Carrier Specific T-Mobile Lollipop 5.1 Version

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
So what does it mean? I didn't wait either... Won't we get an update or the ability to flash the carrier specific one via xda?

Posted via the Android Central App

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
This must be a special build to enable T-Mobile's WiFi calling when it becomes available. Still waiting for it for my wife's N6. Sometimes it pays to not get in a hurry.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
So what does it mean? I didn't wait either... Won't we get an update or the ability to flash the carrier specific one via xda?

I only sideloaded. Don't know a thing about flashing. But I doubt I'll be able to sideload to this from my current 5.1D version.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
No. Why would you want to go back to 5.0.1? 5.1 is a much improved version. If it's to get on the 'M' build, what makes you think you can't go straight from the 'D' build to the 'M' build? I'm thinking you can.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

Ask Dez at T-Mobile did say the 5.1 update would include WiFi Calling and band 12, 700 mhz access so I am going to guess that is what the update will include vs the others????? but I am only speculating... I've just been waiting for the official release instead of side loading... My Nexus 6 runs great so I've been in no major hurry to update...

BlueGoldAce

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Ask Dez at T-Mobile did say the 5.1 update would include WiFi Calling and band 12, 700 mhz access so I am going to guess that is what the update will include vs the others????? but I am only speculating... I've just been waiting for the official release instead of side loading... My Nexus 6 runs great so I've been in no major hurry to update...

WiFi calling is suppose to come later and separately.

I don't see why one couldn't side load the tmobile ota, even they already updated to 5.1.

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I don't see why one couldn't side load the tmobile ota, even they already updated to 5.1.

I was under the impression in order to sideload without flashing or wiping device, you could only jump up from previous firmware. Like from 5.0.1 to 5.1. I could be wrong, as I'm pretty new to this.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Yes, WiFi calling will definitely be separate, but the 'M' version must be preparation for it.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

you could side load it if you had the actual file to side load.... which if someone has it on their phone it either won't be long before they start rolling it out OTA or someone has it online as a zip file to download......

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
How hard would it have been for Google to identify which update applies to each carrier, instead of just releasing different updates without any information? There's been so much discussion back and forth about "d" versus "e." And now there's "m."

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
How hard would it have been for Google to identify which update applies to each carrier, instead of just releasing different updates without any information? There's been so much discussion back and forth about "d" versus "e." And now there's "m."

Google probably just releases the raw straight from the factory file and then the carriers add there little touches.. although I though I had read that 5.1 had some special carrier software that could be manipulated based off the SIM/Carrier you were on which would negate the need for carrier specific builds??? I thought they said that would allow you to switch to another carrier and based on the SIM the carrier would be able to alter the software slightly to optimize for that network????

I've stopped short of side loading because my Nexus 6 works great as is and out of rear that these Google builds would not include the 700 mhz band 12 T-Mobile says is coming.... I would assume if you side loaded "E" that when the "M" build came out via OTA that being on T-Mobile the phone would prompt you to update to the latest build???? or just later on you could side load "M" I guess???

Debian Dog

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Because there are none. As the versions rollout some of them will have specific code that is for a specific carrier that doesn't mean when another version comes out that it drops the code.

So for instance between D and E they optimized for Verizon but they also improved the camera so just because it's not specific your provider it doesn't mean you shouldn't load it.

Now is it in a corporation's best interests to push a update out just for a small camera update when nothing else for their network is being updated? NO. is it worth it for you? everyone has a different answer.

Sent from my Nexus 6

NastyNeil

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
@askdes on twitter is saying that even though some have updated already that there will be an OTA for those people as well to get M.

radicchio

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Because there are none. As the versions rollout some of them will have specific code that is for a specific carrier that doesn't mean when another version comes out that it drops the code.

So for instance between D and E they optimized for Verizon but they also improved the camera so just because it's not specific your provider it doesn't mean you shouldn't load it.

Now is it in a corporation's best interests to push a update out just for a small camera update when nothing else for their network is being updated? NO. is it worth it for you? everyone has a different answer.

Sent from my Nexus 6

Now I'm totally confused. I've read elsewhere that "M" is specifically for T-Mobile, and there continues to be a lively discussion about the difference between "D" and "E," with some contending that "E" is optimized for Verizon. Of course, it doesn't make sense since the N6 was designed to be interchangeable among various carriers. But what do I know?