Dbrand skins on Nexus 6.. remove stock back cover or apply ontop of stock cover?

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
So I got the mahogany skin for my Nexus 6.. the video shows it applying directly to the stock back cover, but doing so creates a lifted lip that just isn't very pleasant to the touch. It's not smooth and because it's lifted, it's gathering quite a bit of lint from my pocket.. has anyone removed the stock nexus 6 cover(the blue or white cover) and installed the skin directly on the back of the chassis?

I'm debating pulling the skin off my cover and applying it directly to the back of the device.. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

nothinbutnexus

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Vinyl skins are not near thick enough to be used as replacement back, it would look horrible and offer very little protection to the exposed innards of the phone. Slickwraps is in the midst of developing a replacement back that can be used with their real leather/wood/cork skins, you might want to check out that option when it becomes available.

Mrrikki

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
Do not do that, put it over the existing back or you will regret it due to thickness differences etc.

Posted via my Nexus 6.

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I don't think you have it positioned perfectly. I recently removed my Carbon Fiber Dbrand skin and replaced it with the Mahogany Dbrand skin and being careful and using a couple tries was able to match it up perfectly both times. As a matter of fact I did not even need to apply the extra "M" logo they send with the back skin because it aligned perfectly. I have not had lip or edge problems with either one. I like that they give you a 3M sheet to help apply it.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
So I got the mahogany skin for my Nexus 6.. the video shows it applying directly to the stock back cover, but doing so creates a lifted lip that just isn't very pleasant to the touch. It's not smooth and because it's lifted, it's gathering quite a bit of lint from my pocket.. has anyone removed the stock nexus 6 cover(the blue or white cover) and installed the skin directly on the back of the chassis?

I'm debating pulling the skin off my cover and applying it directly to the back of the device.. Any thoughts?
There is absolutely no way removing the back and putting the decal on is a good option. For one.. the back cover of the Nexus 6 isn't meant or made to be removed. You're best bet if you're unhappy about your results would be to eat the costs and buy a Dbrand decal that works for your device. You can try buying a clear TPU case and see if that alleviates your problem with your present decal. You can buy them online for as low as $2.50.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
There is absolutely no way removing the back and putting the decal on is a good option. For one.. the back cover of the Nexus 6 isn't meant or made to be removed. You're best bet if you're unhappy about your results would be to eat the costs and buy a Dbrand decal that works for your device. You can try buying a clear TPU case and see if that alleviates your problem with your present decal. You can buy them online for as low as $2.50.

I found out whats happening. The stock back cover is actually lifting off in the center on both sides so it's causing the actual dbrand sticker to appear higher than normal. I can press it back down and that gap eliminates for a few minutes until it slowly lifts off again. I believe the glue that is holding the stock cover down is failing..

Seems I'm not the only one,

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-6/475775-nexus-6-back-cover-unstuck.html

http://www.reddit.com/r/nexus6/comments/2reysb/back_cover_and_lifting/

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
yup...Now you got a whole nother can of worms, hopefully its not too much trouble for you to get it exchanged out, you may be able to get the Dbrand folk to send you a replacement skin as well if you let em know the circumstances.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I found out whats happening. The stock back cover is actually lifting off in the center on both sides so it's causing the actual dbrand sticker to appear higher than normal. I can press it back down and that gap eliminates for a few minutes until it slowly lifts off again. I believe the glue that is holding the stock cover down is failing..

Seems I'm not the only one,

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-6/475775-nexus-6-back-cover-unstuck.html

Back cover and lifting... : nexus6

Yeah.. I have read in these forums about that. Do you have insurance? That will cover it otherwise you will have to contact Motorola. Your carrier might be able to help you as well.

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you have it positioned perfectly. I recently removed my Carbon Fiber Dbrand skin and replaced it with the Mahogany Dbrand skin and being careful and using a couple tries was able to match it up perfectly both times. As a matter of fact I did not even need to apply the extra "M" logo they send with the back skin because it aligned perfectly. I have not had lip or edge problems with either one. I like that they give you a 3M sheet to help apply it.

Can you upload some pics of your N6 with the skin on it? I recently bought a couple from Dbrand - I live in the UK so they are taking their time to get here :)

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Here are a couple of shots, not very good though. I noticed that in one you can see the skin is slightly keystoned. you can see it at the tip in the middle of the "M." Very minor though in my opinion. Pictures also don't do justice to how well the Nexus and M lettering shine through. Skin fits pretty well, mic and camera holes are fine.
IMG_20150317_113023.jpgIMG_20150317_113044.jpgIMG_20150317_113053.jpgIMG_20150317_113131.jpg

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Here's mine.. the middle image shows the lift on the stock cover with the dbrand skin attached, and the bottom is me pressing it down eliminating the gap.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 139898.jpg
    139898.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 139899.jpg
    139899.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 139900.jpg
    139900.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 21

pdaniel219

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
Here's mine.. the middle image shows the lift on the stock cover with the dbrand skin attached, and the bottom is me pressing it down eliminating the gap.

Posted via the Android Central App

Take it back to your carrier or contact Motorola. They are replacing devices that are having this problem.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devboilol