Would you leave the Nexus??

tuneself

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site
I've used lots of different Android phones, and from my personal experience Google's devices with the "raw" kind of Android are the best regarding the UX. Some manufacturers (Samsung, Huawei, etc.) are making a lot of customization in the UI (and platform as well sometimes) and it always gets only worse. I've been using Nexus 5 for about 2 years already, and also have different mobile devices as I happen to work in mobile dev field, and nothing can beat Nexus so far (including iPhones, by the way - at least for me the user experience is still much better with Nexus 5).

Lumpy53

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
I will be ditching my Nexus 6 next week! Worse phone I have owned. It spent most of the last year in a drawer and I used my Nexus 5. I must have gotten a lemon compared with most peoples experience here. Battery life sucks, has gotten laggy and my usb port was installed crooked and plug tends to fall out when in the car holder. Going to a Note 5 next.

danielson2047

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
If the battery claims of 17 hours of video on full brightness are true of the S7, I may be switching to that....but I'll always own a nexus on the side at least. I like to tinker.

Posted via the Android Central App

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Not me. The only smart phones I have ever owned are Nexus phones. I started with the Nexus S, then the Galaxy Nexus, then the 4, the 5, and now the 6. I also have a Nexus 7 (2013). I think I'll stick with them.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I have always bought phones running plain vanilla Android since starting out with the original G1 running Android v1.0, even if I intended to root the phone. There was a lone exception, a HTC which I couldn't resist but turned out to be a mistake.

I will never buy anything but plain vanilla Android devices again. Which means very likely only a Nexus.

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
I love the nexus phones and have owned most of them over the years but right now i am choosing the note 5 over the 6p as i use my phone as my primary computing device at home away from my pc at work. and i love multiwindow it is the sole reason why i choose the note 5 over 6p we shall see what N brings or if an update changes that. frankly i dont see the point in having such a large screen if i cant do anything extra with it. samsung has had multi window running and even lg now as well so i really dont know what the excuse is google please i know this feature was burried in the settings if you rooted but please make it a mainstream feature.

rasmith1959

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I started out using various Samsung model Android phones, then got a Galaxy Nexus when I switched to Verizon. Love the pure Android experience, and the ease in rooting the device. Then when it was time for an upgrade, I made mistake and switched to an iPhone. It was ok, but I missed the ability to customize the device to my liking, I also missed having widgets as well.

Last Christmas, Santa left me a nice gift, a Nexus 6! So now I'm back on a Nexus device and it's very doubtful that I'll eve use anything else.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I love my N6. But, this Huawei Mate 8 is taking my eye, in champagne Gold 128GB memory.

If you have never used a Huawei device before, I stress caution. :) Going from a Nexus to a Huawei phone running EMUI can be a little bit jarring. Phil did a review of the Mate 8 here, take it to heart. I don't own a Mate, but I own a Honor 5X, and while its a great phone to play with and, well, phones... I think the interface and overall look and feel would wear on me if I had to run it as my daily driver.

ljfong

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As much as I am annoyed with the removal of Qi wireless charging starting with Nexus 5X/6P, I would never leave Nexus for pure Google Android experience and the guaranteed availability of factory images for DIY update in case of OTA unavailability for whatever reason (AT&T - I am talking about you).

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I have left it many times for many different phones. I have been a nexus user sense the Nexus S or Galaxy Nexus whichever was first. I always come back everytime.
I'm the same. Have owned all of them with the exception of the first one. My favorite smartphone of all time was the Nexus S. I come back to the Nexus because Android has made its stock version very attractive and intuitive.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm the same. Have owned all of them with the exception of the first one. My favorite smartphone of all time was the Nexus S. I come back to the Nexus because Android has made its stock version very attractive and intuitive.
Very Well Said!

As you mentioned, Stock Android has become so fluid, feature rich, and intuitive, that it would be difficult for me to go back to a 'skinned' phone, with an OS like HTC Sense.

Personally the Nexus 6 is the first Nexus phone that I have owned (previously I had only owned HTC devices), and I have to say that I have been VERY Impressed with the Nexus 6!

QWIKSTRIKE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Coming from the Nexus 5 to the Nexus 6 was all about the screen size for me. I almost went with the Note 4. My only problem with Nexus is the lack of continuity in size. There is a rumor that the Next Nexus will be 5.2-5.5", and if they decrease the size to 5.5 this year I will leave for a Note 6". I like screen size, and software updates but now with technology progression 3 years seems to be max phone ownership for me any way since carrier bandwidth antenna can only be ugraded with hardware. Sprint seems to have CA bandwidth about to expand, and LTE 5 is rumored top be tested by carriers so technology will force upgrades to be able to use it you need new hardware.

I owned thew Galaxy S3, and can tolerate TW for the screen size and Note features. I really hope Google keeps a larger Nexus as opposed to decreasing the screen size.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Coming from the Nexus 5 to the Nexus 6 was all about the screen size for me. I almost went with the Note 4. My only problem with Nexus is the lack of continuity in size. There is a rumor that the Next Nexus will be 5.2-5.5", and if they decrease the size to 5.5 this year I will leave for a Note 6".
I'll be right behind you, as soon as my N6s stop taking calls.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Coming from the Nexus 5 to the Nexus 6 was all about the screen size for me. I almost went with the Note 4. My only problem with Nexus is the lack of continuity in size. There is a rumor that the Next Nexus will be 5.2-5.5", and if they decrease the size to 5.5 this year I will leave for a Note 6". I like screen size, and software updates but now with technology progression 3 years seems to be max phone ownership for me any way since carrier bandwidth antenna can only be ugraded with hardware. Sprint seems to have CA bandwidth about to expand, and LTE 5 is rumored top be tested by carriers so technology will force upgrades to be able to use it you need new hardware.

I owned thew Galaxy S3, and can tolerate TW for the screen size and Note features. I really hope Google keeps a larger Nexus as opposed to decreasing the screen size.
I can understand wanting the bigger screen size. I love the size of my Nexus 6. I hope that they continue with at least something in the realm of 6 inches.

nunjabusiness

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I have to echo the "size matters" sentiment. That was one of the two motivating factors in buying this (the other was the Google updates and moddability.)
I was seriously looking at the Samsung Galaxy Mega with its 6.3" screen, but the res was so crappy I passed. Ended up paying less for the N6 than I would have for the Mega, too!

My next phone will definitely be a phablet of 6 inches or more.
7 seems a bit too large, but my hands could manage a 6.3 or 6.4 if that is what comes.
Hopefully it will be a Nexus.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I can understand wanting the bigger screen size. I love the size of my Nexus 6. I hope that they continue with at least something in the realm of 6 inches.

Hard to say... I think going with the current approach: high end larger screen with a mid-range 5" option is the way to go.

But what could get me away from Nexus?

Move to a mostly stock experience... Moto has(had?) the right approach. Fast updates - days, not weeks/months. Easy access to factory images, unlocked bootloaders, etc.. Basically if an OEM starts making a Nexus device in all but name only. I got my wife an S7, and there's no way I would want to have to use something like that every day. There are still bits in there that would drive me nuts on a regular basis. And the same can be said for pretty much every other OEM... as I mentioned, the only non-Nexus phones that I've used that didn't annoy me are the cheapie Moto E and Moto Gs that I got my two kids for little WiFi devices. But with Lenovo pretty much ripping Moto apart at the seams...