New to roms

Jwhite898

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello all, I would like venture into the rom world but I don't know what to do or where to start. I am rooted of course if anyone can help and what are some good ones to try.

Thanks for your help :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Hello all, I would like venture into the rom world but I don't know what to do or where to start. I am rooted of course if anyone can help and what are some good ones to try.

Thanks for your help :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Bugless Beast is good...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Encerspay45

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
The Kindle Fire HD comes out today, and I was pretty excited but now I saw how to stream Amazon Prime on the Nexus 7!
So, now I'm looking through the custom ROMs.
Is there any ROM out there with Beats Audio or DSP Manager??

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
The Kindle Fire HD comes out today, and I was pretty excited but now I saw how to stream Amazon Prime on the Nexus 7!
So, now I'm looking through the custom ROMs.
Is there any ROM out there with Beats Audio or DSP Manager??

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Android Central Forums

Beats is pretty much just an equalizer. You can achieve the same results using another app.
As time progresses you'll probably see sound hacks in custom kernels but right now kernel dev is still pretty early.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Beats is pretty much just an equalizer. You can achieve the same results using another app.
As time progresses you'll probably see sound hacks in custom kernels but right now kernel dev is still pretty early.

This. And CM10 ROMs include DSP if you desire it, afaik :)

Cubeology

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
What exactly are the advantages of the current ROM's over rooted stock. I get my Nexus tomorrow and want to make the decision to modify it before I start downloading apps and stuff. I have been playing with ROM's on my G2X phone for a long time. I did so because LG''s upgrades and support where behind the curve as well as getting rid of some bloatware and some added functionality. But it seems that with JB the Nexus is up to date and isn't loaded down with a lot of clap. Are any of the current ROM's providing any functionality not already in the stock JB. If so, what? The descriptions on the developers posts tend to be rather limited or cryptic. ROM's also tend to come with their own set of bugs, so I would rather not deal with it unless I am getting added functionality I need or want.

papajonpizza

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
@Cubeology and @OP

I was on the fence for a long time about getting a tablet. I have a Dell Mini 9, which is only 2.24 pounds running Linux Mint Maya (reformatted a couple of weeks ago from Lisa). I'm a huge fan of Google services and Chrome (I was running ChromiumOS for a few months), so when Google came out with the Nexus 7 (partnered with Asus), it was perfect! The right size for me and very light. I have a Dell 1121 Notebook (running Linux Mint Lisa), which is not very convenient for quick email checks, reading news (via google reader), etc.

Anyway, I got the Nexus 7 Jelly Bean which had the "flaw" of being unable to run adobe flash. First thing I did after unboxing was to root it and installed flash and Xscope browser. Realized a few days later that rooting is not needed for installing flash, but it still worked out when I ordered USB OTG cable which required rooting for proper access. Plus, rooting is fun for poking around (using terminal) and executing some commands.

When I got my Nexus 7, the custom ROM's were still alpha and beta releases, so I wasn't gonna risk a stable Nexus 7.

After reading the dmmarck's "Release the Kraken" thread yesterday, I finally dug into the forums and realized the custom ROM's are quite stable now. Looked for suggestions and decided on Paranoid Android.

Wow. Performance is phenomenal! I use the Google Chrome browser a lot so I can share bookmarks and opened tabs from other devices and OS's, and it's not very fast on the Nexus 7 even with the quad-core processor. There is a often a considerable wait, especially on yahoo mail (and other webpages). PA eliminates much of the lags. The customization features make me seem like a kid in a candy store. Wife saw my Nexus 7 (she has a 16GB, rooted but stock ROM) and was complaining to me why I have the clock at the bottom (tablet UI) even when running the game (or any app). She wants it because she loses track of time when she's into her game :) I guess I have a project this weekend.

Sorry about the long post. My point is Nexus 7 is an awesome device (if you're into the Google ecosystem). 1. No rooting, install flash (via sideload) and a different browser. You're good to go. 2. You want to root it for low level access and special apps. That's good, too. 3. You decide to go all the way and install custom ROM's. Well, imvho, it's the best choice :D

BTW, I have a very cheap phone I bought used from eBay, which I use for the hotspot tethering feature ($30/mo T-Mo prepaid plan) so I have internet everywhere (even on the freeway) so my Nexus 7 is fun to take everywhere coz I got internet practically everywhere.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Good posting Papajon. One thing I would recommend is use the N7 for a week or so then root it and install a custom rom, that way you have something to compare it against. Don't load it up as you can spend a few days with different roms and settle on one that fits your needs.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Good posting Papajon. One thing I would recommend is use the N7 for a week or so then root it and install a custom rom, that way you have something to compare it against. Don't load it up as you can spend a few days with different roms and settle on one that fits your needs.

I'd qualify that by saying you should unlock the bootloader right off the bat, because that wipes everything. Once unlocked you can stay stock, don't even need to root if you don't want to, but at least when you chose to its easy and won't wipe anything, and then you can use an app like TiBu to backup all your apps with data for when you want to start the flashing fun :)

A lot of people who don't unlock early are hesitant to later on because it wipes the entire device. But just unlocking the bootloader won't cost you anything, you can stay stock, still receive OTAs, etc.. But it makes your future options much more pain-free.

jeff1304

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok so first of all i followed this video step by step am i ready to start with a custom rom ? also like this guys said what is the best rom out there for someone new to android and tablets. i have a iphone for my primary so this new freedom is interesting lol.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok so first of all i followed this video step by step am i ready to start with a custom rom ? also like this guys said what is the best rom out there for someone new to android and tablets. i have a iphone for my primary so this new freedom is interesting lol.

Don't forget to read the Kraken guide at least once: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ne...se-kraken-rooting-hacking-your-nexus-7-a.html

You should be good to dive in though if you followed the unlocking vid and have a custom recovery flashed. There are other threads on what the "best" ROM is, and it's always going to be kind of a subjective question. My quick 2 cents.. choose between:
1. Paranoid Android - tablet mode, individual app settings, etc ([JB:CM10:HYBRD] PARANOIDANDROID [2.1, True HybridMode, Size & UI on Per App Basis] - Nexus 7 Development - RootzWiki)
2. AOKP - Great feature list, stability, etc (AOKP | grouper | JB | Build-4 - Device Threads - RootzWiki)
2. CM10 - Similar, some different features than AOKP. I recommend going with the Euroskank CM10 kang if you want to give CM10 a shot. It's generally agreed to be a bit more stable and has more features than the official CM10, as the dev cherry picks some extras ([CM10][Jellybro] Grouper Nightly Kangs - Nexus 7 Development - RootzWiki)

Have fun :)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I am currently using a nexus 7 just finished setting up a custom recovery of the 3 above which ones do you use and why ?

Currently I run AOKP. I just enjoy their feature set more than the others, and respect the team a lot for what they brought to the Gnex (among other devices). Everyone is going to have their own opinion is nobody is right or wrong though.. I recommend reading up on all the features available in the ROMs, and ideally, trying them all and deciding what impresses you most. You can do a full wipe, flash the ROM and gapps, and skip setting up everything, just dive into the ROM features and see what you think. Then do the same for the next until you have enough info to make a good decision. And all of the above ROMs are updated with new features and stuff fairly often, so its always good to take some time and keep up to date with them :)

jeff1304

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Currently I run AOKP. I just enjoy their feature set more than the others, and respect the team a lot for what they brought to the Gnex (among other devices). Everyone is going to have their own opinion is nobody is right or wrong though.. I recommend reading up on all the features available in the ROMs, and ideally, trying them all and deciding what impresses you most. You can do a full wipe, flash the ROM and gapps, and skip setting up everything, just dive into the ROM features and see what you think. Then do the same for the next until you have enough info to make a good decision. And all of the above ROMs are updated with new features and stuff fairly often, so its always good to take some time and keep up to date with them :)

Is there any threads that give full feature lists of them not just the new ones ?

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Is there any threads that give full feature lists of them not just the new ones ?

Heh.. it can be tricky to find that sometimes.. that's also why I suggested trying them out and seeing for yourself what is available. Paranoid is CM10-based, but includes advanced settings for tablet mode UI styles and for settings the UI for individual apps. The PA thread I linked to actually explains that pretty well. Otherwise it should contain the same features as CM10.

But yeah you kind of have to be willing to try them to really get an idea what's in there.