Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default Which USB OTG cable fits perfectly on Nexus 7 32gb

Went to find usb otg cable at Amazon and I was amazed at the comments
    about cable not fitting properly. That micro usb end that goes to tablet was
    too long, and shouldnt be pushed in too hard.
    Most were shipped from China.
    Does anybody have a link where they bought a cable that fits perfectly?
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Which USB OTG cable fits perfectly on Nexus 7 32gb

Don't know which country you are in, I'm in the UK and bought THIS one from Amazon. I've not had any problems at all and just about all the reviews are good from N7 owners.
    Thanked by 2:

I bought this cable from eBay for the very reasons you stated.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micro-USB-5-...-/140822658253

I found this based on what one of the Amazon reviewers wrote in his review of one of the cheap cables that he was dissatisfied with. Yes, this eBay cable is $2 more, but I didn't feel like dealing with a reorder if I happened to get some cheaper one with too long or short of a plug. I also could have ordered three cheap ones in case some didn't fit, but then the price would have been about the same as buying the more expensive one that seemed to have a good reputation.

This eBay version is well made and fits perfectly. It arrived within a few days, having shipped from Northern California, which is also where I'm located. I'm happy I went this route, and would buy it again if I needed another.

By the way, good question to bring up,especially as you stated it regarding mixed reviews for cheap cables.
    Thanked by 5:

im on my 3rd OTG now. the first OTG started having problems after a lil while, must have been pressure from the weight of the usb drive cos it was always curved down when in use. i had to hold it straight or curved upwards to get it to work. the secnd OTG's pin was too long, still working but i wasnt too keen on that so i got a third one. the third one is an adapter so no bent cable. will see how long that will last. All in all, i would say handle OTGs with care.

Appreciate the e-bay link as I was quite reserved in buying unless it was the right one and without issues. Just placed my order in fact. Anxious for its arrival now.

Quote Originally Posted by shona001 View Post
    Don't know which country you are in, I'm in the UK and bought THIS one from Amazon. I've not had any problems at all and just about all the reviews are good from N7 owners.
    Yep, in my basket too. I'm thinking with one of the micro flash drives, potential strain on the micro USB socket will be minimised. Something like this, which for 15 ($24) will double the capacity on my N7:

SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive- Includes: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Minkey1 View Post
    Yep, in my basket too. I'm thinking with one of the micro flash drives, potential strain on the micro USB socket will be minimised. Something like this, which for 15 ($24) will double the capacity on my N7:

SanDisk 32GB Cruzer Fit USB Flash Drive- Includes: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
    I've only got the 8gb N7, given to me as a present so not complaining, I bought this 64GB flash and have all my films, music, documents etc on that which leaves plenty of storage on my N7 for apps, games etc.
    SanDisk Cruzer 64GB USB Flash Drive: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Went ahead and ordered it from Ebay link you provided. $2 for peace of mind that it will work and fit properly
    is well worth it. Thanks
    MJKearney likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by comandoed View Post
    Went ahead and ordered it from Ebay link you provided. $2 for peace of mind that it will work and fit properly
    is well worth it. Thanks
    Hopefully my experience will be replicated for you! Let us know about your experience once you receive the cable.

I find this place is the best for cables, unlike Ebay which is hit or miss whether a cable will work. I always use Monoprice. Their shipping is fast.
    For only $1.29 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Micro USB OTG Adapter | MHL Adapters
    No, you can buy just one, not 50.
    Thanked by:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    Hopefully my experience will be replicated for you! Let us know about your experience once you receive the cable.
    Yup. Received it a few days ago. Fits just fine. Tested it with a flash drive and works fine too.
    Glad I paid the extra two bucks.

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

I agree with you on Monoprice. Usually my shipping is more than the cable if I don't group purchases

Have been using them for a few years.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I found one on DealExteme outta Hong Kong that had a coil cable... works fine with a couple of thumb drives.

Global Posts
    5,141 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I have one from my Moto Xoom days, that I never got around to using because I didn't keep the Xoom. Go figure Verizon is the masters of ruining even the most simple of things.

Quote Originally Posted by MJKearney View Post
    I bought this cable from eBay for the very reasons you stated.

Micro USB 5 Pin OTG Host Cable for Asus Google Nexus Tablet 7 7" New | eBay

I found this based on what one of the Amazon reviewers wrote in his review of one of the cheap cables that he was dissatisfied with. Yes, this eBay cable is $2 more, but I didn't feel like dealing with a reorder if I happened to get some cheaper one with too long or short of a plug. I also could have ordered three cheap ones in case some didn't fit, but then the price would have been about the same as buying the more expensive one that seemed to have a good reputation.

This eBay version is well made and fits perfectly. It arrived within a few days, having shipped from Northern California, which is also where I'm located. I'm happy I went this route, and would buy it again if I needed another.

By the way, good question to bring up,especially as you stated it regarding mixed reviews for cheap cables.
    Does that cable fit with the tablet in a case? I have the Asus case and want one that will work with the tablet still in the case.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    CM 9.1

I bought these Micro USB On-The-Go Host OTG Adapter (Pair) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    56 out of 58 reviews were 4 and 5 stars (Mostly 5 star reviews)
    Hopefully they work well.

I also bought a tiny 16gb flash drive from amazon on cyber monday for $9

I think the combination of the small otg adapter and small flash drive will be awesome!

Edit: Wow sorry for the huge pics.
    Thanked by:

ALL of the OTG cables/adapters I have purchased so far work fine. Here are a couple of pics of some in use with various connections.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Which USB OTG cable fits perfectly on Nexus 7 32gb-p1000900_small.jpg   Which USB OTG cable fits perfectly on Nexus 7 32gb-p1000868_small.jpg  

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

ROM
    ThundeRom v1.6.2 @ 806mhz

Can anyone that has the monoprice adapters comment on the fitment when used with a case?

Are there any of these OTG's that have the 90 degree pointing in the other direction? I was thinking this would be a great solution for streaming movies or something but if its pointing up (?) wouldn't that defeat the purpose? This is all taking into consideration mine will be in a case that only allows it to be propped up in landscape with the volume buttons up, which again, by the look of angles would mean all the OTG's linked will be dangling there hung over twisting on the micro usb port rather than hanging down nicely with any weight resting on the tabletop.
    Thanked by:

Depends on the case?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mootpoint View Post
    Are there any of these OTG's that have the 90 degree pointing in the other direction? I was thinking this would be a great solution for streaming movies or something but if its pointing up (?) wouldn't that defeat the purpose? This is all taking into consideration mine will be in a case that only allows it to be propped up in landscape with the volume buttons up, which again, by the look of angles would mean all the OTG's linked will be dangling there hung over twisting on the micro usb port rather than hanging down nicely with any weight resting on the tabletop.
    these kind - some follks report they work - for the price you can try it and see

Pair Left Right 90D Angled Micro USB B Male to USB Female Host OTG Adapter | eBay

bigtroutz,

Can you please tell me what that device is on your second picture where you have the tablet and other USB devices plugged into. It looks like something that I will need.

Tks.

Quote Originally Posted by xender69 View Post
    bigtroutz,

Can you please tell me what that device is on your second picture where you have the tablet and other USB devices plugged into. It looks like something that I will need.

Tks.
    That is an unpowered 3 port hub + universal Flash Memory reader adapter. Cost 4 bux or so from amazon. I got mine from BestUSA or something but here is one that looks similar

Amazon.com: Neewer 3 Port USB 2.0 Hub TF Micro SD MS M2 Memory Card Reader: Electronics

If you are going to use external USB devices or hard drives for long periods, you should purchase a powered hub so they don't suck the N7 battery dry too fast. I have this one and it works well.

Amazon.com: Plugable 7 Port High Speed USB 2.0 Hub with 3A Power Adapter: Electronics

Cool Re: Which USB OTG cable fits perfectly on Nexus 10 tablet

im new at this thing but i got to say thanks this is a great website i got the otg cable at.... fry's..... here in los angeles an it work very well i use the ....zeikos sd/mmc high speed adapter... with a 32 samsung high speed sd card..... i din't need a flash drive...so if you have an sd card adapter you're good to go. also you got to buy the app from google((((nexus media importer)))) it cost les then 3 dollars
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast