Nexus 6 camera better than iPhone 6+?!

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I would, on Google + people keep posting nexus 6 and iPhone 6 camera comparisons and usually everyone likes the nexus photos better

Posted via the Android Central App

TraderGary

Trusted Member
Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Everyone thinks there's something magic about an iPhone camera. There isn't. Both iPhone and Nexus cameras use Sony sensors and Sony lenses. The iPhone has stayed with an older 8 megapixel camera and the Nexus 6 went with a newer 13 megapixel camera using a new 6 element Zeiss lens. It's hardly surprising that the Nexus 6 camera is better.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The pictures are pretty close especially in HDR mode but the iPhone 6+ does take quicker pictures and the interface seems easier to use. Having said that, this is by far the best camera I have had on a Nexus and I am pretty happy with it.

Posted via my OnePlus One!

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The pictures are pretty close especially in HDR mode but the iPhone 6+ does take quicker pictures and the interface seems easier to use. Having said that, this is by far the best camera I have had on a Nexus and I am pretty happy with it.

Seeing that you own both, you're well positioned to help clarify this: when you say the iPhone 6+ takes quicker pictures, I would assume it would snap faster when its HDR is off and the Nexus 6's HDR+ is on, but is it also faster when both have that off? Both on?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Seeing that you own both, you're well positioned to help clarify this: when you say the iPhone 6+ takes quicker pictures, I would assume it would snap faster when its HDR is off and the Nexus 6's HDR+ is on, but is it also faster when both have that off? Both on?

Not sure. The iPhone 6+ has auto HDR which means that it uses it sometimes and sometimes it does not; the auto setting figures it out. You only know after it takes the picture, but I am almost certain it takes an HDR picture faster than the Nexus 6. I always had a Lumia phone for pictures because the android (especially Nexus) pictures were so inferior. I sold the Lumia once I got the 6+ and then was thrilled with the Nexus 6 once I bought that. Overall, the are both very strong for phones IMO.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Everyone thinks there's something magic about an iPhone camera. There isn't. Both iPhone and Nexus cameras use Sony sensors and Sony lenses. The iPhone has stayed with an older 8 megapixel camera and the Nexus 6 went with a newer 13 megapixel camera using a new 6 element Zeiss lens. It's hardly surprising that the Nexus 6 camera is better.

I know the Nexus 6 has a 6 element lens but did not know with was a Zeiss lens. Where did you see that? I know many people said it would have one before it came out, but I have not really seen it mentioned after the Nexus 6 launched.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Lol, this post is funny. Nexus 6 owners just want this phone to be so good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, of course - would you expect us to prefer it be less? Or are you an iPhone 6 Plus owner who's in shell shock that iPhones might not be the supreme gold standard that its propaganda machine would have you believe? iPhone 6 Plus has a fantastic camera - nobody is disputing that. But nothing removes bias like a blind test, and it appears that, with over 75% of those polled preferring the images later revealed to be from the Nexus 6, their challenge has been met and succeeded.

It'll be interesting to see the final results from the tournament series of blind tests they're doing, though I already know that the Nexus 6 camera is 'so good' for my purposes and in comparison to others I've tried.

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, of course - would you expect us to prefer it be less? Or are you an iPhone 6 Plus owner who's in shell shock that iPhones might not be the supreme gold standard that its propaganda machine would have you believe? iPhone 6 Plus has a fantastic camera - nobody is disputing that. But nothing removes bias like a blind test, and it appears that, with over 75% of those polled preferring the images later revealed to be from the Nexus 6, their challenge has been met and succeeded.

It'll be interesting to see the final results from the tournament series of blind tests they're doing, though I already know that the Nexus 6 camera is 'so good' for my purposes and in comparison to others I've tried.

No I'd like nexus 6 owners to admit the phone is a mediocre shell for lollipop. Admit that they feel duped by Google and Motorola. Admit that you shouldn't have to change your brightness to 40%, disable push notifications, and turn off lte to get decent battery life. Admit that you're tired of hoping a software update will fix things that should be working before the device was released.

I owned the nexus 6 for almost 2 weeks and everyday that I owned it, I hoped I could deal with the issues but I couldn't. It was the nexus 4 all over again.

I just think nexus 6 owners are attaching themselves to anything that'll justify their purchase.

And yes people are posting photos that look great on Google plus. In the nexus 6 discussion......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
No I'd like nexus 6 owners to admit the phone is a mediocre shell for lollipop. Admit that they feel duped by Google and Motorola. Admit that you shouldn't have to change your brightness to 40%, disable push notifications, and turn off lte to get decent battery life. Admit that you're tired of hoping a software update will fix things that should be working before the device was released.

I owned the nexus 6 for almost 2 weeks and everyday that I owned it, I hoped I could deal with the issues but I couldn't. It was the nexus 4 all over again.

I just think nexus 6 owners are attaching themselves to anything that'll justify their purchase.

And yes people are posting photos that look great on Google plus. In the nexus 6 discussion......

Ok, I'll confess:

Since receiving my Nexus 6 (after what was, admittedly, a painfully long acquisition process), I have zero complaints about the Nexus 6 with Lollipop. While it does not include a 64 bit chip, none were available at time of launch, android software developers aren't moving to developing for a 64 bit chip with any great pace (and won't, likely, for the next couple of years, and there's nothing I've been able to throw mine to give it even a moment of hesitation. I keep my phone generally around 50% because, frankly, much bright than that is too bright for my taste. I don't disable push notifications, have never disabled LTE (my phone is only running on wifi a few hours/day), and my battery makes it through the day with several hours of screen time, browsing, streaming music, without my ever feeling I have to modify my use to meet my battery's capabilities. Initial issues were handled by update, and I did not operate under the delusion that new gear always comes out perfect at release. iPhone, Samsung, you name it, no manufacturer can make that claim. Did I miss anything? Oh, right - no, I definitely wasn't duped in terms of what I received. It's everything I expected (I didn't expect insane life from the battery given its sporting the largest, highest resolution display of any phone on the market, but did get delivery on my expectation of a full day's heavy use without recharge).

Best camera performance from any phone I've used. Best cellular radio on any phone I've ever used. Best overall media experience (best sound, best overall display) I've ever enjoyed. I'd say fastest, but the Nexus 5 is as fast since Lollipop, I've ever used. First smartphone I've owned that fully meets my battery needs for a day without recharge (and anything else, while it would be welcome, is completely unnecessary). Fastest, guaranteed updates of Android OS. A phone that will work on any US carrier I choose. I can live with being attached to those.

I'm going to do you the courtesy of not pointing out the assorted issues and flaws people have complained about with the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus as I feel that sitting in a forum for my phone and bashing a competitor's product is petty, spiteful, and in no way constructive, especially when it's done from a hater mentality and in disregard for evidence. The only thing more pathetic would be to actually go to a forum for a phone I don't (or no longer) own to bash it...

Also, if you meant by your last statement that Nexus 6 photos posted outside of the Nexus discussion don't look great, then what does that say when another product loses a blind test 'camera battle' to photos taken and posted on a site that is widely perceived as being biased towards that competitor?

You indicate that you owned the Nexus 6, and gave it up because you found what was, for you, a better phone. That's great! Glad you enjoy your current phone. But you clearly have no interest in discussing anything but what you wish to assert as flaws in the Nexus 6. I would suggest that if you want anything you post to be taken as anything more than a waste of forum real estate, you should acknowledge facts when presented and not cherry pick items you feel are an issue (especially when the large consensus is that they are not); if not, feel free to go and cherish the strengths and discuss your product, or others you might have future interest in for yourself. Be constructive in your posts (constructive criticsim is fine), and I'm personally glad to have you here. Otherwise, feel free to leave - your presence is not needed.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I would not admit any of what you posted. I have an OPO, iPhone 6+ and Nexus 6. They are all very capable and the best trio of phones I have had in a long time (I usually keep 3 at a time). My Nexus 6 is very capable and I have not had any issues with the things you discuss. All three devices I own have had a few issues when new. My 6+ would not even connect to my car Bluetooth until the 2nd update as I recall.

Such is the life of an early adopter but this is clearly the best nexus ever at least in my experience. No need to justify my purchase, as I received it December 5th and Google is giving me till January 9th to return it. If I was not satisfied, I would surely get my $754 back!

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I'll confess:

Since receiving my Nexus 6 (after what was, admittedly, a painfully long acquisition process), I have zero complaints about the Nexus 6 with Lollipop. While it does not include a 64 bit chip, none were available at time of launch, android software developers aren't moving to developing for a 64 bit chip with any great pace (and won't, likely, for the next couple of years, and there's nothing I've been able to throw mine to give it even a moment of hesitation. I keep my phone generally around 50% because, frankly, much bright than that is too bright for my taste. I don't disable push notifications, have never disabled LTE (my phone is only running on wifi a few hours/day), and my battery makes it through the day with several hours of screen time, browsing, streaming music, without my ever feeling I have to modify my use to meet my battery's capabilities. Initial issues were handled by update, and I did not operate under the delusion that new gear always comes out perfect at release. iPhone, Samsung, you name it, no manufacturer can make that claim. Did I miss anything? Oh, right - no, I definitely wasn't duped in terms of what I received. It's everything I expected (I didn't expect insane life from the battery given its sporting the largest, highest resolution display of any phone on the market, but did get delivery on my expectation of a full day's heavy use without recharge).

Best camera performance from any phone I've used. Best cellular radio on any phone I've ever used. Best overall media experience (best sound, best overall display) I've ever enjoyed. I'd say fastest, but the Nexus 5 is as fast since Lollipop, I've ever used. First smartphone I've owned that fully meets my battery needs for a day without recharge (and anything else, while it would be welcome, is completely unnecessary). Fastest, guaranteed updates of Android OS. A phone that will work on any US carrier I choose. I can live with being attached to those.

I'm going to do you the courtesy of not pointing out the assorted issues and flaws people have complained about with the iPhone 6 / 6 Plus as I feel that sitting in a forum for my phone and bashing a competitor's product is petty, spiteful, and in no way constructive, especially when it's done from a hater mentality and in disregard for evidence. The only thing more pathetic would be to actually go to a forum for a phone I don't (or no longer) own to bash it...

Also, if you meant by your last statement that Nexus 6 photos posted outside of the Nexus discussion don't look great, then what does that say when another product loses a blind test 'camera battle' to photos taken and posted on a site that is widely perceived as being biased towards that competitor?

You indicate that you owned the Nexus 6, and gave it up because you found what was, for you, a better phone. That's great! Glad you enjoy your current phone. But you clearly have no interest in discussing anything but what you wish to assert as flaws in the Nexus 6. I would suggest that if you want anything you post to be taken as anything more than a waste of forum real estate, you should acknowledge facts when presented and not cherry pick items you feel are an issue (especially when the large consensus is that they are not); if not, feel free to go and cherish the strengths and discuss your product, or others you might have future interest in for yourself. Be constructive in your posts (constructive criticsim is fine), and I'm personally glad to have you here. Otherwise, feel free to leave - your presence is not needed.

Never said there weren't issues with the iPhone. I browse all forums and I'm allowed discuss to all devices, not just the devices I own.

I point out issues and you call it bashing. I didn't realize forums were a place to only discuss good things. Good luck with crap.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Never said there weren't issues with the iPhone. I browse all forums and I'm allowed discuss to all devices, not just the devices I own.

I point out issues and you call it bashing. I didn't realize forums were a place to only discuss good things. Good luck with crap.

Nexus 6 owners just want this phone to be so good.

Hard to infer anything other than you feel it can't be argued it is.

the phone is a mediocre shell for lollipop. Admit that they feel duped by Google and Motorola. Admit that you shouldn't have to change your brightness to 40%, disable push notifications, and turn off lte to get decent battery life. Admit that you're tired of hoping a software update will fix things that should be working before the device was released.
----

Your primary complaint in most posts appears to battery life, and while you don't specifically indicate it in this thread, in others you've made it in reference to the iPhone 6 Plus. But you consistently leave out points such as that the Nexus 6 offers a far more detailed screen, with a .5" larger screen with over 77% more pixels displayed (and driven by the battery) than that on the iPhone 6 Plus - or, if you prefer, a 1.3" larger screen with over 268% more pixels displayed (and driven by the battery) than that on the iPhone 6. Context is everything. If you fail to give context and assert an opinion without providing the relevant points, I can only construe that you are not wishing to make an objective point, but rather to push an agenda. That's bashing, in my book.

Blind test results dispute your camera claim, yet you persist with those claims and continue to fail to provide anything to controvert those results in support of that claim. That's bashing in my book.

A forum isn't a place to discuss only good things. It's a place to discuss things, both strengths and weaknesses, objectively. And to have any meaning, when relative terms are used, those relative strengths/weaknesses need to be specific as to what other device they are being compared, and in consideration of differentiating factors that contribute. To do otherwise, depending on the nature of the post, is generally categorizable as bashing, trolling, cult idolization, or simply ignorance.

AlfieBriggs

Jun 19, 2014
Visit site
The thing about the iPhone is that the image processing is so superior to the competition.

Posted via my amazing Note 4 paired with my Moto360

cozzy123

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Lol I have my phone at 40 percent with adaptive brightness on. Not because of battery concerns but because when I set it higher the brightness becomes too intrusive to my taste.

I just got this phone and I'm loving it. Only thing I could critique is there should have been a smaller version to give people options.

If I'm being really nit picky there are times when the animations can be smoother. I use a live background so not sure if that is what is causing it.

Can't comment on battery yet since the phone is too new. It's definitely better than my old phone!

Yeah and if I stopped using a phone because I didn't like it I wouldn't be found in that phone forum any longer. Waste of my time, no?

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to go back to the fact that the Nexus 6 camera is the preferred shooter over the supposed 'best in class' iPhone 6+ camera.

Though, I don't know what I enjoy more... the fact that the Nexus 6 won, or the Apple apologists on the pate trying to explain off the results.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Trolling - Do not post inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages to provoke users into responding in a negative way. Calling another member a troll is also a form of trolling. Trolling is also trolling. Please don't troll. Cleaned some stuff up.

Come on, you guys know better. Productive, respectful comments that share ideas = good; #hate = bad.

Thanks.

vaughaag

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site
I own both the Nexus and the 6+. IMO both perform on par with one another in good to decent light. The Nexus starts lagging when the light drops producing noisier images with some focus hunting.

This said when you download the pictures and viewed on a larger screen, the noise is less notable.

Video wise, the Nexus wins hands down with the 4k resolution and colour reproduction, the stabilisation and focus can let it down in lower light but overall its video files are much smoother than the iPhone.

Where the Nexus falls short IMO is the camera app. When you open the app, there is a pause of anything up to 2 seconds before you can snap a picture. On the iPhone it loads pretty instantaneously. I have tried several camera apps now and found the stock app to be the fastest so far but that 1-2 seconds is often the difference in capturing the shot or not.

If anyone wants some example shots uploaded I'm happy to take some controlled pictures and post them as well as a video showing the app lag.

Posted via the Android Central App on Nexus 6