Anyone having such battery problems?

bcyeah

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Had my nexus 6 directly from google play store for 2 months now, and I start to notice the battery drains fairly quickly, without me actually using it that much.
I've been following the battery saving tips such as turning on airplane mode when signal is weak, having screen brightness set to auto, and keeping the % between 50 and 80 for max battery life. But the battery still drains like crazy, and most of the battery drain came from the OS itself it seems, I have attached the screenshots.

What am I doing wrong...?
Screenshot_2015-02-17-16-49-35.jpg
Screenshot_2015-02-17-16-50-02.jpg
Screenshot_2015-02-17-16-50-11.jpg

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
First I would say don't charge over USB. It is a rather inefficient way to charge devices.
Use the only supplied wall charger, fill it up, try not to let it get below 40‰ and see how it does.
Just my $.02

Mav. :cool:

Sent from my Sprint Tri-Band Nexus 6.

bcyeah

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
First I would say don't charge over USB. It is a rather inefficient way to charge devices.
Use the only supplied wall charger, fill it up, try not to let it get below 40‰ and see how it does.
Just my $.02

Thanks for the info. Although when searching on battery tips, some mentioned fast charging generates excessive amount of heat (which it does), which deteriorates battery life... that's why I only use the wall charger when I need to pump juicy quickly... Is this not the case anymore?

VW Maverick

Retired Ambassador
Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info. Although when searching on battery tips, some mentioned fast charging generates excessive amount of heat (which it does), which deteriorates battery life... that's why I only use the wall charger when I need to pump juicy quickly... Is this not the case anymore?

Not so much.
Yes, some heat is generated but battery technology has got to the point that it does not hurt it as much as it used to.
Try and charge the battery with the wall unit while you are not using it. Less heat will be created.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Try and charge the battery with the wall unit while you are not using it. Less heat will be created.

I am being more liberal with the Turbo Charger because I've found that the phone reaches the mid 90s at most, and once the charge hits 60% it drops as the speed of charging also slows at that point.

Spallboy

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
Just my $.02

I've heard this before about not letting it below 40%, what's the reasoning behind it if I can ask?
Sorry for taking it slightly off topic

Squashed under a N6

bcyeah

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Am I missing something? It looks like you were at 50% charge after nearly 24 hours. Then, after recharging to 75%, you used 40% in the next 16 hours. Seems more than reasonable to me given that you did use the screen for over 2 hours (ie, it wasn't simply on standby the whole time).

Well I wasn't really using the phone that much, as you can probably see from the first screenshot... aside from screen, it was OS, System, standby and Idel that took > 30% of the battery... that's what made me worried....

bcyeah

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
Not so much.
Yes, some heat is generated but battery technology has got to the point that it does not hurt it as much as it used to.

Ok I will start using the wall charger more often, the USB is indeed way too slow....

bcyeah

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I've heard this before about not letting it below 40%, what's the reasoning behind it if I can ask?
Sorry for taking it slightly off topic

Squashed under a N6

(From my recollection of google searches) I *think* it's because of charge cycles, once you dropped below 50 or 40%, it uses up more cycles which in turn drains battery life faster.

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
(From my recollection of google searches) I *think* it's because of charge cycles, once you dropped below 50 or 40%, it uses up more cycles which in turn drains battery life faster.

So on the front end you actually have 50-60% of your battery capacity because you're trying to avoid it dipping below these numbers?

On the back end your battery drains faster after X number of charging cycles?

Seems like a lose lose

My work here is done

ray sital

Feb 23, 2014
Visit site
Had my nexus 6 directly from google play store for 2 months now, and I start to notice the battery drains fairly quickly, without me actually using it that much.
I've been following the battery saving tips such as turning on airplane mode when signal is weak, having screen brightness set to auto, and keeping the % between 50 and 80 for max battery life. But the battery still drains like crazy, and most of the battery drain came from the OS itself it seems, I have attached the screenshots.

What am I doing wrong...?
View attachment 164377
View attachment 164378
View attachment 164379

I had this issue but the update fixed it. I'm assuming you've already updated.

My only suggestion is a reset, might not be the best idea though.

My work here is done

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
So on the front end you actually have 50-60% of your battery capacity because you're trying to avoid it dipping below these numbers?

On the back end your battery drains faster after X number of charging cycles?

Seems like a lose lose

My work here is done

This applies to all phone batteries, not just the N6........Batteries have a lifespan measured in charge cycles, and this is an unavoidable consequence of their chemistry.

gmermel

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
aside from screen, it was OS, System, standby and Idel that took > 30% of the battery... that's what made me worried....
It took from midnight to 4 the next afternoon. 30% drop in 16 hours, even if you never picked up the phone, translates to over 50 hours of standby time. I am surprised this worries you.....

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Looks like you started at 100% at about 10pm on 'Day 1,' charged it upwards roughly 23%, from about 45% to about 68%, the evening of 'Day 2,' and were at 37% by about 5pm on 'Day 3.' So basically, if we assume the gauge is linear in that 'x' amount of use would discharge the same percentage whether your battery is at a relatively high or low capacity (not including battery saving mode, which you phone would not have engaged), then we can extrapolate that it would have taken about 40 hours to go from 100% to 14% with 2h40m of screen time (that's after subtracting both the gained charge and time spent charging).

I'd say you can rest very confidently in its ability to last you a day, and would suggest you take on the habit of charging it nightly (OEM charger would certainly fully charge it overnight, but I wouldn't be surprised if a USB charger would manage it as well) since it doesn't appear it would stretch to two days of use between charges.

Morq

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I have had a pretty decent life on my nexus but it changed recently o.o
Lost 30% via 9h long night when phone wasnt really doing anything.
And now, been using it for like 30-40minutes, and its down to 70ish percent saying that Facebook and Chrome each used 4% of battery, and screen 3%... thats just wierd lol