Nexus 6 : Overall signal reception + handoff issues...

integr8d

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
Hey all,

Wanted to get some input on a few things... First, I've read a lot of chatter about the N6's reception (note: I'm an N4, 5 and 6 owner). And a lot of that chatter has been anecdotal. Actually, all of it has. Do anyone know of any website that reviews cell phones that actually puts hard data in its reviews re: radio signal?

So far, I've used a strength meter in all of my devices. What I considered to have the best reception (Galaxy S4) was within 1 or 2 db of my N6 (on T-Mo). Has anyone else 'rated' their N6 radios against other devices?

Next question: The N5 is notorious for having a **** radio. However, I actually drop more calls on my N6 than I ever did on the 5. There's a caveat; I set both to prefer LTE. If I tell my N6 to prefer HSPA+, it does fine. No dropped calls. And I think that what's happening is that the handoff from 4G to 3G is seriously busted on the N6. Can anyone confirm? Will a phone call even survive a handoff from one to the other?

Thx!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Aside from the hardware differences between the devices, carrier technology has a lot to do with how well the reception is between the devices and whether dropped calls are more frequent on one band versus the other.

As for technical reviews on the radio(s), I'm not sure which site may do that. However, there has to be something out there that could provide you with a good review. Let us know what you find.

doubleblack

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I find sometimes my wife's Galaxy Avant gets better signal than my Nexus 6, both on T-Mobile. This dumbfounds me, but I know I don't really have much recourse with manufacturer/carrier.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious about the nexus 6 signal as well. One of my biggest issues with my nexus 5 is the weak cell signal.

Posted via the Android Central App

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I went from the nexus 4 to the Moto X and thought reception would be better but not really. So much for Motorola radios...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non