Why are most android phone camera terrible for every day photos?

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have for many years had both an iDevice and a droid that I swtich between, in the early years I did favour the iPhone but over the last few years I have barely used the iPhone. More recently though I find myself leaning back toward Apple and it is not because I prefer iOS (I really do not) but more that all of the android devices out there seem to fall short in areas that I find frustrating and camera has become a big one.

To be clear Android devices have amazing camera hardware, quality sensors, impressive zooms, they tick every box on paper. For stuff that does not move they are great and as most YouTubers focus on these kind of photos they review very strongly. My issue though is that most of my every day photos are of my kids or my pets and often in mixed or lowish light and other than the Pixel I have not found a droid I can trust to take consistently sharp photos. Samsung are especially bad in this regard but OnePlus and Oppo are not much better. The Huawei cameras are very good but there are just too many hoops to jump through there.

So just buy a Pixel I hear you say, well I have but it has other compromises in that 128gb is not quite enough storage without some culling and I'd also like a slightly larger display too. What I would like is Note 20 ultra/S21 plus/ultra hardware with the Google camera smarts and OnePlus's OS! Too much to ask? I guess each year I find it really frustrating that I have to pick my compromise.

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
One of the main reason I use Android is that I can customize stuffs. Currently I'm using a Xiaomi phone, didn't like the MIUI so I installed Pixel Experience ROM which is like stock android with some little customization here and there. Also installed a Gcam and now it takes better photos than before. Most importantly this ROM is more stable than that MIUI.

If you are not into this, maybe you can try OnePlus 8 pro? It has a big display, Oxygen OS and you can install Gcam fairly easily it seems.

These days I'm also starting to lean towards iPhones, specially the base models. It's just that I depend a lot on Google apps/services and other FOSS and don't want to switch ecosystems.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I have tried various GCAM apks across various devices and so far none of them are anywhere near the Pixel experience (would not expect them to be) and mostly seem worse than the stock camera for most scenarios.

I have used the OnePlus 7 and 8 pro, comparable to the Note in all honesty but not on par with a Pixel or iPhone for people and pet photos.

ptkelly

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
"Why are most android phone camera terrible for every day photos?"

They aren't. I've been enjoying taking photos since 1962 and I've always had to made accommodations for the equipment. I have been astounded at how fast digital photography, and especially smartphone photography, has advanced.

Over the years I've had Pixels, A Xiaomi, a Huawei, and now a Sony and I've had a great time taking photos with all of them.

I don't know how to rotate the attached photo.

Attachments

• 20210204_112037.jpg
    20210204_112037.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
My issue though is that most of my every day photos are of my kids or my pets and often in mixed or lowish light and other than the Pixel I have not found a droid I can trust to take consistently sharp photos.

This is the bane of every camera ever made when you let the camera do all the thinking.

You are looking at moving subjects in low light, AKA sports photography. The trick here is to tell the camera that is what you are doing. Unfortunately, most cell phone camera software does not have that level of options.

If your camera does have a "sports" or "action" mode, great. Pick that option in the UI. For everyone else, you may need to go into manual exposure mode to pick the desired fast shutter speed to freeze the action, then greatly increase the ISO levels to get a correct exposure.

Suggested shutter speeds to experiment with:
walking adults = 1/125 second
running children = 1/250
high school sports = 1/500 to 1/1000

The down side to the increased ISO levels is digital noise in the photos. However, this can be fixed in post processing while motion blur cannot be fixed.

This all assumes that you cannot increase the amount of light available to you, which is the best solution.

The other catch to blurry photos is focus. For moving subjects you need a "continuous" focus mode. Many of the newer phones have this as an option. Often times you will need to tap on the screen to select your subject so that the camera software knows which object to be tracking.

onewomanarmy

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm also interested in getting better photos - to be honest, that's probably the bulk of what my camera is used for other than keeping up with what's going on in the world. Like many, no longer have a dedicated camera, so this is where all memories go to be preserved. I'd love to know if there is any quick reference re smartphone photos and different situations that you guys would recommend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174