(bootloader) Is the warranty void: yes on new Nexus 6 (help)?

A

AC Question

(bootloader) iswarrantyvoid: yes on new Nexus 6 (help)

So I just got my Nexus 6... phone said there was an update to 5.1.. So I said, yes install.
While instelling it gave me an error, after rebooting I get into a boot loop (checking apps boot loop).

So I connected to the adb stuff with fastboot. I wasn't planning to unlock or try anything with the phone as I already contacted the shop for warranty. I was checking the logs etc and did "fastboot getvar all"

It says:

(bootloader) unlocked: no
(bootloader) iswarrantyvoid: yes

Warranty voided on a new device? Does it trigger when you get into the recovery menu and wipe cache/data? Cause I tried to do that to fix the problem.

Many thanks...

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: (bootloader) iswarrantyvoid: yes on new Nexus 6 (help)

Wiping cache and data shouldn't unlock the bootloader or void the warranty. A bad update flash could, though.

Jessestr

Jul 24, 2015
Visit site
Sadly I didn't do all of that. I followed the steps from the shop to wipe the cache (they suggested it). Luckily I can switch it today one-to-one for a new one.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I'd have to check around, but I have a feeling that the official factory OTA might toggle the lock on the bootloader while it does its thing. So if the update puked on its shoes in the middle of the process, it may very well end up leaving it unlocked. Though, if WE unlock the bootloader, it pretty much wipes the entire device which the OTA does not. Google must know a super secret password to unlock without wipe if that's the case.

No worries, though. If your bootloader is truly unlocked, then you can just use it to your advantage and just flash the most up to date factory image for your carrier and then move on like nothing happened. You can even re-lock the bootloader if you want.

Oh, since you are in there with adb and fastboot, you could always flash that image without wiping your user data first (just do a google it, its simple). It might work, it might not... but it is still worth a shot. Worst case is that it your user data got corrupted and you just reflash with a userdata wipe and move one from there.

Don't worry though. It is actually pretty difficult to permanently screw up a Nexus device. They can take a pretty good beating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biggles