Should I Root my nexus? What I expect to do is mainly....

eBandit21

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Will my warranty be gone if I root it? I dont want that since I just got it and so many have reported issues.

I was mainly going (not for several months and I know it isnt a lemon) add an internal micro SDHC reader. I seen pics where it will fit and am sure all things will be worked out by the time I do it. I can solder just fine and only need to read up on any software I need to use).

I see the Media Importer app says no need to root. So should I root anyway? I will want to use a micro sdhc card here and there via usb otg cable anyway and just not to an internal setup for a bit. Can you mount an micro SDHC card and install games to it with the importer app or would you need other stuff not yet figured out yet to do that?

I do not want to do anymore than I have (test and mess with a couple free apps) until I know if I should root since I would loose it all when I unlocked the bootloader and rooted it.

THANKS to anyone who offers advice. I seriously appreciate it.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I believe you can only read from external storage if not rooted.

I don't believe you can install apps/games to external storage even if you are rooted (I could be wrong about this though, I've never tried).

You can always unlock the bootloader now and not root. This would wipe all of your data now, but you wouldn't have to worry about losing it all at a later date (after you have everything setup the way you like).

Also, these are quite simple to return to stock. If you unlock and root now, and decide later you need to return the unit or send it in for warranty work, you can just restore it to stock and be fine.

Reactions: eBandit21

eBandit21

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Would I need to reverse anything if I only unlock the bootloader and had to warranty it?

I didnt realize the bootloder was the only part that wiped your data, I thought rooting did as well, THANKS :) Guess I will do that tonight maybe or tomorrow. Is this the best advice to use for the bootloader unlock? http://forums.androidcentral.com/nexus-7-rooting-roms-hacks/189900-guide-mac-pc-linux-how-unlock-root-flash-recovery.html
I have seen other methods out there and don't want to mess anything up.

So I guess we need someone to figure out how to make it mount and SD card to be able to install to it?

I just got the 8GB version today. By the way THANKS.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
So I guess we need someone to figure out how to make it mount and SD card to be able to install to it?

I just got the 8GB version today. By the way THANKS.

No, there's several ways already. The StickMount app (requires root) seems to be a popular one. All you need beyond that is an OTG cable and then whatever USB device (thumb drive, card reader) you want to connect to it.

I'm guess I'm not really sure how/why people think that this is a good alternative to getting the 16GB model. I have the 8GB because I felt that would be plenty of storage, and it has been, but the $50 more would have been worth it if it meant I didn't need a usb dongle coming off my device to make it usable. To each his own I guess though. At least with Android you have the option.

There are plenty of threads already in sub-forum on using StickMount.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you only unlock the bootloader, you would want to re-lock it. The guide you linked is the exact method I used to unlock/root my N7. After the first post in that guide, you can stop. If you decide at a later date to root, your data will be fine (though I'd still recommend always having a backup).

And, fyi, that guide also has instructions on how to relock the bootloader. It's all painfully simple.

Most people say rooting will wipe your device for simplicity's sake. If you have a locked bootloader (completely stock, unmolested device), you can't root. So if you're going to root, step one is to unlock (which wipes the data). Hopefully that makes a little sense.

AppleBonker

Dag, yo!
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
No, there's several ways already. The StickMount app (requires root) seems to be a popular one. All you need beyond that is an OTG cable and then whatever USB device (thumb drive, card reader) you want to connect to it.

I think the OP was looking to install apps/games on the external storage. As far as I know, StickMount cannot accomplish this. One can use StickMount to transfer/store media on the external storage, but I don't believe applications can be configured to run on it.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I think the OP was looking to install apps/games on the external storage. As far as I know, StickMount cannot accomplish this. One can use StickMount to transfer/store media on the external storage, but I don't believe applications can be configured to run on it.

Yeah...that won't work to the best of my knowledge...he also wants to add an internal SD card reader by soldering it on. I'm not sure how or if that's even possible. Doubt there's a place in there to solder it to. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

eBandit21

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I wont have any movies, tv shows or music and "think" I am fine with 8GB, besides after coupons I only paid $169 locally for it at Staples. I just want to have the option to have extra storage of I need it later on. I only ever had 2 other tablets and only for about a week each (were both $89 models on sale) so I dont know if I will ever see a couple games I want that are like 700mb each after all is downloaded or something. I would have rather paid $50 for a micro SDHC slot than 8GB extra.

One person already added one and posted pics but hasnt finished hooking up the wires. [Nexus 7]-Adding internal USB for other devices (HUB,microSD,FM,flash-storage,etc...) - xda-developers I am not worried about soldering part I can do that easy. I have a few TINY micro SDHC readers that slide into a USB port and would use one of those as the card slot. I would come off the micro usb port to connect it to.

This is just a maybe cause I may not ever need the extra storage. But love to build stuff although normally I am working with welders, torches, lathe etc... But unless someone figures out how to mount the micro sd card and use it to install onto, then I will not go that far. I will simply use it as external for swapping files.

Thanks everyone, I think I understand what I need to about the bootloader and rooting as far as loosing data and warranty issues.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I wont have any movies, tv shows or music and "think" I am fine with 8GB, besides after coupons I only paid $169 locally for it at Staples. I just want to have the option to have extra storage of I need it later on. I only ever had 2 other tablets and only for about a week each (were both $89 models on sale) so I dont know if I will ever see a couple games I want that are like 700mb each after all is downloaded or something. I would have rather paid $50 for a micro SDHC slot than 8GB extra.

One person already added one and posted pics but hasnt finished hooking up the wires. [Nexus 7]-Adding internal USB for other devices (HUB,microSD,FM,flash-storage,etc...) - xda-developers I am not worried about soldering part I can do that easy. I have a few TINY micro SDHC readers that slide into a USB port and would use one of those as the card slot. I would come off the micro usb port to connect it to.

This is just a maybe cause I may not ever need the extra storage. But love to build stuff although normally I am working with welders, torches, lathe etc... But unless someone figures out how to mount the micro sd card and use it to install onto, then I will not go that far. I will simply use it as external for swapping files.

Thanks everyone, I think I understand what I need to about the bootloader and rooting as far as loosing data and warranty issues.

Interesting approach but reading through that thread it doesn't appear like he's got it working completely yet.
That's a bit too dicey for my tastes though, but the best of luck if you try it! :)

eBandit21

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
I just pointed to that for it fitting. I wont try until I know it is workable as I want it to be and my warranty is at least a few months gone and I feel like I dont have one of the lemon n7's out there. So far I dont see any screen issues or any other issues others have reported. I did think I had a couple ghost screen taps, but I could have bumped with another finger so I cannot say for sure.

Thanks again to all who responded about my main question about rooting and bootloader unlock which I am going to do yet tonight I hope (just unlock bootloader for now)
;)

Only thing I would hate is too see them release a version within the next 6 months that has a micro sdhc reader! (Only cause I would have to sell mine and loose a few bucks so I could buy the new one.) I would rather have 4GB built in and a micro SDHC reader than 16GB at the same price to be honest. Now, had they offered a 32GB version for $50 more than the 8GB, I would have got it.

eBandit21

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
When it says it will wipe your entire tablet of data when doing the bootloader unlock, does that mean the OS as well? Or will I just start out like it was when I first took it out of the box and turned on?

Thanks. I was about to do it but wanted to confirm what I am reading.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I just pointed to that for it fitting. I wont try until I know it is workable as I want it to be and my warranty is at least a few months gone and I feel like I dont have one of the lemon n7's out there. So far I dont see any screen issues or any other issues others have reported. I did think I had a couple ghost screen taps, but I could have bumped with another finger so I cannot say for sure.

Thanks again to all who responded about my main question about rooting and bootloader unlock which I am going to do yet tonight I hope (just unlock bootloader for now)
;)

Only thing I would hate is too see them release a version within the next 6 months that has a micro sdhc reader! (Only cause I would have to sell mine and loose a few bucks so I could buy the new one.) I would rather have 4GB built in and a micro SDHC reader than 16GB at the same price to be honest. Now, had they offered a 32GB version for $50 more than the 8GB, I would have got it.

The trend has been for nexus devices to not have external storage. There are a number of good reasons for that so I wouldn't expect to see one anytime soon.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
When it says it will wipe your entire tablet of data when doing the bootloader unlock, does that mean the OS as well? Or will I just start out like it was when I first took it out of the box and turned on?

Thanks. I was about to do it but wanted to confirm what I am reading.

It returns the device to factory state. So it'll still have the os wipes all the apps and the sdcard.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I see, thanks. I just wasnt sure cause I thought the OS was on the SD card.

Android is broken up into partition
/system/ - OS
/boot/ - boot stuff
/data/ - app data (game data, config etc)
/cache/ - stuff to make stuff happen faster
/sdcard/ - sd card!, photos, music, downloads etc.
/sdcard-ext/ or /sdcard0-1/ if the device has an sdcard slot

correct me guys if I'm wrong here

doing a factory reset wipes /data/ and /cache/ that's why you lose app stuff moving from ROM to ROM if you need to wipe, use Titanium Backup or MyBackupPro to save that to your SD Card first so you can restore that.

installing a rom will overwrite /system/ which is why doing a format /system is recommended first to blow up any data that might have been excluded from the new ROM

unlocking wipes /data/, /cache/ & /sdcard/, for security reasons I believe.

thats how I understand it at least.

Reactions: 2defmouze

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
/system/ - OS
/boot/ - boot stuff

doing a factory reset wipes /data/ and /cache/ that's why you lose app stuff moving from ROM to ROM if you need to wipe, use Titanium Backup or MyBackupPro to save that to your SD Card first so you can restore that.

installing a rom will overwrite /system/ which is why doing a format /system is recommended first to blow up any data that might have been excluded from the new ROM

Sounds accurate to me :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
/system/ - OS
/boot/ - boot stuff

I agree with 2defmouze lol. Sounds good and a good resource!

Sent from my Overly Suspicious Robotic Grouper

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
/system/ - OS
/boot/ - boot stuff

or just this, read up on it after i said all that

Android Partitions Explained: boot, system, recovery, data, cache & misc

way better explanation than my babbling :)

Reactions: 2defmouze

eBandit21

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site

Do I need to backup anything for factory restoring it if I needed to warranty at some point? Or can I just go for it now? When I do the unlock boot-loader and root, I wont need to reset then right? cause doing that will do it anyway?

Do I need to format the system AFTER doing the unlocking of boot-loader and rooting?

THANKS for the info. I guess I need to learn more, I didn't know about the partitions being so new to Android.

"/sdcard-ext/ or /sdcard0-1/ if the device has an sdcard slot" Can you add that partition so you have it should anyone figure out how to mount an SD card via a USB OTG cable? (cause if they do, then I would make it internal myself)

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Do I need to backup anything for factory restoring it if I needed to warranty at some point? Or can I just go for it now? When I do the unlock boot-loader and root, I wont need to reset then right? cause doing that will do it anyway?

Do I need to format the system AFTER doing the unlocking of boot-loader and rooting?

THANKS for the info. I guess I need to learn more, I didn't know about the partitions being so new to Android.

"/sdcard-ext/ or /sdcard0-1/ if the device has an sdcard slot" Can you add that partition so you have it should anyone figure out how to mount an SD card via a USB OTG cable? (cause if they do, then I would make it internal myself)

The restore images have everything you need to send your device back to a stock state, just like before you got it outa the box. They are not used unless you completely screw up something or want an easy way to wipe the device and restore it to stock.

you don't need to reset anything when you unlock, it'll wipe everything for you but won't mess with the system partition so the OS stays.

Someone HAS figured out how to mount external SD cards/usb storage via a USB OTG cable. I'm not sure the partition that StickMount gives it because I haven't tried it. Partitions get mounted and unmounted by the OS you don't need to worry about the name.

I think you need to focus on one thing at a time here, in this order.
Step 1 - Unlock the device
Step 2 - Root the device
Step 3 - custom roms and kernels
Step 4 - hardware mods

Your idea to internally mount an SD Card is interesting but personally I don't think it's realistic. Android on the Nexus 7 doesn't support an external SD card so even if you can get one installed, the OS isn't setup to use it without hacking. That's where StickMount comes in but I'm pretty sure you can't install games to it because the OS isn't gonna look for game data there.

Might be a challenge but I'm not sure it's worth the risk of bricking the device.

just my two cents.