Hard to believe but the Nexus 7 dock is even worse than the Nexus 4 wireless charging orb

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Just got the official Nexus 7 dock in the mail today, and I can get it to charge, but if a mouse farts anywhere in my house, it loses the connection with the pogo pins. Forget trying to actually use the touch screen while it's docked, unless you pretend your finger is a feather. Even by some miracle it doesn't stop charging almost immediately after docked, audio sometimes plays only through one speaker, and sometimes not at all.

Anyone else with similar problems?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Just got the official Nexus 7 dock in the mail today, and I can get it to charge, but if a mouse farts anywhere in my house, it loses the connection with the pogo pins. Forget trying to actually use the touch screen while it's docked, unless you pretend your finger is a feather. Even by some miracle it doesn't stop charging almost immediately after docked, audio sometimes plays only through one speaker, and sometimes not at all.

Anyone else with similar problems?

I've had no issues with mine; I'd have them warranty replace yours with all of those issues it sounds like you got a bad one.

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Check out this video (I can't link to a specific time apparently, so skip to about 4:00):

Nexus 7 Official Dock Review - YouTube

You see at around the 4:43 mark where he barely taps the top of it, and it reconnects. Mine is even more finicky than that. Guess I'll have mine replaced, and hope for the best.

ohmslaw

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I would send it back. My 2 day old doc is fine in all respects. All I've read around the web makes me wonder about QC problems.
I have one suggestion. Clean the contact point on the Nexus and see if it helps. I'd try a damp Q tip with alcohol.

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Update: Just in case anyone happens to come across this thread and having the same issue ...

I noticed that one of the corners on my Nexus 7 was VERY slightly unhinged. Once I snapped it back together, it charges fine now. Still have to press down on it when I place it on the dock, but at least it doesn't stop charging if I breathe on it wrong.

Manuel Scholz

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
I have my Nexus 7 Dock since March 2013 and at the beginning it worked fine. But now I have also the problem with the contact and it sometimes isn't possible to get the Nexus 7 in the dock to charge. Now I have contacted Play Store Support and they only offered me to get me back the money instead of changing the device for me with one which works.

orthonovum

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
I am not the only one with this issue?! Wow...OK mine worked perfect for months and now its super hard to get it to charge. I have to do the touch wiggle press move lean until I can get it to stay but then a slight breeze will ruin it.

Has anyone found a working fix/solution? I don't even think they sell them anymore

vamp464

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Having the same issue with device losing contact seemingly without warning. Have to check it every once in a while. It's a shame, dock feels really sturdy and has that great heft to it. Might have to rubberband the damn thing in from now on.

Joe Melcher

Feb 17, 2015
Visit site
I purchased the dock for my 2012 1st generation since the usb port was wearing out. I connect the dock and nothing happened, I assumed my dock was defective and sent it back. The replacement did nothing as well, I have replaced the usb port eventually since it stopped charging completely. While I had it opened I noticed that there was nothing attached to the pin holes no printed circuit whatsoever. I had previously replaced the digitizer 2x since my daughter had cracked the screen 2x. I kept the old parts and saw nothing in the old parts indicating that they worked with the pin holes. I am at a loss and wondering if this was a manufacturing foul up . Its well out of any warranty and I have repaired it numerous times learning all kinds of neat tips and tricks. I hope someone has an answer for me otherwise this is some weird fluke.