Poetic Smart Cover case (similar to iPad style)

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I received mine today. It does not appear to sleep with the lid folded back. However the top cover is not centered properly. It is too far toward the top so it hangs over about 1/4", whereas the bottom has no overlap. Ideally you'd rather have the overlap at the bottom for extra port protection.

I hate returning stuff so I'm not sure I'll bother with that, especially for such a low price item.

poetic.jpg

Last edited:

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm too used to 2-day shipping from Amazon Prime & Shoprunner... my cover shipped the 24th (friday), and is expected between tomorrow & tuesday. That's 4-6 business days (since monday is a holiday), which isn't horrible, but it feels like forever... :p

PthPndr

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Just got this email. Guess third time will be the charm.
---------------------------------------------------------
This is an update regarding your recent order for the Poetic Slimline Nexus 7 case. Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that we have discovered a new manufacturing defect in our entire second batch of cases. (This may be the replacements we have sent out to you) In an attempt to fix the excessively strong magnet on the backside of the case, a piece of iron was inserted to block out the magnetism when the case is folded back. Although this has solved the problem of putting the Nexus 7 to sleep when the cover is folded all the way back, it added too much weight to the front cover. As a result, the front cover is not able to magnetically hold itself to the case to keep it closed. We are currently working on this issue in our third and final batch of these cases. We will not send them until we have inspected every factor on this case. However, due to the fact that we are making sure there will absolutely be no defects on the final version of these cases, they will not be available until 9/13/2012 to ship out. (They will be sent out free of charge) You can also keep the defective cases while you wait for the final version. The new cases will have also remedied the issue of the cover not being able to be folded all the way back as this was a popular feature many of our customers have expressed to us. We sincerely apologize of all of the inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know.

Although I like the idea that the new cover will allow the lid to fold all the way back!

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I received mine today. It does not appear to sleep with the lid folded back. However the top cover is not centered properly. It is too far toward the top so it hangs over about 1/4", whereas the bottom has no overlap. Ideally you'd rather have the overlap at the bottom for extra port protection.

I hate returning stuff so I'm not sure I'll bother with that, especially for such a low price item.

Click to view quoted image

It turns out I don't have to worry about returning it. The one I received at the office today was the defective one, even though it worked just fine.
When I got home I found another package which apparently is the replacement. Both of them arrived in the mail today. That is excellent customer service. And yes, the edges do seem to line up properly on this one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ironspider

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I got my updated case. It can be folded back without putting it to sleep. The craftsmanship issue has been resolved as well. No glue. There is a slight "overbite" on the top, but it is not an issue. I also like the fact that it does not fold back flat because my left hand feels comfortable cradling the inclined cover in portrait position. It is kind of hard to describe, but those that have the case probably get it.

Nevertheless, I am excited about the third batch that another poster mentioned. I hope i get it for free. As for the detective case, I cut off the cover and will use the back as a shell

Dubbayoo

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It turns out I don't have to worry about returning it. The one I received at the office today was the defective one, even though it worked just fine.
When I got home I found another package which apparently is the replacement. Both of them arrived in the mail today. That is excellent customer service. And yes, the edges do seem to line up properly on this one.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Apparently I need to read this thread closer. So Case 1 goes to sleep if you fold it a certain way (though not always for me) and doesn't line up evenly. Case 2 has a heavier lid and doesn't close properly.

Then I received the email about Case 3. I will likely get another Nexus for the gf and give her one of the first two cases. All in all I'm pleased with their attention to this issue; very impressive.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I received my lot 2 case today, and am fairly pleased with it. I've also found a way to easily modify it to get it closer to folding flat on the back. Knowing a lot 3 case should be coming my way helped me feel bold enough to take a knife to the case. I simply took a box knife and made two short cuts at the hinge (see image, cut where the red line is at both ends of the hinge).

It gets closer to folding flat, held back only by the shape of the plastic inside the hinge area (this would be an easy manufacturing change to just make the floppy fabric-y part of the hinge deeper). It can actually fold flat with a little force, but it won't quite lay flat.

And of course, I'm not responsible if you screw up your case.

Reactions: etnpnys

Ivanamanation#IM

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I received mine today, which was the 2nd botched batch. But I am not disappointed at all. The only issue I have is that it doesn't fold all the way back, but its not really annoying, to tell the truth. Maybe because I know I'm getting a second one for free? Not sure. But I'm satisfied. It doesn't have that ugly black tape looking strip on the inside as well.

It fits the Nexus perfectly and doesn't add on an real bulk at all. I would go for it. If you need something to protect you N7 from the elements, I'd say this is perfect. Get one

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

kdskinner

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ordered mine and got it about 3 weeks ago. Seems as if they have corrected all the problems you folks were complaining about. It folds back, it props up, the magnet works like it is supposed to and doesn't effect the screen when it is folded back flat but turns the screen on and off properly when it is closed to the front like it is supposed to. Wonderful case, would buy again, 5 stars.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Ordered mine and got it about 3 weeks ago. Seems as if they have corrected all the problems you folks were complaining about. It folds back, it props up, the magnet works like it is supposed to and doesn't effect the screen when it is folded back flat but turns the screen on and off properly when it is closed to the front like it is supposed to. Wonderful case, would buy again, 5 stars.

Err... The first batch of these didn't ship until 2 weeks ago, on 8/20, and it had the magnet flaw. The second batch didn't ship until the end of that week, and Poetic revealed new flaws in that case.

So I guess congratulations are in order for your receiving the 3rd iteration of the case a week before the first was available to ship, and 2 weeks before the need for a second revision was determined.

:confused:

I've looked all up and down the Play store offerings, and can't find that time travel app anywhere! Oh wait, Apple must have used it to manage their portfolio of infringement suits...

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

Can you get us a pic of the cover folded flat to the back?

dajack761

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
so is it safe to order this yet or are they still defective?

I would wait for now. The last email said they were shipping the most resent version, correct magnet setup and fold flat ability, on 9/13/2012. Check for reviews after that date and look for pictures.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

etnpnys

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I ordered mine over the weekend from Amazon.com - it specifically says that it has the fold-flat ability, new magnet, etc etc and it is estimating that it will show up around the 20th.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Considering no one is getting "stuck" with a defective unit, but instead are getting free replacements, I don't see much need to wait on ordering, unless you need something quickly. It's a very good case, and with the fold-flat cover, will be terrific.

Heck, I wouldn't even call mine from the 2nd batch "defective". I have no issues with the magnet, it does sleep/wake perfectly. The only thing I could complain about is the lack of fold-flat, about which they could've just as easily said "that's the design, deal with it." The fact that they didn't and are revising and shipping out replacements speaks highly of the company (though I imagine they're getting these made cheap overseas, and still come out ahead after shipping a couple, maybe even 3 of them. lol)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89