Android 4.1 Bluetooth Keyboard / Nexus 7 Specific BT Keyboard

Rogger383

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
FYI - i go the foldable Freedom Pro BT keyboard to work, but did need the drivers from Freedom.

This looked like a good keyboard till I read this part of the first review:

Amazon.com: Freedom Pro Bluetooth Keyboard: Computers & Accessories

As a systems administrator, programmer, and MUD/MUCK player, there is a significant difference between an ASCII quote and double quote and the Unicode quotes that this keyboard sends. This keyboard is therefore completely and utterly useless to me because I cannot quote items in a command line when SSH'd into a box, I cannot quote strings in a bit of programming code, and when I'm connected to a MUD or MUCK, my quotes and double quotes get dropped entirely since the servers expect and can handle only ASCII characters.

Anyone know if this is fixed; or another good keyboard that doesn't have this problem? I spend my life in a shell; this would be a deal breaker for me as well.

lochmox

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
is anyone getting a portable BT keyboard for nexus 7? I was thinking of getting a case that also has keyboard but the thought was very unappealing.

Its my first time looking for a bluetooth keyboard for my tablet so i have no idea which companies are good/bad at making those.

lostmarine

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site
The Logitech Bluetooth keyboard has the best reviews I have seen for Androids haven't heard anything about the Nexus 7 in particular. I know one big thing about the Logitech is the backspace button works where on most others it acts as delete not backspace.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

markyoung04

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I have been using the Logitech Tablet Keyboard on my Nexus 7 and it is awesome. The backspace is backspace unless you hit FN then delete, the arrow keys essentially let you use the tablet like a laptop. I have TabeltTalk on at work (send, receive, sync text messages on tablet via WiFi or Bluetooth best ever), and us my Logitech keyboard on that all day long.

model #Y-R0021

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Motorola KZ500 BT keyboard on Woot for $35. It has Android specific buttons, looks and works great. Has a hide-a-way trackpad even.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
don't think they'll release an official one, since not many people would use keyboard cases on a 7" device. I have this $9 case and it works fine for me bc I don't have enormous hands. my typing accuracy is pretty decent considering, esp. when I type faster. you have to mod it though, to make it more stable. I removed the junky metal prongs and superglued a TPU case on. Was a little difficult to put the N7 in and out of the TPU case, but over time it stretched out so it pops out just fine. Very secure, but a little bulky (though, it's heavily padded so drops won't cause damage).

since I don't like to carry more bulk than necessary, I haven't gotten a separate bluetooth keyboard. I hope technology for thin/flexible keyboards improves, because all the ones on amazon have terrible reviews.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
don't think they'll release an official one, since not many people would use keyboards on a 7" device--and you wouldn't really need an N7-specific keyboard unless it was a keyboard case. someone recommended this case in a separate forum, but it doesn't have any user reviews or pics, and the keyboard is probably no more than 8"x3".

since I don't like to carry more bulk than necessary, I haven't gotten a separate bluetooth keyboard. I hope technology for thin/flexible keyboards improves, because all the ones on amazon have terrible reviews.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa