tap-to-wake natively so if they are saying it doesn't work, my guess is it doesn't have the hardware to do it. Obviously that's just my opinion but I'd like to think it's based on an educated guess. :)

Does appear the Nexus 6 will have a similar active display like the Moto X... which would make notifications pop up on your screen without having to actually hit the power button or double tap to wake..... I know on my desk I have my phone on a wireless charger that is tilted up a little towards me so I would see the notifications as they light up....

http://www.droid-life.com/2014/11/0...-display-is-a-very-cool-take-on-moto-display/

royfripple

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Ah yeah, I forgot about the active display (I think it's called Ambient Display in Lollipop?). I think that would pretty much replace tap-to-wake all the times I'd use it.

GreyLike

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
Would Tap Tap App be a substitute for this?
You just place a widget on the screen. Touching it will lock the phone and while unlocking you just need to wave your hand near the screen and it wakes the screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ah yeah, I forgot about the active display (I think it's called Ambient Display in Lollipop?). I think that would pretty much replace tap-to-wake all the times I'd use it.

There was a reviewer who had initially stated that it did have tap-to-wake and then corrected himself indicating it had just been from the phone being rocked a little and the phone coming online thinking it had been picked up.

To me, rocking the phone towards me so I'm actually looking at the screen (and having it turn on) would seem to be just as (if not more) user-friendly as double-tapping the screen.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

yeah kind of a neat feature....... I use the TYLT wireless charger and it's nicely tilted up at a good angel that allows a good view of the phone.... I keep it on silent/vibrate at work but I can always see the little notification light lighting up when something happens.... so having the screen briefly light up with a notification would be pretty cool..... and I know it's designed to only light up certain pixels to save battery.. but being on the wireless charger would make sure I am not really using any battery at all while at work....

deltatko

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
The double tap to wake feature will be sorely miss when I give up my G2 for the Nexsix. I'd had a Note 2 and a Note 3 for quite awhile and had become very used to waking up the phone with the home buttons. When I traded in the Note 2 for the G2, it took no time at all until I was double tapping the Note 3 screen trying to turn it on. It didn't seem like it would be so useful to me at first, but it has truly been a game changer.

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The double tap to wake feature will be sorely miss when I give up my G2 for the Nexsix. I'd had a Note 2 and a Note 3 for quite awhile and had become very used to waking up the phone with the home buttons. When I traded in the Note 2 for the G2, it took no time at all until I was double tapping the Note 3 screen trying to turn it on. It didn't seem like it would be so useful to me at first, but it has truly been a game changer.

I can relate. I've had the note 2 and currently have the note 3. Anyhow I keep my phone upside down in my front pocket. So, I've gotten quite used to hitting the home button as I pull the phone from my pocket. That way the screen is on just as I look at it. That will be missed....

Posted via Android Central App

Mayze

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Someone will develop a custom kernel that will allow it. I have a kernel installed one my N7 that allows double tap or swipe to wake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non